• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Redistributing Poser Dynamic Hair without the base figure - a solution

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
OK - so I now have a "KinkStrength" thuimbnail that I am happy with. So - current status this lunchtime is:

1. The day-job tasks as they come up (often they surprise me - I usually don't know when a big job is going to hit until it has).

2. TrueHair:
a) Make some other minor improvements to !CoverInHair (ability to set hair length and verts when they are created rather than changing them afterwards)
b) Document !CoverInHair improvements (ignore body parts, ignore materials, other options)
c) Thumbnail design for zero Clumpliness. Really quite low priority, I might do some fiddling about when I have only a few moments to spare.
d) Tutorials for the readme
e) Promos for TrueHair - especially the main one
f) Produce more ready-to-use presets of some sort for TrueHair (both materials and "proper" TrueHair presets
g) Probably turn some "double" sets of actions into "triple" sets... yeah, it's been bugging me and I now have icons designed for most actions - see Length example.

3. Digging out the ground to put a foundation in for my shed. MY SHED!

Plus of course, testing testing testing with a side-order of bug fixing and/or error code followed by a desert of testing. Including reading the "ReadMe", which currently stands at 54 pages long.

Cheers,

Cliff

KinkStrength.png

Length.png

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
One click of !CoverInHair (plus a render) by default gets you this:

CoverDefault.jpg

I like that because it uses the Poser defaults, which means it matches anything I do in the hair room manually before I start increasing things or decreasing things and so on.

But if you're comfortable with a text editor and can follow instructions, you could mess about and change the default settings. I wouldn't recommend it, but you COULD change the defaults to do this with one click of !CoverInHair (plus a render):

CoverChangedDefaults.jpg

I know, because I just did that during testing. I won't keep that setting though, because there are a limited number of figures that I want coating in cat fur.

Cheers,

Cliff

NB the changes were: Material, Length, Verts, KinkStrength, PullBack, PullDown, Clumpiness and Density

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I'm not sure I've ever had as much fun writing a tutorial that wasn't "live" (writing a tutorial "live" on-forum is better because of the interaction).

Even though most of the parameters are still at default, can I assume that one of these is better than the other?
03 Dusk 003.jpg

03 Dusk 009.jpg

Cheers,

Cliff

PS PLEASE let the 9th image from the 3rd tutorial be the one people prefer over the 3rd image from the third tutorial!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
ROFL, Cliff! Love your humor.

But this is sooooooooo exciting! I bet there's a lot more folks than me who've been anxious to try real hair beards and such and you're making it possible.

This is gonna be fun!

But yeah, 03 Dusk 009 is the better image.

eclark1894

Visionary
I couldn't resist getting in on some of the conversations. One thing that kind of bothers me, Cliff, is the sparseness of hair in some areas. Do we just need a higher hair count or thicker hair?

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I couldn't resist getting in on some of the conversations. One thing that kind of bothers me, Cliff, is the sparseness of hair in some areas. Do we just need a higher hair count or thicker hair?
Don't resist. Resistance is useless.

There are a number of factors. Certainly increasing the Density helps, but so too does increasing the RootWidth.

One thing that I mention in the ReadMe/Manual/War-And-Peace is that dynamic hair density isn't a constant - it's variable based on the number of polygons in an area. More polys = higher density for a given volume. So if a figure varies in density drastically you're probably going to want to even things out by having more hair groups that have different Density values to even things out.

In fact, the 3rd image from the third tutorial is specifically there to point out that:

1. CoverInHair is NOT always what you want or need.
2. Hair Density varies as a factor of polygon density.

I am honestly trying to keep the page count down, but including Contents pages I'm already at 84 pages and 13,658 words just because I want to try and touch on such things.

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Here are some of the images, from the first tutorial in the series showing the effect of using Density+ and RootWidth+ - those are the only tools being used here to make the fur look thicker.

DensityAndRootWidth.gif

Obviously there is a LOT more that goes in to making "good art" with hair - textures, lighting, shadows - everything - and most of that will be out of my control and in the hands of the artists. But I'm trying to provide at least some direction to try and help.

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
However much or little effort is put in to adding hair to the hat, it takes the same amount of effort to add hair to the whole coat (cue image showing IIRC 17 hair props that take as much effort as 1 hair prop).

02 Dawn Fur Ensemble 004.jpg

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, I could always increase the number of polys in the hat if you wish, but would subdividing it in Poser be the same thing? I know Poser can handle an increased number of polys now.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I believe the hair room acts on the base subdivision, no matter how much subd you are using. I may be wrong, but that is what I have read.

However, both root density and hair density work on the base subdivision and make the hair as thick as you'd like. Here's the hat with root density increased just once.
Hat-Rounded.jpg

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I believe the hair room acts on the base subdivision, no matter how much subd you are using. I may be wrong, but that is what I have read.

Sorry I was AWOL for a bit.

You have read correctly - Poser applies SubD after the hair Groups are defined, so that won't increase the density. While I was out I was quite startled to see a lady wearing eclark1894's hat - in black fur. I had to look quite closely because mostly what I saw was "black hat" rather than noticing hair detail - all the hair detail that told me what the hat WAS was around the edges. Otherwise it looked, well, just like a black hat.

And I think that render of the hat is particularly nice.

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Having slept on it, I believe my initial response sucked. It wasn't incorrect, but my point of view was skewed - I wasn't taking into account the idea that you might want to provide the best furry hat that you can for people to RENDER with - I was thinking purely in terms of illustrating how TrueHair helps do things with Poser Dynamic Hair - and they aren't the same thing.

OK. So. Let me take a look at the hat mesh with a view to making the hat the best it can be rather than anything else.

OK - first observation - the geometry says "fur hate clark" (if you automatically read spaces into everything you read). This may well be - but don't feel down, I would never have started TrueHair if Poser Dynamic Hair was pleasant to use. So I consider you to be in good company.

Second observation - Polygon Density *consistency* is an issue, as far as putting hair on is concerned. Here - let me go take a screen capture... OK, on the top of the hat you've got some very tight polys towards the centre. Possibly the center as nearly everyone is in America? OK, let's go with the middle. In fact overall the polys seem to be larger towards the outside getting smaller towards the middle. This causes hair density variation. Ideally we would aim for the polys to be "about the same" all the way across the top (except... see later) and nice, regular flow. Avoid the "star" pattern if you can by dragging points in or out around the centre to "square them off".

You look to have plenty of polygons from my point of view, they could just do with being distributed differently.

Towards the outer edge of the hat you have increased polygon density. Forget everything I said above, this is great. I might personally be tempted to have fewer "tight" polygons around the edge of the top, but the idea here is to increase poly/hair density to help remove the "bare seam" look around the top edge. You could even have the loops increase there to give a "bunched seam" look to it, as in reality/ glitterati3D's coat.

Now let's look at the side - OK, comparing the side to the top the mesh density is lower. This suggests either decreasing the density of the top overall to match the sides or increasing the mesh density around the sides. Personally I like the overall density of the sides and the general consistency of polygon sizes, but it's your call. The more polygons you put in the easier it would be for Gliterati3d to come up with pleasing morphs - the fewer polygons you put in the lighter the model will be in an end-user's scene. I PERSONALLY would rather try to match the top polygons to this density than the other way around, but that won't make morphing easier :)

Top and bottom creases. I can see that you've already increased the density around the top of the sides - this should be helping towards "hiding" the seam between the top and the sides, but I think it should go further. Try to increase the density of the "hi-def" loops around the side until they look like they match the "hi-def" seam loops around the top. That should do a much better job of creating a consistent "flow" of fur over the edge (I doubt we'll ever get rid of a change in density there, but we shouldn't - real fur density reduces where you fold it, and can increase where you have a stitched seam).

I'm afraid I couldn't see much in the way of detail on the lady's hat yesterday - all I got was "black" with a furry black silhouette.

The increased density around the bottom of the hat already looks great IMO. Perhaps you could give the hat multiple material zones - "hat_top", "hat-sides" and "hat-rim". even "hat-inner" if you're feeling in an excessive mood. These would make adding hair more difficult usually, but with TrueHair it will make no difference - but it DOES mean that we have more fine-grained control over hair density (and colour?) in one zone compared to the next. So we might put shorter hair around the rim, for example, than across the rest of the hat. this could help the wearer to see where they are going!

Don't get all frantic about "doing the BEST job". There is no such beast. Wanting to do better is admirable - at least, I think so because it is slowing me down doing TrueHair because I want it to be EXCELLENT. One of my common phrases that I say to my son is that "good enough isn't good enough!". Don't catch my disease! Certainly don't try for perfection because you cannot match EVERY expectation. Getting the polys across the top of the hat a consistent size match for the side is no mean feat (it is, after all, a circle), and my previous reticence to suggesting it was partly based on the amount of effort involved in doing the BEST hat, not really considering that you can do a BETTER hat that you can be more proud of when you see people's renders of it.

Making the polygons longer towards the middle should help even out the overall density on the top in the easiest way I can think of - so we have long, thin polys at the middle of the hat, thicker, shorter polys towards the rim and the really thin, fat polys at the rim to create the "seam"

I will rarely "see" renders of TrueHair. I'll see renders of your hat, or of Glitterati3D's coat, or of Poser Dynamic Hair. My apologies for not detailing ways that we might improve the hat earlier. I was selfishly considering TrueHair/me more than hat/you, and shall go flog myself mercilessly.

Or not, in case I like it!

Cheers,

Cliff

eclarkhat.jpg

Last edited: