• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Redistributing Poser Dynamic Hair without the base figure - a solution

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Can we add into the discussion of Earl's hat the time already invested in UV mapping, grouping and rigging please? Not to mention the custom morphs already created.

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Yup - my brain just automatically sees the most... amusing? version of everything my eyes feed it. It's REALLY annoying that way!

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Can we add into the discussion of Earl's hat the time already invested in UV mapping, grouping and rigging please? Not to mention the custom morphs already created.

Absolutely! That was a part of my initial "It's good as it is" reaction. Because it IS good as it is, you've already rigged and done morphs, I've already done pages documenting fur with it that would have to be redone.

I have a kinda midway suggestion that doesn't cover everything but could be a halfway-house solution - more morphs. Or at least one, that shuffles the top of the head polys to make them more even and possibly tightens up some polys at the top of the sides. That's was in fact my first thought on how to address what I THINK eclark1894 is perceiving as areas that could be improved, and the only reason I didn't suggest it was because it would mess with the UVs (me being selfish again and looking towards the chapter where I expect to start throwing in textures, which such morphs would not help).

Personally I stand my ground that the hat is good, but if the originator wants to to better then I absolutely will support that. Once I get my brain in the right gear to do that.

It just... takes me a while to shift gear into thinking about anyone else!

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Working on Tut 4 today - how to turn a single Hair Group into two Hair Groups to the betterment of the hair.

04 Dawn 001.jpg

04 Dawn 007.jpg

Tut 5 is currently scheduled to be about customising TrueHair... though I might change it into making a moustache for Dusk. Or possibly a TrueHair Preset for the house cat?

Cheers,

Cliff

Last edited:

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
In what way?

Primary goal: Make it possible to save hair, distribute hair without main figure, load hair.
Secondary goal: Make it easier to create multiple hair groups across a figure and then apply the most useful tweaks (length, density, material) on a figure-wide basis.

Poser Dynamic Hair all the way - just providing an alternative method to put the broad strokes in, as it were.

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I just recorded a whole video with sound turned off :(

Maybe the next time I record it my son won't come asking me questions in the middle?

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I'm just trying to understand how True Hair works exactly.
Does
help?

No video editing, no cuts, no nothing. It's "As Live".

If anyone thinks that "TrueHair" looks a little simple in use... well, that's kinda the point. To be easy to do things that are hard work/laborious without it.

Cheers,

Cliff

PS I had a drive crash the other day, so I'm going through the whole package both documenting it and checking for file corruption, and re-doing whatever is necessary. So far very little has needed to be re-made, thanks goodness.

Last edited:

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I'm happy to get suggestions on improving my hair textures by the way - this is a SuperFly texture. I haven't done much to it so I'm sure it can easily be improved upon.

Cheers,

Cliff

04 Dawn 009.png

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Poser has been fighting me all day. Turns out the best way to work with LOTS of hair is to have the hair turned off and just work on the groups.

This still has a fair way to go to be a good cat - more length variation, turn Clumpiness off, material work and so forth - but this is probably as far as I can take the HiveWire cat for today at least (21:00 here).

This is mostly work on testing and producing the documentation on "How to Do Stuff". The kit doesn't concentrate on the cats, or even the HiveWire figures, but I've got to use SOMETHING to show how it all works!

Cheers,

Cliff

LatestCat.jpg

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I keep forgetting some of my own hints and tips, and falling into traps Poser sets me. Ah well - I'm almost convinced that this has to be the last pic of the HouseCat for now.

MidNightForest.jpg

It's not much improved over the last image but I've got a hankering to play about with Earl's hat and see if we can't even out the hair distribution somewhat. Maybe even apply a texture (something I've not done yet - I haven't even looked at the template to see the UV layout).

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I meant to post this here not over in the Big Cat thread...

Loading the Hivewire HouseCat Preset currently takes two clicks - one to load the groups, one to grow the hair - because I was working on the groups a lot recently.

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
As I'm looking at Earl's hat - specifically making it look softer - I've added two new functions to TrueHair that spread across all the hair on a figure - VisibleInRaytrace and CastsShadows now toggle on and off.

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Last time I posted the "Dawn fur Coat and hat Ensemble" it looked something like this (though in a different pose and from further away). I have spent much of this evening writing up "things to do to make it look prettier" as a tutorial in the manual.

I have (so far) left the coat as-is so that it's easy to compare the hat to the coat at each stage of the tutorial and see if the hat is looking better.

06 Earl's Hat Revisited 001b_0001.jpg