• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Redistributing Poser Dynamic Hair without the base figure - a solution

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I
Just think ... if we all put together everything we knew, we'd be experts!
Actually, that's something I was thinking of putting in the "workflow" section of the TrueHair manual. What I'm working on at the moment is testing in Poser9, Poser10, and Poser11 Pro at the same time as writing the documentation (both "standard" and "advanced") for each function, but after that I need/intend to write a bit more about using the Hair Room to tweak things like - for example - the length of hair on the head as opposed to the main body, or areas around the eyes, or adding a "fringe" or "Beard", or using a transmap to smooth out the hairline so it's not so "jaggy". Or perhaps suggesting splitting Hair Groups down an axis.

However, I'm not ready to write that yet - and a clients brand new SSD has just arrived (hours early!) so I need to scoot off and install it for him (along with much else) in his brand new shiny PC.

Cheers,

Cliff

PS do we want functions to reset "Pull Back" and "Pull Down" to zero across the body? And/or to increase or decrease the values?

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Perhaps to zero. But I found when I did hair on the cat, that I needed to change those settings depending on the body part. For example, I used Pull Down on the legs, but I used Pull Back on the thighs, torso, and neck.

Then too, I may approach gravity and pull back/pull down differently than others. I tend to use pull back and pull down to do the "heavy lifting," and use gravity to fine tune.

eclark1894

Visionary
You know, a "cover with fur" button is a convenient tool for certain items.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That might actually work Tracy. The style is certainly fine for a fur coat, though without the breast pocket.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well there you go. You're ready for Cliff's goodie when he's got it ready. ;)

Just think ... if we all put together everything we knew, we'd be experts!

A really helpful feature would be hair/fur poly groups defined on a figure.
If there could be some collaboration on this tool then maybe some artists could contribute for certain characters.
The HiveWire Housecat is an example on which poly groups need to be defined for use as hair growth groups.
That could save others even more work.
I ripped down my code for FuzzyDuzzit so that it just looks for hair polys on each actor of a figure (body parts)
and makes a list of poly indices for actors that have multiple hair groups, or not all polys covered.
This data is saved in a prop in the custom data section.
The reason for this is that when the prop is loaded it is attached to the scene and easy to access,
and won't get inadvertantly garbage collected.
Also, the data entries in the data prop are selected by keyword like in a dictionary which makes them easy to get.
Since hair is built on actors i.e. actor.CreateHairGroup() then it might make a nice standard to
have the entries keyed by body part. Which is how this script works.
So this script would be used by the artist who has defined the growth groups on the figure.
Then maybe Bowman could add an option to use the data in the prop, or some file that holds this.
The script does not save the data prop to the library, so that it can be placed wherever the artist wants it.

Attachments

• FurPolyGroupsTools.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 341

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually, I have a hat that has fur made with the hair room. Looks pretty darn good too!
WOW, hot pink fur. ;)

Actually that Trapper Hat would be good for outdoor renders during winter months in the mountains.

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I think I've used fur for fur hats but I have tended more towards displacement for them most of the time.

No work on this since my last post due to working for a living (to be honest, right now I cannot even reach my main PC!)

Cheers,

Cliff

PS presets for different figures are a definite prospect - it's the original premise

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Sweete Flyte Shirt and Boho Deirdre Boots covered in hair.

Turned out rather well. Cliff's solution would have made it quicker and easier.

Dynamic clothing would be easier to "furify" than conforming ... just because there are fewer hair groups that would need to be made.

2017-11-25 Test Render.png

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Thanks - I've been kinda distracted for a couple of days but am hoping to make some serious testing/documenting/progress today. For example, there's a couple of extra thumbs now for a couple of extra features (PullBack and PullDown) and my new backup drive is nearly ready, with the first good backup to it completing very soon I hope (I have a history of file loss that I am hoping to cure by taking backups more frequently). Also the "Delete" thumb now has the red X that I'd always intended, and the load and save routines have been tweaked to allow for things like not actually growing the hair - just creating the hair groups and leaving it at that. Should be good for "Hair Group Presets" that don't grow the hair an get in the way of designing more complex Hair Group zones.

Cheers,

Cliff... patiently waiting for his file backup to complete. Oh yes he is!

Thumbs20171128.jpg