• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

realistic Armor for females

scatha

Adventurous
Getting back to the original question, what SORT(s) of realistic, good-coverage armour would people like to see? What era, what geographical location or culture? Most of my art is fantasy, but I can appreciate a good reproduction of an actual historical set (or, more commonly, wince at the other sort). Mix-and-match is good: make the base something that could be used in a historical render, such as a padded aketon and basic mail shirt over it, a mail coif and plain helmet, then have elements that can be added if the setting is fantasy, such as strapped on vambraces, shoulder guards, helmet morphs and additions, and so on.

I very seldom see (for male OR female characters) sets that include somewhere to keep weaponry when not using it. Axe-rings, baldricks, knife sheaths and so on. They exist, just not in great number. You can find swords with scabbards, but not many armour sets include a means of attaching third party weaponry like that. I like to imagine that the reason there's so much fighting in fantasy settings is because humans and elves never wear scabbards, so they have to carry their swords in their hands all the time, so the nice peaceful goblins and orcs assume that they're about to be attacked and defend themselves accordingly. ;)

Dark Age Scale Armor 3D Figure Assets Deacon215

This is a good set and example. Just bought this including helmets and weapons ( separate parts)

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Getting back to the original question, what SORT(s) of realistic, good-coverage armour would people like to see? What era, what geographical location or culture? Most of my art is fantasy, but I can appreciate a good reproduction of an actual historical set (or, more commonly, wince at the other sort). Mix-and-match is good: make the base something that could be used in a historical render, such as a padded aketon and basic mail shirt over it, a mail coif and plain helmet, then have elements that can be added if the setting is fantasy, such as strapped on vambraces, shoulder guards, helmet morphs and additions, and so on.

I very seldom see (for male OR female characters) sets that include somewhere to keep weaponry when not using it. Axe-rings, baldricks, knife sheaths and so on. They exist, just not in great number. You can find swords with scabbards, but not many armour sets include a means of attaching third party weaponry like that. I like to imagine that the reason there's so much fighting in fantasy settings is because humans and elves never wear scabbards, so they have to carry their swords in their hands all the time, so the nice peaceful goblins and orcs assume that they're about to be attacked and defend themselves accordingly. ;)

Well actually I'd also like to see some peace knotted weapons.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I think Kristen Stewart in the Huntsman pulls it off pretty well

Although beautifully crafted is the set from Alice in Wonderland note the boob shelf!

Minyassa

Enthusiast
Little kind of topic. I totelly hate it when playing games that when ever I pick a female character warrior. She is dressed in those darn plate bikinis. Dammit I too want full body armor. If I would ever fight dragons and demons (or anything that require me to fight with my life at risk) no F*** way I would only wear plate bikini - no I would wear full armor set.

That's one of the reasons I love Lord of the Rings Online so much. No skimpwear, period, not even out of armor. Heck, a totally unequipped toon is still wearing total coverage jammies. Very respectful to their female toons, overall.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Funny thing, I almost never look at the daily e-mails I get from Daz anymore, since pretty much everything is DS only. But I happened to look today and they have both a "sci-fi samurai" outfit and some chain mail. I was about to say that both sets avoided the bad breast plate problem we were talking about. But then I clicked the link on the samurai set because I realized from the promo picture in the e-mail you couldn't really see the chest. Although there isn't really any exposed skin, there do seem to be some strange 'nipple doors' on the breastplate. Even more sad, they aren't just a texture, but seem to be modeled into the geometry. Which is too bad, because it's a really cool design other than that, but having noticed those, they are all I can see now.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
The samurai stuff made me roll my eyes. The tunic and chain mail, on the other hand looks quite usable. It's Valandar's, so I get the impression that it's intended for kit bashing.

scatha

Adventurous
I got that tunic &chainmail set today, looks very usable, fairly nice to pose with extra handles(bones) for the skirt. it was a pleasant surprise.

I combined it with parts of Zkuro's Norse set(boots,pauldrons and fur collar) and Kadis gauntlets.

Last edited:

scatha

Adventurous
Come to think of it, both these kitbash options have but one shortcoming... no belts that can be used to attach a scabbard to. :( So solving that will be my next step.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
The recently released Kadis "armor" has a magnificent sword belt. Actually it's practically nothing *but* the sword belt. Plus boots and gauntlets, of course. And a really silly fantasy helmet.

Back some years ago in one of these threads over on the DAZ set, someone came up with the theory that all of these female "armor" sets were probably designed by a dragon. Weigh down the arms and legs so they can't run or fight, and leave everything else wide open so the metal bits don't stick in your teeth.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Come to think of it, both these kitbash options have but one shortcoming... no belts that can be used to attach a scabbard to.

Workin' on it:

Young Swordsman 2.png

This is why I need to improve my buckle modelling skills, because at this stage it has none! I know this is on Axel, not a female character, but the base is single-sided poly and thus easy to refit for various models male AND female.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
@scatha , LOL! I'm just a re-enactor who hangs around with re-enactors from other periods, who include a lot of people with a lot of swords (and several ladies who wear armour and fight, including myself when both knees are in full working order).

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Workin' on it:

View attachment 23797

This is why I need to improve my buckle modelling skills, because at this stage it has none! I know this is on Axel, not a female character, but the base is single-sided poly and thus easy to refit for various models male AND female.
Oh Like that idea of a sword bandolier/baldric very Scottish.

I also like this rig for long sword style.

Last edited: