• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

realistic Armor for females

scatha

Adventurous
What is on the top of my wishlist is functional armor for female figures (V4/Genesis2&3, sorry DS-user here) that actually protects vital parts, including a helmet (without horns). I've been limited to Xurge's woodranger armor for quite some time now (retextured to suit my needs) and i'm sick and tired of these skimpwear chainmail bikini's....

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
To be brutally honest, there never really WAS much armour for women- they just didn't fight normally ( Joan of Arc excepted). Only in Hollywood do you find much in the way of female warriors - hence the "normal skimp-ware" stuff. IF a female fought, she'd most likely have worn the relevant male armour of the period. But still, the comment is still valid - there is a lack of REALISTIC, historically correct armour out there, especially in the field of medieval plate armour. Mail armour is much better represented.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
To be brutally honest, there never really WAS much armour for women- they just didn't fight normally ( Joan of Arc excepted). Only in Hollywood do you find much in the way of female warriors - hence the "normal skimp-ware" stuff. IF a female fought, she'd most likely have worn the relevant male armour of the period. But still, the comment is still valid - there is a lack of REALISTIC, historically correct armour out there, especially in the field of medieval plate armour. Mail armour is much better represented.

I guess you never heard of Queen Boudica of the Iceni during the early Roman occupation of Britain. Then, of course there are the Shield Maidens of the Norse which likely 1/4 of all invading Norse armies consisted of women. Where do you think the idea of Valkyries comes from?

I'm totally all in on this one!

I have a feeling that with all the bits and bobs of the plate mail it's rather a time consuming process and then add in the fact that it's to fit female form. Most of what I have seen fudges a bit on some areas.

A full set historically correct consisting of helmet, gorget or bevor, pauldrons, besagews, rondels, courters, vambraces, gauntlets, cuirass, fauld, tassets, culet, mail skirt, cuisses, poleyns, greaves, and sabatons.

Celestial armor is probably the most complete as far as parts go, but missing a few pieces like the besagews that protect the armpits and the extended foot covering or sabatons.

Celestial Armor | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D although for male's.

Last edited:

scatha

Adventurous
Napalm, I would not mind if it's just sturdy leather and chainmail for the vital areas, as long as it's functional and practical. breastplate, pauldrons, tassets, mail skirt, greaves, gauntlets. The big problem for me is the skimpwear.

The shieldmaidens of the Norsemen, The Celts & Picts... those women went to the battlefield alongside the men, but there's hardly any decent armor made for the females, which I think is a real shame.

Could be just me, but i'm not a great fan of Valandar's work, I often find too much wrong with it. (ill fitting, not enough adjustment fits, etc)

Last edited:

scatha

Adventurous

Sorry frey, but think of Celts, Picts, the females of the Norse.. these all fought alongside the men... later medieval ages this changed, most likely due to christianity.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Napalm, I would not mind if it's just sturdy leather and chainmail for the vital areas, as long as it's functional and practical. breastplate, pauldrons, tassets, mail skirt, greaves, gauntlets. The big problem for me is the skimpwear.

The shieldmaidens of the Norsemen, The Celts & Picts... those women went to the battlefield alongside the men, but there's hardly any decent armor made for the females, which I think is a real shame.

Could be just me, but i'm not a great fan of Valandar's work, I often find too much wrong with it. (ill fitting, not enough adjustment fits, etc)
True on that account about the fit, but BlueBird 3D does a pretty good job with the fit etc. on the Old World Knight even though still missing pieces and erm what's up with the helm? I would like a set for both Dawn and Dusk you could do some wicked nice renders with Harry.

Xurge does a pretty nice job and it's about the only thing I have found that works with Dawn other than converting something from V4 or above. I have quite a few of Xurge armor sets. I rather like the raider outfit of course I recolored to suit the render.

scatha

Adventurous
True on that account about the fit, but BlueBird 3D does a pretty good job with the fit etc. on the Old World Knight even though still missing pieces and erm what's up with the helm? I would like a set for both Dawn and Dusk you could do some wicked nice renders with Harry.

Xurge does a pretty nice job and it's about the only thing I have found that works with Dawn other than converting something from V4 or above. I have quite a few of Xurge armor sets. I rather like the raider outfit of course I recolored to suit the render.

Xurge is an exception, hence why I am using his woodranger outfit currently. (re-shaded)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
According to the Romans the celts went into battle naked iirc...I doubt that but would imagine that Boudica would have worn celtic style clothing rather than full metal armor into battle. More like what you see here celts armour - Google Search
Leather would be more likely with possibily a metal helmet...I'd rather like to get something like that for Dawn and Dusk though...

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
True Pen Boudica's was probably more of the Roman style cuirass with pauldrons. Although leather armor is pretty awesome too! And the Wolds IE Celts used tattoos as amor giving them protection and warding hence the skimpy attire if they fought naked then they had more protection as more of their tattoos were visible. Norse were more fond of the brigandine styles leather and metal that give a better range of movement and relied more heavily on their shields for protection.

Well there is Queen Elizabeth the I and the speech to the troops at Tilbury which led to them repelling the Spanish Armada and it is documented that she wore a silver helmet mounted on a grey charger and wore a silver cuirass with white tabard and cloak.
I think Kate Blanchet does it justice!

You can always check these out!
Chicks in Awesome (concealing) Armor and wish, but yeah an armor set for Dawn and Dusk is really needed. Throw in Rukus and Sora and you got yourself some Warcraft. The huntress is not bad, but would like to do some Medieval style renders romantic fairy tails.

Edit to add also there is Age of War - Avenger for Dawn - An Aura Shari 3D Creation although needs some leg plates for the hip and thigh. Really need to do a retexture on that at some point. I have the outfit.

Last edited:

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
But such armor absolutley kill thrill in most renders :( Dangerous lady becomes a joke.

And to armor construction - on photos you can see that realistic heavy armor is only in small details differs from men's. Slightly more volume in chest area, that's almost all. Except chainmail on Eowyn, but I think gambeson was way too thin in film. And only hobbit can wear mail without gambeson and get away with it :)

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I like and use both types of Armour, but for different types of renders. For more realistic portrayals I would use proper Armour but if I'm trying to do a render in the style of some one like Boris Vallejo Boris Vallejo - Wikipedia I would use skimpier stuff.
Like anything you use, you pick what works for the effect you are trying to achieve.

I think what kind of render you are doing dictates what kind of armor you wish to use when presenting the scene to the viewer, but also to has to do some with personal taste and everything of course is subjective.

I'm a fan of Boris Vallejo and his prodigy Julie Bell. They focus mainly on muscle groups and posing in their images you could get some good ideas for a pose pack viewing their art as they both are former body builders and yes they do use skimp wear armor, but it's rather tastefully done in my opinion.

Julie Bell art - Google Search

This is my favorite Julie Bell image. Love how the snake mirrors the curves of the human body and wow check out those frills. Pen, she has some wicked neat mermaids too.

I like how they handle the big cats too !

Last edited: