• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

realistic Armor for females

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Dawn definitely needs some good armor ... without the boobs please and thank you! Or at least, the "cups" could be a morph so that those of us who want armor that's not lethal to the wearer could have flat chested armor, and those going for show could have the "look I'm a girl!" armor :wink:

scatha

Adventurous
The new gentle paladin armor for G3F isn't bad at all

Britta.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Great armor...I think it's mainly the knee pads that bother me but I'm sure I can get that on Dawn with a bit of work.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well. How about that. Over at DAZ Midnight Stories just brought out a couple of armor sets for G3F.

*Full coverage* armor sets. People have been grousing about the skimpwear armor and evidently someone listened.

They don't look half bad -- although I can't say that they look altogether realistic, either. I kind of doubt that real armor would bend the way he is showing it bending. But it definitely covers the wearer. Although it needs a gorget as well, and the helmets are ridiculous, but that's pretty much to be expected. He's playing angels and demons so the two sets are virtually identical, except for the helmets, minor differences in the cauldrons, and sword, and the surface detail. Which I am not sure is modeled in, or if the clay renders are just shown with displacement/normal maps.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Yeah!! Pretty sweet, but I'm not thrilled about how the breastplate is set up. It rather sort of looks like a tube top, but still pretty sweet and it is missing a gorget.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Sheesh. Blooming autocorrect. Pauldrons, not cauldrons.
Yeah the breastplate (heavy on the 'breast' part) is a little annoying, but at least he didn't give it separate cups.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
They don't look half bad -- although I can't say that they look altogether realistic, either. I kind of doubt that real armor would bend the way he is showing it bending.

Hmm, it's an interesting design. Stylistically it looks a little form fitting for my taste, but I appreciate the effort. Also looking at the poses, a lot of effort may have gone into the rigging. It seems to be bending correctly at the arms and elbow, so the plate parts aren't bending around the joint, only the chain parts. But Looks like that didn't quite follow through to the knees. In the render of two versions fighting, it does look like behind the top of the greave the knees have bendy plate. You can only see if from certain angles, but you can see it. But not as much thought seems to have gone into the armored skirt. From the texture those appear to be plate as well, but. . . they bend and move in strange ways. Which is a really hard thing to get right. Which is why for my Elemental Elves, I decided to go dynamic rather than trying to rig each segment of a petruges separately (also mine is envisioned as leather, so it makes sense for it to be able to move and bend to some degree.).

That is however one of the big challenges in creating armor (actually it applies to many styles of 3d clothing, but armor tends to magnify the issue. 3D characters can move like contortionists, and there's a reason actual contortionists wear spandex, they can move anyway they need to in it. Many styles of clothing limit movement, but when you're trying to make something for sale the expectation is that any and all movements within the character limits should be supported. Much of the time that's not a problem, but you really have to think about it with something like armor. Just about every kind of fighting there is has some sort of basic stance with the feet shoulder width apart, and the knees bent to some degree to help make you more stable and so you are not knocked over. Fighting is full of all kinds of lunges and crouching and crazy moves, and you need armor that can be posed, but no one wherein full plate should be doing the splits, even if the 3d model can.

I also struggled with a smaller version of that issue making the bracers for Elemental Elves. I played around with both making them full rigged conforming items, and making them smart props. The trick is because of the great bending an weight mapping on the Hivewire figures, when the forearm twists it changes the shape of the arm and the muscle causing a bulge near the elbow among other things. As a normal smart prop, the bracer didn't work when the arm was twisted. It got out of place, and there was poke through. When I made it a rigged conforming item, all of that was fixed easily enough, but it also caused the shape of the bracer to twist and warp slightly. Not an issue if it had been cloth, but on an item textured as metal it looked horribly wrong.

So I went back to a smart prop and made a MCM that moved and scaled the bracer with the twist so the overall shape of the armband never changed, but you could pose the figure and have it stay in place. Similarly I added a morph to shorted the bracer, partly as a style option, but also so you could bend the arm pretty far without poke through. If it were a real bracer, you actually wouldn't want to bend your arm much past 90 degrees just because of comfort, but I thought making it shorter so it didn't collide with the upper arm on such a pose was a perfectly fine. (I decided there was a practical limit where there was no way it could possibly look realistic to have the arm bent all the way because of the thickness of the item.)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
@Gadget Girl Boiled leather bends... ;)

Yes it does. Not sure which of my bending critiques you were referencing though. I guess that's the thing, even though all 3d models are made of the mysterious substance called polygons, how you choose to texture them makes all the difference if things look like they are bending correctly or not.

In other news on things that are too bendy. . . if there are any games in this thread, I'm wondering if you guys are bothered by how dynamic cloth is used in newer games the way I am? It seems like someone figured out a way to run realtime cloth sims in a lot of games and just hit the go button. I wanted to find an example of the how silly it looks when a character in Bloodborne goes down an elevator and the tails of their long coat float around their head. Took me a while to find a video of this, evidently not everyone things it's as silly as I do:

But it drives me crazy. Because everything behaves like this, whether it's meant to be leather, a tattered cloak, or whatever. I feel like these people approach cloth sims backwards. They look for what looks interesting when the character does subtle movements, but it's an action game, and I think it's better if thing look good when characters do dramatic movements.

Okay, that was my gamer rant.

My favorite cloth physic abuse from a game is in Conan Exiles from Funcom. It is a survival game that can feature full nudity if you choose. The models are also sort of anatomically correct and they have used cloth physics to simulate movement of the poor male avatar's privates. Every time I see some poor guy respawn naked and his weenie flows with the breeze I shudder. Then I almost always notice the "size" slider has obviously been set to max and snicker at that.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol...people used to try and do that for elderscroll games I still remember a bouncy boobs mod someone was working on years ago was when physics was first introduced iirc it was for oblivion.