• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

realistic Armor for females

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I would love to see some realistic armor for women too. I think the key is to base it off of the equivalent male armor of the period you are going for. But I also get why it's not out there. I've thought about how to make it a lot. Someday my skills may be up to it, but they aren't there now. It's the rigging that I think is tricky. I think you would really need to know the figure you were making it for very well, so you could make sure the parts of the armor line up correctly with the body parts, so they don't bend in ways armor shouldn't.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
You also can get some ill fitting areas like with the Celestial armor from Daz. He he wonder if we should pester Chris about making some plate mail? Would go great for fighter types with his Rukus character.

scatha

Adventurous
Might be worth a try... though he may mind the pestering part.. and I want to be able to fit it to G3F.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
BV and JB have always been my fave artists. I also like Royo and Stokes.
I don't mind skimpware but when you want to do realistic art it is just wrong.

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol...it's actually a nice little moscato as I prefer the sweeter wines...this one is not too sweet though and is going down a treat!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Not Muscat...that's a dessert wine, moscato. I haven't heard of hypocras before...sounds a bit like mulled wine though.
Google Shopping – Product not found
This is one of my favourites but you can't go wrong with Brown Brothers...

I hope the link works for some reason it's saying product not found but when I click on it, it goes where it's supposed to...

scatha

Adventurous
hypocras is a sort of mulled wine, spiced and sweetened with honey. I used to buy some at medieval festivals in France, when I lived there.

scatha

Adventurous
I would love to see some realistic armor for women too. I think the key is to base it off of the equivalent male armor of the period you are going for. But I also get why it's not out there. I've thought about how to make it a lot. Someday my skills may be up to it, but they aren't there now. It's the rigging that I think is tricky. I think you would really need to know the figure you were making it for very well, so you could make sure the parts of the armor line up correctly with the body parts, so they don't bend in ways armor shouldn't.

Period is easily named for me... 'Dark Ages' mostly, while I lived in France for 7 years I did a lot of research on the subject. Plate armor is more late middle Ages and early renaissance. Leather and chain is more dark ages.

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
BV and JB have always been my fave artists. I also like Royo and Stokes.
I
don't mind skimpware but when you want to do realistic art it is just wrong.
LOVE Luis Royo !! He has a way of playing with light and shadows that is astounding ! He also is really big with the beautiful and the beastly in his art work!
Yes, also a fan of Anne Stokes, Nene Thomas fairies, horses, elves,dragons, Ruth Thompson dragons, fairies, and horses, Victoria Francis Gothic/Vampires, Larry Elmore dragons and RPG characters, and Olivia for your pinups.
Royo

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Good morning...That makes sense...mead is nice also.

Thanks for the info on Nene Thomas...I haven't seen those before. I need to see if we have room anywhere and then I need to convince my husband we must have one! Still deciding which I would like to have though.

Minyassa

Enthusiast
It’s Time to Retire “Boob Plate” Armor. Because It Would Kill You.

Something to consider....

Myself is kind of sick of all "Breast plates, plate bikini - no protection at all - just look sexy" armory that is for the ladies.

So very much this. Ye gods. Even armor that offers great coverage, like Xurge's suits, still tends to be modeled around breasts to some degree. I'd really love to see someone making armor for females that does NOT have that feature. It is like modeling a car for women that has a boob-shaped steering wheel, just completely silly and unnecessary. I know from personal experience in the SCA as a heavy fighter that a well-endowed chest is already squished beyond recognition under one's arming clothes for the sake of safety and comfort, so even if it wasn't potentially deadly to be funneling your opponent's sword straight into the weakest and most vulnerable part of your breastplate, you'd end up with two bubbles of empty space there and an uncomfortable point in the middle pushing against padding, so there is NO freaking point in building it that way. Just say no to the breastsplate!

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
To be brutally honest, there never really WAS much armour for women- they just didn't fight normally ( Joan of Arc excepted).

Women did fight, but they generally had to pretend to be men to do so. Those we know about were those who were ultimately UNsuccessful in maintaining their cover as men; there may have been others who were never unmasked (un-trousered?). The Knights Templar had a rule that all members of the order had to grow beards. You could read something between the lines on that one!

Where this is ultimately leading me is that historically, women wore men's armour to fight. I've done so myself, for re-enactments (women can fight there too, although some societies have a requirement that they, too, must make themselves look as much like a man as reasonably possible, fake beards NOT required). If you are reasonably athletic it's not any particular problem, and it, erm, flattens you down so nothing sticks out and gets in the way. I know of absolutely nobody who has ever tried to model something to cover this side of history, with the possible exception of Mulan-esque attempts.

*Edit* Points to Minyassa's post above. That!

jecnodde

Admirable
Little kind of topic. I totelly hate it when playing games that when ever I pick a female character warrior. She is dressed in those darn plate bikinis. Dammit I too want full body armor. If I would ever fight dragons and demons (or anything that require me to fight with my life at risk) no F*** way I would only wear plate bikini - no I would wear full armor set.

Riccardo

Adventurous
LOVE Luis Royo !! He has a way of playing with light and shadows that is astounding ! He also is really big with the beautiful and the beastly in his art work!

My favourite is probably Vallejo, but I've always considered this one by Royo one of the best fantasy images ever...
It's called "The Wings of Reflection" and is seen at its best in the actual portrait proportions, though :)
http://www.dana-mad.ru/gal/display.php?img=1836