• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Problems with Dynamics Sim

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I am having issues with doing a sim on a dress. It's dynamic, not conforming, I've gone through the sim tutorials 5 times. I tried setting the pose at 30 and setting the pose at 21 and then letting it finish out to 30.
All of the parameters on the dress are set to default (zero). This is a screen shot, so maybe someone ca see what I'm doing wrong. Thank you.

Note - grey box added to comply with TOS

1.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Actually Dakorillon, a screenshot of your settings in the Cloth Room would be more helpful. It's possible some of them need to be adjusted. I have several of Lully's dynamic outfits for Dawn, but not that particular set. The Cloth Room is where any adjusting needs to be done to get it lay properly at the end of the sim.

BTW, I'm assuming you have the dress "parented" to Dawn.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
As far as I'm aware, I do. I dragged and dropped it onto Dawn.
Here is the Cloth Room screen shot (again, grey bar added to comply with TOS)

Cloth Room.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, I don't do drag and drop, but you can check in the Object > Change Parent menu. I, personally, like to parent a dress to the character's chest. By dragging and dropping, it may be parented to her hips, and that might cause a problem with the bodice not simming properly. I can't say for sure that's the problem, but it could be.

Also, I would suggest, from personal experience, that you unbend her forearms until the sim is finished, as that may be the problem with the skirt around her fingers. Just make a note of what the Bend settings are before you do, so you can reset them exactly as they were. Needless to say, with her hands right on her hips, some adjustments might be necessary as the fingers might be buried in the dress. I've had to do that on occasion.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It was parented to her hip, I changed it to Chest2, but it's as bad or worse.
I will do the unbend, but it's popping up over her shoulder, too.
I have done the adjust the hands, so that isn't as much of an issue, it's the peeping nipple and floating shoulder, and any other pose I try is just as bad. I'll change it to Chest1 and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the help.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, I'm in the middle of trying out one of Lully's other dresses with Dawn in the same pose. This dress also loaded parented to her hip, and yes, changing it to Chest 1 didn't solve the problem. I haven't played with the sim settings yet, so that may be where we can get it working. Give me a bit, and we'll see what I come up with.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Have you stepped through the simulation and made sure that the dress is not intersecting the body or hands at any point? If so, the "fabric" will catch on that body part and you would get results like that.

It doesn't look like her body is "that" twisted, but during a simulation, clothing can over compensate for rotations, with the result that it swings quite a bit in the opposite direction before swinging back.

Make sure you check from all sides (back, left, right), not just the front to be sure there is no intersection.

Last edited:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't think these settings are so much the problem as the dress is catching on the figure. But, I rarely leave Fold, Shear and Stretch Resistance, and Cloth Density at the default (5, 50, 50, 0.0050). Once you've made sure the dress isn't catching on the figure at any step during the simulation, I'd drop Fold down to 1, the two resistances down to 5 or 10. You might leave Cloth Density at the default since it's probably not a "weighty fabric," but I have better results with Cloth Density at 0.01 or 0.015.

upload_2017-5-11_19-54-18.png

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'll give those a try. The tutorial I was following didn't talk about that stuff. I do have it set to all of Dawn for the collide against. Lot's of stuff pokes through, is that what you are talking about with the friction?

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And ... one more thing.

What is your Collision Offset and Collision Depth set for Dawn?

1.000 is too high for clothing. It leaves too much space between the figure and the clothing. 0.3 / 0.25 work better.

upload_2017-5-11_19-59-31.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thanks for stepping in Satira. I was just playing with another of Lully's dresses and was having problems no matter what body part I had the dress parented to. I was about to play with the cloth settings because I don't usually use the default settings either.

The "fabric" I chose is velvet, so obviously "heavier" than the one Dakorillon is trying, but the top resistance settings are usually the ones that do the trick, as it were.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
One thing I have found when a dress goes really wonky, is that I forgot I had CHANGED DAWN'S POSE from one try to the next....so I started fresh, with no simulations there (was "just deleting" them before) ... made sure to just double click on the dress- it pops right on Dawn (in Frame 0) and since Lully's dresses have a dial that says Dynamics and it comes in set to 1.00 I just go to work- drag my slider to Frame 30, THEN POSE DAWN, and then go into the cloth room and create a NEW simulation.

Good luck!

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes, the body parts are poking through all over the place. I have it parented to Chest 1 at the moment.

How do I clear out the bottom thingy? Even when I tell it to delete the simulation, it stays in the bottom, so I can't try a different pose. I have to restart the whole thing. There has to be something to fix that.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
One thing I have found when a dress goes really wonky, is that I forgot I had CHANGED DAWN'S POSE from one try to the next....so I started fresh, with no simulations there (was "just deleting" them before) ... made sure to just double click on the dress- it pops right on Dawn (in Frame 0) and since Lully's dresses have a dial that says Dynamics and it comes in set to 1.00 I just go to work- drag my slider to Frame 30, THEN POSE DAWN, and then go into the cloth room and create a NEW simulation.

Good luck!
That is what I was doing. I was starting from 0 going to frame 21, putting the pose on, then going to the 0 frame and putting the dress on, setting the parent to Chest 1 or 2 or etc. Then doing the clothify, etc. then the new simulation.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Okay, did all the things that Satira said. I'm now re-simming. Takes a while on my computer despite 12GB RAM. :( Will report when it finishes.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
That is what I was doing. I was starting from 0 going to frame 21, putting the pose on, then going to the 0 frame and putting the dress on, setting the parent to Chest 1 or 2 or etc. Then doing the clothify, etc. then the new simulation.

uh....are you putting the dress on AFTER you pose her in your last frame? I had never heard of that order of things. I bring Dawn in, Frame 0, PUT THE DRESS ON RIGHT THEN, then drag slider to last frame, select Dawn and pose her. I NEVER TOUCH THE DRESS. Then I go into the cloth room.

Willowisp

Adventurous
Here is a tip you could try if the body is poking through too much when the sim starts; In frame one, set Dawns body to be as skinny as possible, that way the cloth will 'snag' less, the dress will 'grow' to fit the body during the sim

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
uh....are you putting the dress on AFTER you pose her in your last frame? I had never heard of that order of things. I bring Dawn in, Frame 0, PUT THE DRESS ON RIGHT THEN, then drag slider to last frame, select Dawn and pose her. I NEVER TOUCH THE DRESS. Then I go into the cloth room.
Yeah, the tutorial I was following said to do that, so that you could see if the hands, arms, legs, etc, were intersecting the body in such a way that it might snag the dress. Easier to see with the dress off. I have tried it your way, too, but had the same issue.