• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Problems with Dynamics Sim

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I also don't have that dress, but I tried the pose with Clarette Rose. The thumbs dig into the hips during the simulation, so that's definitely a problem.

What version of Poser are you using?

I would start a new scene.

Load Dawn (don't bother with any morphs at this point)
Load the dress.
Move to Frame 30 and apply the pose.
For now, unbend the forearms. (Right Bend 40, Left Bend -40.)
This will prevent the hands from catching in the dress. It's going to take a bit of fudging with the arms and hands to get them posed close to the hips without intersecting with the dress.

Create the simulation.
You can leave the settings at the default while testing.

So ... what's the bottom thingy? Can you post a screenshot?

What I often do if I'm having a problem with a pose is to change the end frame to 1 and apply the default pose then to the figure. That removes all the frames and helps clear out any odd figure contortions as a result of applying different poses, or adjusting body parts at various steps.

upload_2017-5-11_20-28-4.png

Then enter 30 in the end frame, and apply your pose.

Step through the animation, checking front, sides, and back.

upload_2017-5-11_20-29-14.png

Also, lock the camera in the first frame otherwise as the simulation runs, the camera will swing all over the place during the simulation. This will allow you to position the camera at a specific angle so you can watch the simulation frame by frame from that angle.

upload_2017-5-11_20-30-14.png

How do I clear out the bottom thingy? Even when I tell it to delete the simulation, it stays in the bottom, so I can't try a different pose. I have to restart the whole thing. There has to be something to fix that.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Okay, chose a pose where the hands don't touch the body at dress level, set things the way Satira said.
Here is the completed pose sim. I'm getting so frustrated with this, I've been trying to get this working for 3 weeks now.
Clipboard03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Here is a tip you could try if the body is poking through too much when the sim starts; In frame one, set Dawns body to be as skinny as possible, that way the cloth will 'snag' less, the dress will 'grow' to fit the body during the sim
Now that's something I might try. I just double-checked, and the bodice of the dress I'm playing with is "constrained", which is why I thought parenting it to Chest 1 would work best in my case. I also did unbend her forearms, but never thought to make her thinner than normal. I'm going to try that now.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
If you want to step through the simulation without the dress, just set the dress invisible. Once you're done looking at the pose itself, then make the dress visible.

It really doesn't matter at what point you load the dress, as long as you load it in frame 1. (Which also might not matter all that much either).

With a dress that has ruffles, you might not catch that a body part is intersecting the dress if you only check the pose without the dress loaded or visible.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
So ... what's the bottom thingy? Can you post a screenshot?

What I often do if I'm having a problem with a pose is to change the end frame to 1 and apply the default pose then to the figure. That removes all the frames and helps clear out any odd figure contortions as a result of applying different poses, or adjusting body parts at various steps.

Then enter 30 in the end frame, and apply your pose.

^^^^^^^
That is what I was talking about, so you answered that.
Will go through your steps.

I have Poser 11 not Pro

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah. It's majorly frustrating when you have problems with a dynamic outfit that no matter what you do.

That's the animation palette :wink:

In addition to making Dawn skinnier in Frame 1, then setting Thin to 0 in the last frame, you can scale up the dress in Frame 1, then scale it back to 100 a few frames later.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yeah. It's majorly frustrating when you have problems with a dynamic outfit that no matter what you do.

That's the animation palette :wink:

In addition to making Dawn skinnier in Frame 1, then setting Thin to 0 in the last frame, you can scale up the dress in Frame 1, then scale it back to 100 a few frames later.
I don't know how to make her skinnier other than setting her abdomen really small, I don't have a "thinner" dial that I can find.
I followed your instructions above other than that. Also, her body is already part out of the clothing in the 30 frame, so, I guess that stuff is catching? Don't know how to put it back in the dress.

Willowisp

Adventurous
If I understand your last comments correctly, the sim looks just fine, but as it finishes, the clothing sorta 'pops' out?

I had that happen once, but I contributed that to trying to fit a V4 jeans to Dusk, and the fit simply wasn't right. If that is the case here, I really don't know what to suggest..

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes, that is exactly what happens. It looks fine, nothing "poked through", then it finishes, and pops. The dress is made for Dawn, so, it's not that.

I guess I can try to find a pose that the clothing doesn't move much. It makes me sad, though. I thought I was figuring this stuff out, and then, "nah, just kidding!"

Willowisp

Adventurous
It's not the dress, I tried it myself in many different poses, and it works fine. (I used the old freebie version of the dress, I don't know if it got changed much before it was released commercially, but I doubt it.)

I can only guess it might be Poser itself, perhaps try rebooting your computer, who knows it might work

Edit: just for lulz, I tried the old V4 pants on Dusk again, and this time they didn't 'pop', Who knows why it does that sometimes?

Last edited:

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I've restarted my computer many times....I've been working on this for 3 weeks. over and over. From total beginnings, following tutorials, etc.
She did make some changes, but not many. I just need to get decent texture promo pictures....
Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Miss B

CV-BEE
The one thing I found now, and I'm still not having any success with the Peacock Dress 2, when I pose her, the skirt looks fine, but the top looks like it hasn't rotated with her even though I have it parented to her. I actually rotated the dress about 25% to get it fitting her properly, but it still doesn't sim correctly.

BTW, Dakorillon, there's a Full Body morph called BodyEmaciated, but I just tried it with no luck . . . so far. I'm not sure if you mentioned which version of Poser you're using, but I've heard that folks have had problems with the Cloth Room in P11/PP11, so I'm about to set up a new scene in Poser 9, where I usually have success, and see if it's just the newer version of Poser's Cloth Room acting up.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, it's definitely P11/PP11 Cloth Room. I just did this quick sim and render in P9 without any problems. I still need to adjust her fingers where they hit/intersect with the skirt, but otherwise, no major problems.

Janet-PeacockDress-P9.jpg

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I had problems with dynamic clothing in the first several versions of PP11. It wasn't that the outfit would freak out at the end of the simulation, but that it would revert to the presimulation state. However, if you haven't installed the latest service release, you might want to get that before struggling with the dress more. I may not have the most recent service release (I can't remember), but I believe it was the third service release that finally fixed the problems I was having with dynamic clothing.

You mentioned the dress has parameters? What parameters are those?

I wonder of those parameters are part of the problem? I can't think of any other reason why the simulation would be running smoothly and then when the simulation finished, the dress would go all wonky. What happens if you uncheck Dynamics after the simulation runs? Normally, you wouldn't do that unless you'd added the simulation as a morph ... in which case the simulation is being doubled when both the simulation morph and dynamics are set to 1.

I just ran Clarette Rose through PP11 with the same pose. The results were actually better than with PP2014. The dress was crinkled around her hands and fingers as expected, but not a horribly as in PP2014. Then I checked Ignore hand collisions, thinking since the dress is snug, it wasn't really necessary to deal with the hands.

upload_2017-5-11_23-12-52.png

That actually turned out really well.
upload_2017-5-11_23-13-39.png

With the only problem being at the back where the left? thumb sinks into the dress.
upload_2017-5-11_23-14-24.png

The problem with the bodice COULD be that the straps are constrained. Edit these groups and remove anything that's added to them. Then try running the sim again.

upload_2017-5-11_23-24-34.png
upload_2017-5-11_23-26-41.png
upload_2017-5-11_23-27-57.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
With the dress I'm using, PeacockDress 2, I changed the constrained top to soft decorated, but it fell off her, so put it back to constrained. I hadn't thought of just removing the constrained. Hmmmmm . . . . .

It's just weird that in P9, the only thing I had to do was rotate the dress 25%. It doesn't rotate with her body for some reason, which is why I think I was having problems in PP11 with the sim, though I did try rotating the dress in PP11, and it still messed up, even when I set Dawn's BodyEmaciated morph to 1.0 and let her body grow back to normal size during the sim.

Here's an updated render from P9.

Janet-PeacockDress-P9-2.jpg