• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

DanaTA

Distinguished
I could be wrong Ken, but I believe the RPublishing vendor is Renderosity. Then again, it might just be their version of DAZ Originals. Not sure on that score.

I'm not positive, either, but I believe you are correct, it is like DAZ Originals. If I am recalling correctly, I think I've seen things that were by other vendors that became RPublishing items.

Dana

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the feedback Miss B, 3dcheapskate and DanaTA! So maybe Rendo buys contents from vendors, but do they MAKE contents themselves? It would be great if they did, because then they could get content creators to work more closely with Poser development, which [I believe] was how DAZ Studio was developed. But even if they don't, they still have a LONG history supporting Poser contents, even before DAZ Studio existed. That was the kind of experience SMS never had, and perhaps that explains some of the poor decisions they took towards Poser.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I feel a bit stupid and lost (but happy that SM no longer owns Poser). Almost two years ago I bought Poser Pro 2014 and now I'm wondering ... What is it that I've bought?
Take it from someone who's finally using her first Pro version of Poser, but as far as I know, the only difference between the Standard and Pro versions are the extra goodies that the Standard version doesn't include. Well actually, I believe they're there in the software, but the serial number you use will either hide (for the Standard version), or show (for the Pro version) all those extra goodies.

Welcome to the HiveWire forums from me as well. :)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I'm fairly sure RPublishing is the Renderosity equivalent of DAZ Originals - i.e. stuff that was originally created by somebody else, but the original creator has sold the rights to them. (I vaguely recall reading that when they first released a couple of old items as freebies on ShareCG)
That's correct

I feel a bit stupid and lost (but happy that SM no longer owns Poser). Almost two years ago I bought Poser Pro 2014 and now I'm wondering ... What is it that I've bought? I started out with Poser 4, so I've been around a while
Welcome to HW!

Confusing, huh? That's why they changed to Poser 11 and Poser 11 Pro

Poser Pro 2014 was the Pro version of Poser 10.
Poser Pro 2012 was the Pro version of Poser 9.
Poser - Wikipedia

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I feel a bit stupid and lost (but happy that SM no longer owns Poser). Almost two years ago I bought Poser Pro 2014 and now I'm wondering ... What is it that I've bought? I started out with Poser 4, so I've been around a while

Welcome to the HW forums! :D

Yup, it's just like Miss B said above. The "Pro" version unlocks hidden functionality from the standard version. I recommend the Pro version to anyone, since I was told it's the only version that allows copying morphs from figure to clothing. I wouldn't be able to handle any scenes without that. The reason I say "I was told" is because I always had the Pro versions, so I don't know [on my own account] if it's true that the standard version hides that functionality. If it does, then it's yet another poor decision from SMS. I hope Rendo will fix that.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I have been reading through some of the forums concerning this subject on DAZ and Rendo, wow, it's getting heated. It is nice that calmer heads prevail here at the Hive.

I just hope that Rendo gets a reliable team back to work on Poser and fixes everything that's not real stable right now. Then I am hoping to jump on that $99 deal for 11 Pro for content creation. I agree with those who believe Poser should just focus on what's good for Poser without worrying about what DAZ is doing. We don't really need two programs that do exactly the same thing, even if they are similar. The split is a historical fact, let's just go from here. Use DS, Poser, both, or neither, whatever you like. Let's go for the win-win. :)

Hornet3d

Wise

Welcome to the forum, I hope you stay around and have some fun.

I used Poser Pro 2014 for many years having upgraded to it almost as soon as it was launched and did not upgrade to Poser 11 pro for about two years after that launch. I found Poser 2014 a great program to work with and I still have it installed on my machine alongside Poser 11. The big change in Poser 11 was the introduction of another render engine called Superfly. Superfly gives you better looking liquids and metals in a render but it is not really a major deal as you can do so much with 2014.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have been reading through some of the forums concerning this subject on DAZ and Rendo, wow, it's getting heated. It is nice that calmer heads prevail here at the Hive.

I just hope that Rendo gets a reliable team back to work on Poser and fixes everything that's not real stable right now. Then I am hoping to jump on that $99 deal for 11 Pro for content creation. I agree with those who believe Poser should just focus on what's good for Poser without worrying about what DAZ is doing. We don't really need two programs that do exactly the same thing, even if they are similar. The split is a historical fact, let's just go from here. Use DS, Poser, both, or neither, whatever you like. Let's go for the win-win. :)

Any Poser thread in any forum seems to get this heated but at least here the moderation keeps things way below the threshold of a flame war and without locking the thread. Other places seem to let the flame wars go way past the point of no return and then lock the thread, sadly locking the thread is often the very result some poster are aiming for

Like you I love the calmer heads here at Hivewire which is important to me as I am a refugee from some of the other forums.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
I'm not positive, either, but I believe you are correct, it is like DAZ Originals. If I am recalling correctly, I think I've seen things that were by other vendors that became RPublishing items.

Dana

Daz Originals are sometimes products that have been purchased outright from the artist and are sometimes products that have been created by someone employed by Daz. The product page will say Daz Original Created by "Artist". Some of my early products are now Daz Originals, although my name has been scrubbed from the Daz store so it's not easy to find them.

My assumption is that RPublishing items are along the same line. Either Renderosity buys the products outright or has a contract with certain artists to fill a certain quota or possibly a combination of both. I think it was a good move by Renderosity to have RPublishing products.

In the decade that I worked for the Platinum Club I commissioned many products that were designed to be bought out as Daz Originals. It's a way for a company to have products that they don't share revenue on, so it makes it easier to use them in promotions and such. It's also a way for artists to get paid in a lump sum rather than wait for monthly sales on a product, which can make a difference in the artists ability to continue making products. The key thing for artists is to not sell the rights to every product they make but to keep some to broker. Over time, all of those little royalties can add up to a nice paycheck each month.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
It's frustrating to me personally to see DS vs Poser fighting. I use and love both programs - have since DAZ introduced Genesis. There are pros and cons to each, but they both have their place and I find some things more intuitive and easier to use in different programs. I'm glad there are options.

Bottom line - they're just tools. Whatever tool or tools work for you to create your art is all that matters.

It's fine to discuss what can be improved in BOTH programs, but people just have to to keep it non-personal and respectful. There's just no need to get into flame wars. We all should THINK before we post in this day and age where being rude and insulting has been re-definied by some as "just speaking one's mind". It's not - it's almost always just....rude and insulting

One thing that might help is to try to express things in a way that explain that it's your opinion. I know that everything we write IS opinion, but sometimes it can come across as people expressing things as though they are facts.

Compare these statements:

Poser is just impossible to work with.
vs
I find Poser impossible to work with.

DAZ Studio is just impossible to work with
vs
I find DAZ Studio impossible to work with.

The first line in each of those comes across as though you are stating a FACT. It invites "No it's not!!", "How dare you say that about the program I love?", etc... heading toward flames....

The second hopefully invites "is there a way we can help it become easier?" or "oh, well, good thing there's a different option for you."

Miss B

CV-BEE
My assumption is that RPublishing items are along the same line. Either Renderosity buys the products outright or has a contract with certain artists to fill a certain quota or possibly a combination of both. I think it was a good move by Renderosity to have RPublishing products.
I've also noticed among quite a few items I've purchased there in recent years, that RPublishing is one of the vendors listed. IOW, the product was published by RPublishing, as well as another established vendor.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Daz Originals are sometimes products that have been purchased outright from the artist and are sometimes products that have been created by someone employed by Daz. The product page will say Daz Original Created by "Artist". Some of my early products are now Daz Originals, although my name has been scrubbed from the Daz store so it's not easy to find them.

In the decade that I worked for the Platinum Club I commissioned many products that were designed to be bought out as Daz Originals. It's a way for a company to have products that they don't share revenue on, so it makes it easier to use them in promotions and such. It's also a way for artists to get paid in a lump sum rather than wait for monthly sales on a product, which can make a difference in the artists ability to continue making products. The key thing for artists is to not sell the rights to every product they make but to keep some to broker. Over time, all of those little royalties can add up to a nice paycheck each month.

Wow, thanks for the info, Lisa! I had no idea things could work that way. So it is possible to sell a product to a broker, retain the copyright, and get royalties for it every month?

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Wow, thanks for the info, Lisa! I had no idea things could work that way. So it is possible to sell a product to a broker, retain the copyright, and get royalties for it every month?
No, you're misunderstanding what I wrote. You sell the product to the broker, you're done with it. all royalties go to the broker. What I said was it was important for artists to keep some of their products to broker (not sell the rights) so that they have a catalog that earns royalties, because a one time payment is just that. It pays one time.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
No, you're misunderstanding what I wrote. You sell the product to the broker, you're done with it. all royalties go to the broker. What I said was it was important for artists to keep some of their products to broker (not sell the rights) so that they have a catalog that earns royalties, because a one time payment is just that. It pays one time.

Oh, it was good that I asked, then. Thanks for the heads up! ^_____^

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
and a follow on from Alisa's last post, English is not everyone's first language, people need to remember that. Also there can be cultural differences in the way something is written even if English is their native tongue. So before any one gets offended at something keep this in mind, re-read it carefully, it may not mean what you initially thought.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Very true Rae, as I've often read messages at least twice, and sometimes a third time, before I decided whether I wanted to respond, and how I would respond. Of course, I've not really had that issue here, but I've encountered it at Renderosity quite a bit.

Nod

Adventurous
Scotland voted to remain part of the UK, you can't have it both ways.
Based on lies told by Westminster. Lose your pension, get kicked out of the EU, no more naval contracts, etc., etc., etc.
If it was a union of equals as claimed, then Scotland would be getting listened to, instead of being ignored.