• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
No political discussions here, please folks. Please take it off of the forums.

Thanks for understanding :)

Could you then please remove the posts that have political statements it seems rather unfair to ask the political to stop, while one poster has made a post with their point of view, blocking others from posting other perspectives makes it all seem a bit bias.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I interpreted "Pro" in terms of Poser as meaning it was intended for "professionals" who create content, while the standard version was primarily intended for those who use, but don't create, content.

However, I also don't agree copy morphs should have been restricted to the pro version, since it's not just those who create content, but those who just use content, who need to be able to easily add morphs to purchased clothing. It's not at all uncommon for content provider to only support some morphs that are available in a given figure ... or for additional morphs to be added to a figure.

Hornet3d

Wise
Could you then please remove the posts that have political statements it seems rather unfair to ask the political to stop, while one poster has made a post with their point of view, blocking others from posting other perspectives makes it all seem a bit bias.

I am one of the ones who responded some time back, a mistake on my part and I should have thought a lot harder before I posted. I am happy to have my post removed as I do not want to cause anyone any harm, I had already bowed at that point I just should have not jumped in in the first place.........sorry everyone.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm going to leave this to Lisa and Alisa to determine whether the posts should be removed.

It's not the first time, nor will it be the last, a conversation is asked to be stopped before it gets out of hand, and existing posts are allowed to remain.

If someone feels they need to address points made in response to something they posted, the discussion can be continued privately. Forum conversations can include multiple people, so if there are several people who want to continue the discussion, I'm sure they can ask to be included.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I interpreted "Pro" in terms of Poser as meaning it was intended for "professionals" who create content, while the standard version was primarily intended for those who use, but don't create, content.

However, I also don't agree copy morphs should have been restricted to the pro version, since it's not just those who create content, but those who just use content, who need to be able to easily add morphs to purchased clothing. It's not at all uncommon for content provider to only support some morphs that are available in a given figure ... or for additional morphs to be added to a figure.

Yes, I understand that's how Poser got a "Pro" version that was meant for content creators. However, I consider the way the features were split was rather unfair and unbalanced. They have removed functionality that everybody used to have access to in older versions. If things had been like this when I got started, I may had never become a content creator. The usual way this goes is that people "play" with simple content creation until they get better with it, but now they would have to pay extra to try that. Add on top of this that SMS was charging unrealistic pricing for the Pro version that was incompatible with the reality of this market, and we end up with people having less chances of ever creating their own contents. Should we be surprised that now we ended up with less people creating Poser contents? Of course, there is also the broken core in Poser, where unimesh geometry is not supported and cause adverse reactions in our pipelines. This has also spooked some people away from Poser, and there is a chance it may never be fixed because of the severity of what that would require.

Those are some of the many reasons why I fully support Rendo's decision to lower the price and give everybody the Pro version, even if still with the broken core. It's not ideal, but I can still get the job done with the available workaround. We definitely want more people creating Poser contents, which would benefit Rendo as a store, and all of us as well.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, I don't necessarily disagree with the decision to have a single version of Poser. I'm just not sure the price for that single version will actually be affordable for someone not at all interested in creating content.

All depends whether Renderosity plans to subsidize the cost of development through the sale of content.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The reason would be that Poser didn't have a "Professional" version until somebody decided to call it so.
Oh it certainly did! PP2012, PP2014, "PP" stands for Poser Pro. PP2012 was the "Pro" version of Poser 9, PP2014 was the "Pro" version of Poser 10. Whether there was a PP2010 as a "Pro" version of Poser 8, I don't recall because I was absent from Poser from version 5 until version 9.

As far as Poser not being "Pro" . . . well if you're going to compare it to Autodesk's Maya, and the like, no it's not a professional software app, but there have always been 2 versions of Poser since version 8 (don't recall about version 7), and they decided to call the more expensive, all inclusive, version Pro rather than Advanced. This is how it's done for all kinds of software, not just 3D graphics software. Just because the software "may not be" used by professional artists, has nothing to do with the name. That's just a distinction between the version that has it all, and the version that's been trimmed down.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I've gotten hooked on Kettle Corn PopCorners. Only probably is, I like those single serving sizes, and my supermaket only carries the 5oz. size, so I have to watch that I don't eat the whole bag at once. :(

What flavor would you recommend? I put a 12 small variety pack in my amazon cart but I don't know about a couple of the flavors.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Following the purchase of Poser in 2007, Smith Micro added a Pro version in 2008 (Poser 7 was released in 2006). Poser 8 was released in 2009, followed by Poser Pro 2010 in ... 2010.

Poser 7.0 December 2006 e-frontier
Poser Pro May 2008 Smith Micro Software

Poser 8 August 4, 2009 Smith Micro Software
Poser Pro 2010 March 10, 2010 Smith Micro Software

Poser 9 September 21, 2011 Smith Micro Software
Poser Pro 2012 September 21, 2011 Smith Micro Software

Poser 10 May 21, 2013 Smith Micro Software
Poser Pro 2014 May 21, 2013 Smith Micro Software

Poser 11 November 17, 2015 Smith Micro Software
Poser Pro 11 November 17, 2015 Smith Micro Software

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh it certainly did! PP2012, PP2014, "PP" stands for Poser Pro. PP2012 was the "Pro" version of Poser 9, PP2014 was the "Pro" version of Poser 10. Whether there was a PP2010 as a "Pro" version of Poser 8, I don't recall because I was absent from Poser from version 5 until version 9.

As far as Poser not being "Pro" . . . well if you're going to compare it to Autodesk's Maya, and the like, no it's not a professional software app, but there have always been 2 versions of Poser since version 8 (don't recall about version 7), and they decided to call the more expensive, all inclusive, version Pro rather than Advanced. This is how it's done for all kinds of software, not just 3D graphics software. Just because the software "may not be" used by professional artists, has nothing to do with the name. That's just a distinction between the version that has it all, and the version that's been trimmed down.

Well, it was Rooster Teeth who came to the realization that Poser wasn't up to professional grade work - not me. SMS was selling it as such, and look where it ended. They had to switch to Maya. All this because SMS was selling Poser as an animation tool for professionals, and pricing it as if it were. I have been frustrated about that for years, and that's why I think Rendo is now doing things right.

However, my initial idea was not exactly against the Standard/Pro versions, but instead how unbalanced the features have become after it. I support Rendo lowering the price and giving everyone the Pro version because of that. I think the price base from SMS was unreasonable from the very beginning. Poser was never "cheap", but SMS was taking it too far for what it actually does. So where do I draw a line? When it starts getting close to what real professional software costs.

I don't want to repeat myself, but I strongly believe everybody should have the "Copy Morphs From..." option that is currently only on the Pro version. To me, that alone is reason enough to justify what Rendo is doing. Maybe if they later change this and move it to the Standard version, this wouldn't be such an issue, but as it is, that's what we have, and I am glad you agree with me that this is unfair.

Who knows? Maybe Rendo could manage to make Poser more affordable, considering it is a hobbyist tool by all means and purposes. Most of the 3rd party components from it are already quite outdated by nowadays standards, like the cloth and hair solvers. I don't think these have ever been updated. Maybe Poser should be cheaper after all.

Miss B

CV-BEE
What flavor would you recommend? I put a 12 small variety pack in my amazon cart but I don't know about a couple of the flavors.
I've only had the Kettle Korn, though the White Cheddar might be nice if you like Cheddar Cheese. I stay away from anything Sea Salt, so have no idea what that tastes like.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I like the LARGE bags of kettle popcorn they sell at fairs and flea markets. They make them with honey and salt on large iron cauldrons, which spreads an amazing aroma around the place. My wife and I come flying towards the source through the aroma trail. :p

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Americans are weird. Popcorn should be salt, not sweet or any of the other weird things you throw at it! :eek:

You only say this because you [probably] haven't tried kettle popcorn. I think it's the perfect balance between salty and sweet. For the record, I am not much into sweets, but this has such a nice flavor contrast. ^^

eclark1894

Visionary

Actually, IIRC, Poser came out with the version of "Poser 4 Pro Pack" before Poser 5. I recall as I had the original Poser 4 on my computer at the time. And I think that Curious Labs owned Poser at that time.

Willowisp

Adventurous
You only say this because you [probably] haven't tried kettle popcorn. I think it's the perfect balance between salty and sweet. For the record, I am not much into sweets, but this has such a nice flavor contrast. ^^
No, but I have tried maple syrup popcorn. It was.. not popcorn :p

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I like the LARGE bags of kettle popcorn they sell at fairs and flea markets. They make them with honey and salt on large iron cauldrons, which spreads an amazing aroma around the place. My wife and I come flying towards the source through the aroma trail. :p

Sounds a bit like caramel corn. I used to make it at home. It was Sooo good!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually, IIRC, Poser came out with the version of "Poser 4 Pro Pack" before Poser 5. I recall as I had the original Poser 4 on my computer at the time. And I think that Curious Labs owned Poser at that time.
Ahh OK. My first Poser version was 5, but I didn't use it too long because it kept freezing up on me, but I think it was the Win98SE desktop I had back then, and not P5 itself. Curious Labs did own it back then. I never thought of getting a Pro version back then, so wasn't aware there was one.