• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser on borrowed time?

Deecey

Admirable
Contributing Artist
Content Paradise is also owned by Smith Micro. They are not two separate companies.

Thanks Deecey. That helps to clear up a lot of confusion. It's a bit odd that 'Forums' are within Customer Support. In other software sites it's not uncommon to have a 'Community Help' section of the Customer Support area. It's that way in the Steinberg sites. But the Forums are a different thing. A social networking thing like they are here.

eclark1894

Visionary
This I know. My question is whether Content Paradise is also owned (currently) by Smith Micro. Because when Poser was owned by E-Frontier it looked like Content Paradise was a separate company. Poser-SM / Content Paradise, two separate companies: TRUE or FALSE?
When SM bought Poser, they also bought Content Paradise.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
This I know. My question is whether Content Paradise is also owned (currently) by Smith Micro. Because when Poser was owned by E-Frontier it looked like Content Paradise was a separate company. Poser-SM / Content Paradise, two separate companies: TRUE or FALSE?

Content Paradise is part of Smith Micro... I know Chuck (Charles Taylor/Nerd3D) had plans to totally revamp it and push Poser in the direction of better content when he was project manager. Hopefully, who's ever in charge will continue in this direction. Poser has had many owners and I've seen more than a few "borrowed time" threads since I purchased Poser 1 way, way, way back when from Fractal Designs.

Owners of Poser:
  • Fractal Design 1995-1998 (Poser 1-2)
  • MetaCreations 1998-1999 (Poser 3-4)
  • Curious Labs 1999-2005 (Poser 4-6)
  • E-Frontier 2005-2007 (Poser 6-7)
  • Smith Micro 2007-present (Poser 7+)

Thanks all for the answers.
I've seen more than a few "borrowed time" threads since I purchased Poser 1
No doubt. Thing is, time cannot be borrowed. It's a one way trip that takes you along willing or not, dead or alive.
Sure has people wound up though. Ha! Didn't read my email yesterday but I'll bet this thread was 'Most Popular' , probably next week too. Hee heeeee. Wallop me if I'm having too much fun.

eclark1894

Visionary
Content Paradise is part of Smith Micro... I know Chuck (Charles Taylor/Nerd3D) had plans to totally revamp it and push Poser in the direction of better content when he was project manager. Hopefully, who's ever in charge will continue in this direction. Poser has had many owners and I've seen more than a few "borrowed time" threads since I purchased Poser 1 way, way, way back when from Fractal Designs.

Owners of Poser:
Poser or CP? I recall threads at the SM forum where Nerd spoke of revamping CP.
Thanks all for the answers.

No doubt. Thing is, time cannot be borrowed. It's a one way trip that takes you along willing or not, dead or alive.
Sure has people wound up though. Ha! Didn't read my email yesterday but I'll bet this thread was 'Most Popular' , probably next week too. Hee heeeee. Wallop me if I'm having too much fun.
Well, the gleeful laugh is probably a bit much.:cautious:

McGyver

Energetic
My father in law has a subscription to Time... I'm always borrowing it.
He usually ends up telling me to keep it, and when I'm done with it, I recycle it.
You can't live on borrowed Time...
But you can sleep on a pile of them, and if someone leaves one on the steps, you can slip down the stairs on borrowed Time.
They may say "Time heals all wounds", but it really doesn't, in fact you can get really bad paper cuts from it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Owners of Poser:
Yeah, I got my Poser 5 from Curious Labs. Back then, IIRC, MetaCreations still had Bryce before it went off on it's on path. Of course, I could be wrong, as the memory's not quite as good as it used to be. ~LOL~

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Smith Micro owns Content Paradise - see the bottom of any page at CP and it says

Copyright © 2017 Smith Micro Inc.(NASDAQ: SMSI) All Rights Reserved. Content Paradise is
a trademark of Smith Micro Software. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective companies..

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Just a very gentle reminder to EVERYONE:

Please keep in mind that Poser VS DAZ Studio and Smith Micro vs DAZ fights never go anywhere good. I know there are people with very strong feelings and opinions about all of the above on both sides.

Remember a few things:

The software is simply a tool to create products.

There are actual people, who have feelings, behind companies and products.

This community is supportive of BOTH programs and we want to keep this a friendly, peaceful place.

We don't want anyone to feel that others here are bashing something they like.

Please express your concerns and feelings and opinions without bashing other people, products or companies.

Thank you!

:flower02:

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
It's certainly no surprise that a discussion about software, the companies that produce it as well as offer the products we all get to play with can get emotional. After all, we have each invested quite a bit into this industry, whether it be monetary investments of buying products or time investments to make them.

I know I certainly get emotional thinking about things. I have my perspective, my point of view, my opinions and I REALLY want everyone to be able to succeed in this industry doing what we love to do.

:love:If you're an artist creating images I want you to succeed in constantly bettering your abilities to put 3d products together in a way that creates something that is entirely unique to you and rewards you for your efforts in the ways you need to be rewarded.

:love:If you are an artist creating the 3D content others use I want you to succeed in honing your craft, pushing your abilities forward and being able to be rewarded for your efforts in the ways you need to be rewarded.

:love:If you are a software company creating the platform in which we all play and make a living, or the store that sells the content, I want you to succeed in being on the cutting edge of what will continually propel ALL of us forward and I also want you to be rewarded in kind.

These three entities :love: :love: :love: are connected by their very nature. Each is required to listen to and honor the needs of the other. Leave one part out, neglect one part, or take from one part to strengthen another might solve an immediate problem but in my experience it's only a short term solution.

When things go wrong it's always easy to point away from yourself at something or someone else as being the reason why. What I have learned over the years is that when I'm pointing away from me, there are three fingers pointing back at me. I also bear some responsibility.

So what am I getting at with all of this? There is no right or wrong or thing to blame. There is no need to pick a side and defend it no matter what. Everyone and every side makes mistakes. It's how we choose to move forward after realizing our mistakes that count. And there is no way that we can really know the truth behind certain situations unless we were there and witnessed them for ourselves. Like they say, there are three sides to a story, yours, mine and the truth. Let's remember this going forward together here.

Times are and have been changing for the past several years. Change is difficult for many people. Tumultuous, scary and uncertain as it may be going through these times, the gift they bring is to determine what DOES NOT work. Human nature would have us sitting here endlessly raging at the machine of what does not work and why. There is some wisdom in that, however, there is also the danger of getting stuck in that "story" so much that we never become part of writing a new story.

There are many things I do not like about many things. I could spend days writing them out. But I find my time is better spent acknowledging what I do not like with just enough attention to define it and then become part of the solution by seeking ways to overcome it. It will do me no good to continually repeat or talk about the thing I do not like. It keeps me stuck in the same story if I do.

Become part of rewriting the story. Find a way to consider the other side. Remember that your truth is YOURS and isn't necessarily true for others. Remember that companies have people behind them who are very much like you. Remember that decisions are made that you may not know all of the reasons for. Remember that for every new shiny product you see in a store, there are countless hours of blood, sweat and tears that made that possible.

Talk and share about what you DO like. Let your software companies know what you like about their product and what you wish there was more of. Talk about things you need to create and keep sending that information out there until it reaches the person it needs to reach.

As much as I don't like threads like this, I do think they are healthy in the way that we get to dig deep into what our core, collective issues are. Keep the conversation going but please do your best to be part of a possible solution. Communicate in a way that is mindful of the person with feelings that might be reading what you wrote.

Thanks so much for your time, your voice and your contribution here.

As always, enjoy creating!

Last edited:

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
This was moving and inspiring to read. Excellent perspective. A sincere thank you from me for posting this, Lisa.

My pleasure, James. We are all passionate people with our own perspectives. When it comes to this discussion no matter what side you might choose, it's all the same boat. We are stuck in the boat together. We can jump off, move left and tip the boat, move right and tip the boat or come together to stabilize it and keep it afloat.

Owners of Poser:
Yeah, I got my Poser 5 from Curious Labs. Back then, IIRC, MetaCreations still had Bryce before it went off on it's on path. Of course, I could be wrong, as the memory's not quite as good as it used to be. ~LOL~

Started with MetaCreations Poser 3, I may have that CD still somewhere......IIRC it was a free giveaway on some PC magazine CD which I most probably bought for something different on the CD. Bryce was on another CD, special kind of magazine featuring software programs and with tutorials inside to get started (most probably no longer around). Kinda like magazines that offers game step-by-step solutions plus the game on CD. Bought them on a flea market for maybe 1 Euro, probably less (at least the games)

I sorted all the old stuff out 2 years ago, as it was made for older OS and won't install any longer; so most probably the first editions of my Poser are gone. As of Poser 5 I only grabbed the digital copy to download. I either have that as backup on a burned CD or an external HDD

So I went thru several company takeovers and with each there was the uproar. Poser came out of it fine each time, with new and improved features. Why should it be different this time? Let's wait and see (not like we can do anything else)! Popcorn anyone? Chocolate?

Last edited:

Hornet3d

Wise
It's certainly no surprise that a discussion about software, the companies that produce it as well as offer the products we all get to play with can get emotional. After all, we have each invested quite a bit into this industry, whether it be monetary investments of buying products or time investments to make them.

I know I certainly get emotional thinking about things. I have my perspective, my point of view, my opinions and I REALLY want everyone to be able to succeed in this industry doing what we love to do.

:love:If you're an artist creating images I want you to succeed in constantly bettering your abilities to put 3d products together in a way that creates something that is entirely unique to you and rewards you for your efforts in the ways you need to be rewarded.

:love:If you are an artist creating the 3D content others use I want you to succeed in honing your craft, pushing your abilities forward and being able to be rewarded for your efforts in the ways you need to be rewarded.

:love:If you are a software company creating the platform in which we all play and make a living, or the store that sells the content, I want you to succeed in being on the cutting edge of what will continually propel ALL of us forward and I also want you to be rewarded in kind.

These three entities :love: :love: :love: are connected by their very nature. Each is required to listen to and honor the needs of the other. Leave one part out, neglect one part, or take from one part to strengthen another might solve an immediate problem but in my experience it's only a short term solution.

When things go wrong it's always easy to point away from yourself at something or someone else as being the reason why. What I have learned over the years is that when I'm pointing away from me, there are three fingers pointing back at me. I also bear some responsibility.

So what am I getting at with all of this? There is no right or wrong or thing to blame. There is no need to pick a side and defend it no matter what. Everyone and every side makes mistakes. It's how we choose to move forward after realizing our mistakes that count. And there is no way that we can really know the truth behind certain situations unless we were there and witnessed them for ourselves. Like they say, there are three sides to a story, yours, mine and the truth. Let's remember this going forward together here.

Times are and have been changing for the past several years. Change is difficult for many people. Tumultuous, scary and uncertain as it may be going through these times, the gift they bring is to determine what DOES NOT work. Human nature would have us sitting here endlessly raging at the machine of what does not work and why. There is some wisdom in that, however, there is also the danger of getting stuck in that "story" so much that we never become part of writing a new story.

There are many things I do not like about many things. I could spend days writing them out. But I find my time is better spent acknowledging what I do not like with just enough attention to define it and then become part of the solution by seeking ways to overcome it. It will do me no good to continually repeat or talk about the thing I do not like. It keeps me stuck in the same story if I do.

Become part of rewriting the story. Find a way to consider the other side. Remember that your truth is YOURS and isn't necessarily true for others. Remember that companies have people behind them who are very much like you. Remember that decisions are made that you may not know all of the reasons for. Remember that for every new shiny product you see in a store, there are countless hours of blood, sweat and tears that made that possible.

Talk and share about what you DO like. Let your software companies know what you like about their product and what you wish there was more of. Talk about things you need to create and keep sending that information out there until it reaches the person it needs to reach.

As much as I don't like threads like this, I do think they are healthy in the way that we get to dig deep into what our core, collective issues are. Keep the conversation going but please do your best to be part of a possible solution. Communicate in a way that is mindful of the person with feelings that might be reading what you wrote.

Thanks so much for your time, your voice and your contribution here.

As always, enjoy creating!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a balance submission, it made me think and rethink how I respond, which has to be a good thing.

I tend to have a love hate relationship with threads such as this. I one sense I think is it good to voice concerns and I am very interested in other peoples views, the part I dislike is raking over the coals and presenting an opinion as fact, but I accept we are all human and it happens particularly when you are passionate about something. We are dealing with artist after all and they tend to be passionate people on the whole.

I hope we can continue this thread as there is a lot of interesting stuff here and we have already gone a lot further with this thread than we could have done elsewhere.

I am not really a poem type person but I remember one from my childhood.

For every problem under the sun
There is an answer
Or there is none
If there is one
Seek until you find it
If there is none
Never mind it.

If Poser fails I will be very said but other than staying positive there is little I can do to change it's course, so......never mind it.

McGyver

Energetic
I wish both Poser and DAZ studio's makers well...
I firmly believe that even if they eventually become incompatible with each other (not just figure-wise), one winning out over the other is not good for anyone.
From a practical standpoint, competition drives innovation and lack of competition leads to stagnation.
Not to mention lack of competition leading to an attitude of overconfidence or exploitative practices.
I think sometimes people tend to forget that.
I've never gotten the fanboy mentality, where people will blindly support their "team" no matter what, and actually have animosity towards the other side.
People should be happy there is another side...
At least in my experience, I've never really seen this occur here, which I think speaks well of the bulk of HWs forumites.
That's forum members, not the mites that will infest you if you hang out on the forums too much... Those have been greatly reduced thanks to the frequent sprayings of MiteAway.
I also like having two options...
I've often said Poser and DAZ are six of one and a half a dozen of another... But I don't mean that badly.
More often than not, what one does okay, the other does better or more simply.
And both have their frustrating points.
And that's a good thing.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
All true, McGyver! I also think there's a bias on which software you learned on. I learned 3D rigging on DAZ and made many public pronouncements that rigging was better using DS. And, at the time, it was. DS3A was just easier to use on spherical rigging because it was much more visual. You could see what you were working on more plainly.

I was no fan of Poser, but when the situation forced me into Poser, and I took the time to learn how to use it properly, I turned into a huge fan. But, as long as I was doing spherical rigging, I used DS3A to do all the initial rigging and then took it into to Poser for refinement.

Once weight mapping and the morph brush arrived in Poser, I decided rigging was actually EASIER than in DS. Poser made some mighty big leaps in those areas and continue to give us better tools with each version.

And, LisaB, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us all. If folks like you and Chris hadn't made that massive leap of faith to start Hivewire, we wouldn't be here today. You folks were all "invested" in DAZ, had built your reputation there. You gave up a lot to start Hivewire.

Last edited:
I apologize for calling CP 'garbage'. That was careless. Aggressive advertising just makes me angry. Sometimes I get emails telling me that something is on sale 'Today Only' and so I won't buy from that company for 30 days. If they send me an add like that every month they'll never sell me anything. Anyway, I've got no grudge against Smith Micro but my contrary nature has put CP off limits. Good thing not everyone is onnrey as me.

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
I apologize for calling CP 'garbage'. That was careless. Aggressive advertising just makes me angry. Sometimes I get emails telling me that something is on sale 'Today Only' and so I won't buy from that company for 30 days. If they send me an add like that every month they'll never sell me anything. Anyway, I've got no grudge against Smith Micro but my contrary nature has put CP off limits. Good thing not everyone is onnrey as me.

SM might listen and appreciate your point of view if you tell them like you just did in the second half of your paragraph. Many people bristle at marketing tactics, I know I do, but I also understand why they are used so I forgive them. They are just doing their best to pay the bills. The method you just described actually works for some people, just not you. When there is a marketing email you like, let them know why you like it and ask for more like that.