• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Poser Service Releases (Updates)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks for posting PHD, as I was just about to do so.

I was just about to do the updating, but the announcement I read on the SM Poser forum stated it updates Poser 11 to version 11.0.7.33971. Is that not what you're seeing on the splash screen when you fire up Poser 11?

As far as the shadowcatcher and other options not being addressed yet, I suspect they're going to be in Poser 12. I always assume SR updates are to fix things, not necessarily to add new things. I always expect those with a full new version update, not a service release.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
OK! Just downloaded and installed 11.0.7. At least I tried to. The install ended when I was informed that the install couldn't complete because the item already existed. I was then offered the opportunity to download manually which I did. The install completed ok but when I double-clicked the Icon I received the message: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. I deleted the Icon on my desktop (11.0.6) and replaced it with the Icon within the Program Files (11.0.7), the program booted as far as the welcome screen and stayed there (for about 30 minutes so far!). The moral seems to stay with the previous version and ignore this update like the plague until SM sort out what is evidently a serious problem!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh cr*p. Thanks for posting Mytho. I hadn't gotten around to downloading yet, so now I think I'm going to hold off. :(

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Perhaps a wise move Miss B. My installation is unchanged from the original one apart from updates with no problem until this one. The only way I've managed to get Poser back is to carry out a complete delete, download and re-install of Poser 11 which appears to be ok and strangely enough is now showing as Version 11.0.7. 33971. Success for me perhaps but a rather strange way (and expensive on bandwidth when you're on mobile broadband) of doing things. I've got a report in about the problem and I can only hope it gets sorted asap before too many people experience difficulties. Definitely not the sort of situation SM needs right now!

Miss B

CV-BEE
I posted in the thread at the SM Poser forum where it was announced, asking if anyone was having problems updating, so we shall see.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK Mytho, what version of Windows are you using? I ask because there were 2 posts in the thread where the posters didn't have any problems, but both are on Windows 10 Pro, and I'm still on Windows 7 Pro. This leads me to think SM put in an update (or 2) for Win10 users that's messing with folks on Win7.

One other poster stated her AVG wouldn't let her install at all. I hate having to turn off my antivirus software to install, and I'm hesitant to do it now, especially since I've never had that sort of problem with any version of Poser before.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Hi Miss B. I'm on Windows 8.1.

Possibly the AVG thing may depend on which one you have installed. I use McAfee and Malwarebytes, both of which play quite happily together, but the Poser installer only insisted on Malwarebytes being disabled. Bear in mind though that that was only during a full re-install after the update install caused the initial chaos which lead to it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Good to know Traci. I've been holding off, as a number of folks who posted on the SM Poser forum stated they could install without problems on Windows 10, so I didn't know if it was a Win7Pro problem, or the false positive folks have been posting about with AVG and another antiviral software package. I don't use either, but thought maybe there was something else hinkie with the installer, so thought holding off before installing might be a good idea.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Good to know Traci. I've been holding off, as a number of folks who posted on the SM Poser forum stated they could install without problems on Windows 10, so I didn't know if it was a Win7Pro problem, or the false positive folks have been posting about with AVG and another antiviral software package. I don't use either, but thought maybe there was something else hinkie with the installer, so thought holding off before installing might be a good idea.

I use Comodo AV and not a peep. However, I also do not install Poser to program files. All my Poser installations are from the root - C:\Poser11, c:\Poser9, etc.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't either. I have all my 2D applications (graphics and otherwise) installed in C:\2D Applications, and my 3D applications are installed in C:\3D Applications. Keeps the C:\ root a little more organized, but keeps all my apps (at least the ones who let me install where I want them) out of C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86).

I have Norton 360 and Spybot Search & Destroy, as well as Malwarebytes, and I rarely have problems installing new software, or updates to software already installed. I think I'll give it until after the weekend, and see if anyone from SM responds about it. It could very well just be something quirky, but you never know. I certainly don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall PP11 if I don't have to.

Miss B

CV-BEE
There was an announcement on the SM Poser Forum, by one of the Poser Team members, about a new update for Poser 11.0 (11.0.8.34338), which is now available for download and update through the Download Manager.

What this version includes:
• Queue Manager Installer now works on Windows 32 bit
• Sketch Render no longer crashes nor hangs when using Make Movie
• Master Control light burning issues were solved
• Graph Editor last opens with last window size
• Area render button now is disabled on Render tab as initially designed
• Direct Manipulation Tool is now being rendered as intended
• PNGs with alpha are now supported. The alpha is discarded, and the PNG is looked as a 24 bit image

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Thanks, Miss B, but after the debacle with the last update which resulted in me having to carry out a complete re-install, I think I'll give this one a pass!

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's, of course, up to you Mytho. I'm going to wait until my Poser prompts me there's an update, as that usually takes a little longer, which gives the Poser team time to fix quick quirks.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I actually got an update notification two days ago, whether, for this or the previous one, I don't know. That popped up just after the notification that I had to activate Poser within 7 days and about a month after the one informing me that my subscription was about to expire. While I can appreciate the occasional oddity I had hoped that they would have dealt with the constant, unnecessary notices like these long before now. To be honest, much as I like Poser, I will be reluctant to buy Poser 12 (if there is one) as quickly as I acquired Poser 11 (on release) until silly stuff like this has been dealt with once and for all

James R.

Busy Bee
Uh... "Area render button is now disabled on Render tab as initially designed" ...?

Am I to read that as "you can't use the area render thing except in the Preview pane" ... ???

Miss B

CV-BEE
No, I've used it in the Material Room as well. Personally, I was trying to figure out why anyone would press either render button while in the Render tab. I'm only in the Render tab while the scene is rendering.

James R.

Busy Bee
Though I don't use it often for this, I sometimes spot render to correct a small flaw in a render while in the Render tab.