• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Need help making a superfly shader

I'm currently working on converting all the characters for my graphic novel project from Firefly to Superfly and I've run into a problem. Well, several problems but I'm only going to ask about one for right now. LOL The attached render is of the lovely and mysterious character known as Olivia. She looks stunning, yes? All except for the braids of her hairdo which looks a little too much like they were crafted of playdough rather than tightly braided hair. My usual hair shader doesn't seem to do anything for this model which doesn't use any transparency maps. (I think it's called Medea Hair from Daz?) I'm back to square one/at a loss about what to do and am open to any and all suggestions on how to create something that will do her hair some justice. Thank you! Oh, I'm using Poser 12. That might be important to note. :)

chr-face-oliviacole.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm not sure how it'll work on the Medea Hair (boy is that an oldie I haven't used in years), but Bagginsbill has an SF Hair shader you might what to try. It's one of his free goodies --> Bagginsbill's File Cabinet, and is the 5th one listed on that page.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You are right. My mistake :whistling:
Not a mistake. For the longest time while the SM Poser forum was active, I assumed he was a girl as well because of the avatars he uses. I only found out when he was helping me get Dawn's eyes to render in SuperFly without them turning a smokey white. He emailed me something, and that's when I realized it. Also, he has a portfolio at ShareCG which is under his real name, though only his first initial, so I would probably still be referring to him as a girl as well. ;)

Well, I think I improved the hair's look using what I learned from those other shaders. I know it's thicker and has over half a dozen more shader nodes than it did before but I'm not sure whether they actually did anything. LOL I've been staring at this for too long. Does it look better or the same to you? I'm almost to the point where I think I should switch to a different hair model. I had to do that twice already last night for two other characters including my main character. :/

chr-face-oliviacole.jpgchr-full-oliviacole.jpg

Ghostman

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Just a FYI. The hair nodes in the new cycles is worked on and will get better. As it is now we can't get the looks we want with them if we want to use cycles.