• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I thought I'd share a little real world Nature's Wonders. Over the last 6 weeks we've been inundated with Painted Lady butterflies... literally thousands every day. This last weekend was no exception. With our almost entirely native Californian garden, there's a huge attraction to our yard (only 10% of native insects are only attracted to non-native plants) .

Here's some photos of Painted Ladies on our native golden currants (and yes, those flowers will turn into delicious currant berries).

DSC_4629.JPG DSC_4631.JPG DSC_4633.JPG

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, the NY Times has an article about the mass migration of Painted Lady butterflies to California.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Ken,

the tree structure for the poser models differ from your usual tree structure for poser..

there is an added Animals folder ...

is this normal?
as it moves away from all the other Natures Wonders products in the poser structure, it rather follows the DS tree structure.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I liked how I've been doing the new Songbird ReMix libraries, so "Fish" reflect the way I'm going to do it from now on. Also, it's simpler to explain things once, DS and Poser now use the same folder structure-- plus, the fish and tins in this set load in character format anyways.

On my runtime, I moved everything Nature Wonders to the characters folder. I'll eventually get around to changing the store copies.

MCarr

Nice work on the sardines! Any chance for a largemouth bass with mouth morphs? My Dad is a huge angler and does tournaments. Would love to do some renders of him fishing, sadly there are no quality bass models that I can find.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I'll probably do some more fish in time. I know apart from mackerel (for my "Holy Mackerel" fish tin), I really want to do salmon and other type fish (for my eagles). A large mouth bass would probably find it's way into a set... but right now, it's all birds all the time as I move towards my Audubon event.

Harimau

Eager
Nature's Wonder:
A tree stump kept alive by the generosity of its its former partners!
Living Stump1.jpg

Living Stump.jpg

Trees quite often have root anastomosis and share resourses through good times and bad. For more info see The Stump That Didn’t Die

It seems that Plants are not all that much different from us. They communicate communicate with each other. For example, when they are under attack by caterpillars, they send out biochemical signals to warn other plants that they may be next - "I am under attack, you may be next". Those other plants then prepare for the attack by producing toxins like tannins to deter the attack. Not only that, they also send out SOS for help, again via biochemical signals to parasitic wasps - "I am being eaten by your favourite meal, Please come and have a free meal on me". Soon the parasitic wasps will come to the exact spot to lay their eggs on the caterpillars! Interesting? For more info see http://discovermagazine.com/2002/apr/featplants

Jan

Adventurous
This is a Nature Wonder image. The Grey-headed Flying Fox. This is a regular occurrence where I live, mainly at this time of the year, and they seem to mostly fly over my house. It is wonderful to see, but eerie at the same time as there is no sound that humans can hear. You would expect to hear wingbeats but that is silent too, just steady graceful swift flight in the early twilight.
On Saturday 21st this year, I witnessed so many thousands of them - it seemed to go on forever. The photo does not convey just how many, but I put some facts on it. I got video also and that does. They are a protected species and vital to ecosystem diversity. There is so much National Park land here and the present devastating bushfires still burning or been through many places in New South Wales (and other States as well) has caused such a terrible toll on our Wildlife. They are saying these Flying Foxes have been forced to abandon, or lost, so many of their young to starvation and they are not the only Wildlife or birds affected by fires. We pray for rain to end this drought.

FlyingFoxesFactsGraphic2.jpg

Carey

Extraordinary
This is a Nature Wonder image. The Grey-headed Flying Fox. This is a regular occurrence where I live, mainly at this time of the year, and they seem to mostly fly over my house. It is wonderful to see, but eerie at the same time as there is no sound that humans can hear. You would expect to hear wingbeats but that is silent too, just steady graceful swift flight in the early twilight.
On Saturday 21st this year, I witnessed so many thousands of them - it seemed to go on forever. The photo does not convey just how many, but I put some facts on it. I got video also and that does. They are a protected species and vital to ecosystem diversity. There is so much National Park land here and the present devastating bushfires still burning or been through many places in New South Wales (and other States as well) has caused such a terrible toll on our Wildlife. They are saying these Flying Foxes have been forced to abandon, or lost, so many of their young to starvation and they are not the only Wildlife or birds affected by fires. We pray for rain to end this drought.

View attachment 54868
Now, I know these guys are harmless, I also know they have large bodies and a face that looks like a rabid dog...I also know that no fruit basket is safe with them around. I think I'll stick with roller skating in a buffalo herd...lol

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Now, I know these guys are harmless, I also know they have large bodies and a face that looks like a rabid dog...I also know that no fruit basket is safe with them around. I think I'll stick with roller skating in a buffalo herd...lol

Damn man what an image you just dropped into my head!

Harimau

Eager
Helicoprion
An extinct giant shark with a buzzsaw for a lower jaw - Truly a Nature's Wonder. It was a very large shark, about 10 meters long.
saws.jpg

A Fossil Tooth Whorl - what's left of the Helicoprion whose cartilaginous skeleton was not preserved.
Helicoprion_tooth_whorl_small.jpg

A very good Summary of the history of the various attempts at the reconstruction of Helicoprion:

reconstructing-helicoprion.jpg

Helicoprion (an eugeneodontid) is not a true shark. Sharks along with the skates and rays belong to the Subclass Elasmobranchii. Helicoprion belong to the Subclass Holocephali and so it is related to the chimaeras and ratfishes.

Latest reconstructions of Helicoprion:
825_helicoprion_aaron_john_gregory.jpg

820_helicoprion_kezrek.jpg

1C6216941-bill-m--fink0E2C9569-80DA-C53D-11F9-195ABF7322C7.fit-760w.jpg

Other examples of saws seen in sharks and shark relatives:

Sawshark, Pristiophorus (Notice the pair of whisker-like barbels on the snout and gillslits are situated laterally). A sawshark is a shark.
SawShark_PristiophorusCirrat4RK.jpg

SawShark_Pristiophorus_japonicus_cropped.jpg

Sawfish, Pristis (Notice that the gillslits are situated ventrally and there are no barbels). A sawfiah is a ray.
SawFish_2009_Pristis_microdon1_small.jpg
SawFish_Pristis_pristis_-_Georgia_Aquarium_Jan_2006.jpg

For more information see the following:
Buzzsaw Jaw Helicoprion Was a Freaky Ratfish
Prehistoric ghost shark Helicoprion's spiral-toothed jaw explained

Harimau

Eager
Urechis caupo, a weird looking non-segmented Marine Worm that looks strangely familiar. In some parts of the world, like South Korea, they're a delicacy!
screen-shot-2019-12-13-at-2-13-34-pm-1576272311.png