• Welcome to the new Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that for security purposes our store and forum are on two separate servers so you will require a separate login for each. The store will ask you for your Real Name (WILL NOT BE displayed to the public) and the forum will ask you for a User Name (WILL BE displayed to the public). You may use the same email address and password for both.
  • We are having some issues with our customized styles. The forum will be open with the default style until we can correct the issues. Thank you for your patience.
  • Welcome, Guest! A new Community Volunteers "Spin to Win" Render Challenge is now open! Come on in, spin some dials and enter your renders! We look forward to seeing you there!

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I thought I'd share a little real world Nature's Wonders. Over the last 6 weeks we've been inundated with Painted Lady butterflies... literally thousands every day. This last weekend was no exception. With our almost entirely native Californian garden, there's a huge attraction to our yard (only 10% of native insects are only attracted to non-native plants) .

Here's some photos of Painted Ladies on our native golden currants (and yes, those flowers will turn into delicious currant berries).

DSC_4629.JPG DSC_4631.JPG DSC_4633.JPG

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, the NY Times has an article about the mass migration of Painted Lady butterflies to California.

Stezza

Extraordinary
Ken,

the tree structure for the poser models differ from your usual tree structure for poser..

there is an added Animals folder ...

is this normal?
as it moves away from all the other Natures Wonders products in the poser structure, it rather follows the DS tree structure.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I liked how I've been doing the new Songbird ReMix libraries, so "Fish" reflect the way I'm going to do it from now on. Also, it's simpler to explain things once, DS and Poser now use the same folder structure-- plus, the fish and tins in this set load in character format anyways.

On my runtime, I moved everything Nature Wonders to the characters folder. I'll eventually get around to changing the store copies.

MCarr

Nice work on the sardines! Any chance for a largemouth bass with mouth morphs? My Dad is a huge angler and does tournaments. Would love to do some renders of him fishing, sadly there are no quality bass models that I can find.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I'll probably do some more fish in time. I know apart from mackerel (for my "Holy Mackerel" fish tin), I really want to do salmon and other type fish (for my eagles). A large mouth bass would probably find it's way into a set... but right now, it's all birds all the time as I move towards my Audubon event.

Harimau

Eager
Nature's Wonder:
A tree stump kept alive by the generosity of its its former partners!
Living Stump1.jpg

Living Stump.jpg

Trees quite often have root anastomosis and share resourses through good times and bad. For more info see The Stump That Didn’t Die

It seems that Plants are not all that much different from us. They communicate communicate with each other. For example, when they are under attack by caterpillars, they send out biochemical signals to warn other plants that they may be next - "I am under attack, you may be next". Those other plants then prepare for the attack by producing toxins like tannins to deter the attack. Not only that, they also send out SOS for help, again via biochemical signals to parasitic wasps - "I am being eaten by your favourite meal, Please come and have a free meal on me". Soon the parasitic wasps will come to the exact spot to lay their eggs on the caterpillars! Interesting? For more info see http://discovermagazine.com/2002/apr/featplants