• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Wow, those snakeapillars really do exist!

Harimau

Eager
Interesting, isn't it? Caterpillars pretending to be something else. Here's one, a very poisonous caterpillar, the puss caterpillar, pretending to be President Trump's toupee (Megalopyge opercularis):
caterpillar-trump-hair.jpg

President Trump' toupee:
donald_trump_hair.jpg

And here is a little bird nestling that pretends to be a poisonous caterpillar, the very same President Trump's toupee caterpillar, a Laniocera hypopyrra nestling:
cinereous mourner (Laniocera hypopyrra).jpg

Laniocera hypopyrra nestling development in lowland Amazonian forest in southeastern Peru. a, Day 1, nestling with long orange
barbs with white tips. b, Day 4, nestling in nest next to unhatched egg. c, Day 9, nestling feathers have started to emerge and eyes have
started to open. d, Day 14, most of the body feathers have completely emerged, eyes are completely open, and wing feathers are emerging.
e, Day 18, all body feathers have completely emerged, and the wing feathers are ~90% emerged. f, Caterpillar (Megalopygidae) in the area
that matches the nestling’s plumage characteristics.

It even moves like a caterpillar! See here: https://phys.org/news/2014-12-amazonian-bird-chicks-mimic-poisonous.html

Enjoy.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Cool looking caterpillars and birds...

x--x x--x x--x

I guess I'm far enough along to let the cat out of the bag and share a couple WIP renders of my "secret" project. I'm still working on the textures and adding in more species/morphs
Yes, Janet, one of your guesses was right :)

The default species for the base set...young Red-eared Sliders. I still need to add the displacement to the shell on this. The slider will be the only species in the base set but will have adult, youngster and old textures (the species dulls and darkens with age).

sliders1.jpg

and the Desert Tortoise from "Volume I: Tortoises of the World". Other species will include the Russian tortoise, Yellow-footed tortoise, Leopard Tortoise, Common tortoise, Hermann's tortoise and Kleinmann's tortoise. ...and yes, the tortoise is in my Sagebrush Habitat and Habitat Extender which is pretty much their natural habitat. I will probably be adding an additional plant set with White Sage (Salvia apiana) and Desert Mallow (Sphaeralcea ambigua). The mallow is a favorite food of desert tortoises.

Tortoise5.jpg

Last edited:

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Oh yeah baby. So cool to see this work of yours coming together! Loving it all.

Let me know when it's okay to share these images. Would love to get them out on FaceBook for more to see, and link them back to this thread.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
That's so awesome! My neighbor son's had a tortoise and she watched it over the winter once while it was hibernating. It slept in a box under her bed. Once it woke up I saw it eating strawberries and it's cheeks would turn red! I can't wait to make this guy walk!

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Agreed. This last project of Ken's is really nice. So robust. He's got it working very well. Love seeing it in the shell too.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Will it have an option for the Eastern Box Tortoise and any other type of Box Tortoise? I'm partial to the Eastern's as they are natives to my area in Ohio :)

Yes, I am planning to do that species in Volume II

Here's my plan (and as always, I do a mix of both popular and endangered species)

Nature's Wonders Turtle (Base Set)
Red-eared Slider (Juvenile, Adult, Mature), Trachemys scripta elegans, Southern United States, LC

Turtles of the World v1: Tortoises
Russian tortoise, Agrionemys horsfieldii, Eurasia, VU
Yellow-footed tortoise, Chelonoidis denticulatus, South America, VU
Desert Tortoise, Gopherus agassizii, SW United States, VU
Leopard Tortoise, Stigmochelys pardalis, S Africa, LC
Common tortoise, Testudo graeca, Eurasia, VU
Hermann's tortoise, Testudo hermanni, Europe, NT
Kleinmann's tortoise, Testudo kleinmanni, Africa, CR

Turtles of the World v2: Turtles of the United States
Common Snapping Turtle, Chelydra serpentina, Eastern United States, LC
Painted Turtle, Chrysemys picta, North America, LC
Bog turtle, Glyptemys muhlenbergii, NE United States, CR