• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Kerya

Brilliant
Reptiles!!!!!!!!!!!!! Me wants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dragoninmygarden.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
One thing that may lizards can do that I wanted to be incorporated in my model was the ability to lose its' tail.

Why do lizards lose their tails? It's a defense trick-- tail drops and squirms around, confusing the predator and hopefully allowing the lizard to get away while the predator is distracted. Many lizards additionally have bright colors on the tails to add to the predator's confusion.

The tail eventually grows back, but may appear discolored from the rest of the body (maybe I'll do a couple materials for that).

LostTail.jpg

Where am I on the project? The lost tail item was the last key part of the base set... I have a few more morphs to add to the CR2, want to built a couple material sets for the tail cr2 and need to tune the materials for Superfly and iRay. The eastern and western fence lizards for the set are done. There will be a m/f Eastern and m/f/j Western Fence Lizards in that set. The Western Fence Lizards will also have brown, gray and dark versions as well.

Volume I (with the gecko, side-blotched, skink and European green lizard) is about 2/3 done... I'm still shooting for the end of July for the Base Set and Volume I...

Volume II (Gila Monster, Alligator Lizard, BN Agama and Tokay Gecko) and Volume III (European, Aussie and NZ species) I'm hoping for the end of August, then back to birds...

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks everyone...

Here's the first test render on the male European Green Lizard (native to southeastern Europe. Its range extends from southern Germany, Austria, eastern Italy, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro and Greece to southern Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria and western Turkey. It has been introduced into the state of Kansas in the United States.) It's a pretty big lizard, measuring up to 40cm (16 inches)

EULizard.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Are the fence lizards what we call anoles? see those from time to time even here in inner city.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Are the fence lizards what we call anoles? see those from time to time even here in inner city.

While I'm pretty knowledge when it comes to birds, I'm pretty much a beginner in herpetology. Looking up anoles, they appear to be part of the Iguana family (Dactyloidae) and are in green in color with throat sacs. They are found throughout the world.

Fence Lizards are part of the Spiny Lizard family (Phrynosomatidae) and most commonly found in the United States. Fence lizard range in color from almost black to medium gray and brown.

I did find a video of an anole and an eastern fence lizard side-by-side.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Sweet work there Ken. Love everything you're considering and that you're planning for a whole line up from one shape. Great stuff!!

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I just wrapped up the last lizard for Volume I, the western skink. It was a pretty tricky lizard to do using a generic model. Notice the tiny legs and the elongated body.

This weekend, I'll start working on some minor corrections in my beta and tweak the materials a bit. Hopefully, early next week the base set and Volume I will go to Hivewire QA and I'll be working on the Gila Monster-- very excited to start that ;)

NW_Lizards1_Promo4.jpg

Last edited: