• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
it's looking like a Gecko will be possible :)

GeckoMorph.JPG

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I finally have a UV map I'm happy with so I'm starting to fill in the blanks on this and upcoming "lizard" projects as I shift to textures and species selections. I'm envisioning the Lizard will have a similar approach in packaging as did my moths had, only only difference being that since the Lizard is much more complex than the moth model was (as well as the textures), it will come with one base species and the add-on sets with 4.

So here's the plan (subject to change):

Base set (Lizard Model with the Fence Lizard included; both eastern and western species)
*Note-- having the Western Fence Lizard means my Greater Roadrunner can finally have something to eat ;)

Volume One (Base Set required)

Volume Two (Base Set required)

Possible Candidates... (iguanas, helmeted and flying lizards, chameleons, etc will need to be a separate model(s)/project(s))

Ground Agama

Common collared lizard
California rock lizard
Viviparous lizard
Common Wall Lizard Podarcis muralis
Tokay gecko
Common Butterfly lizard
Blue-tongued Skink
Common Skink

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The colour of the Acanthocercus atricollis is really pretty (hope someone will do that for texture for the dragon :p)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The colour of the Acanthocercus atricollis is really pretty (hope someone will do that for texture for the dragon :p)
I'm also liking the Microlophus albemarlensis. Her belly definitely looks like dragon scales. :D

I would be hard pressed to choose from those suggestions for the second pack Ken. I never knew lizards could be so colorful.

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Well, then I'd like a Frilled Necked, Blue Tongue or perhaps a Goanna then :p hehehe
I included the Blue-tongue to keep the Australian fans happy, too ...as for the frilled necked, it will require a separate model. That frill will be troublesome to create and rig, since I'd insist on it being workable (being able to retract).

Admittedly, my list is a little California heavy-- but I'm creating the stuff, so I get first pick... ;)
..and besides despite being one of the most bio-diverse regions in the world (over 5,000 native plant species with over a 1/3 of them being endemic), California is poorly represented in 3D flora and fauna (with the except of birds lol)

Last edited:

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Sounds great these are all lizards, not geckos right? Wait I do see one gecko on your list…

And I got a little confused between a Western fence lizard and a blue belly… Looking them up on Google I think they're the same thing? Lizards with beautiful blue on their undersides are so common in California, I love them. But then actually I love any and all lizards because I just think they're so darn cute! I actually owned and even tried to raise the tiny unknowingly lizard… Dragon just doesn't know what I'm trying to say not even sure I can spell it with Dragon in my hand is really bad this week after too much art …a And oh L darn it… anolie they are little tiny lizards that change from green to brown ! my little guys laid eggs and I called the San Diego zoo to try to find out how to try to hatch them and did my best putting them in moist soil on top of the refrigerator but they never did Hatch.
http://www.trbimg.com/img-5453ebc5/...noles-evolved-in-florida-20141031/650/650x366

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I included the Blue-tongue to keep the Australian fans happy, too ...as for the frilled necked, it will require a separate model. That frill will be troublesome to create and rig, since I'd insist on it being workable (being able to retract).

Admittedly, my list is a little California heavy-- but I'm creating the stuff, so I get first pick... ;)
..and besides despite being one of the most bio-diverse regions in the world (over 5,000 native plant species with over a 1/3 of them being endemic), California is poorly represented in 3D flora and fauna (with the except of birds lol)
Haha of course you get first pick :) I'd be really stoked with a BT. I know the Frilly would be hard to do, just couldn't resist asking since its pretty distinctive :p

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Sounds great these are all lizards, not geckos right? Wait I do see one gecko on your list…

And I got a little confused between a Western fence lizard and a blue belly… Looking them up on Google I think they're the same thing? Lizards with beautiful blue on their undersides are so common in California, I love them...

Yes, ... blue-bellies are just another name for the Western Fence Lizard
---
Here's a little texture wip in progress render of the Fence Lizard-- I'll be having alternate materials to add the blue which appears during mating season. There's still a ton of work to do to them, bump/displacements are placeholders from another species, legs are roughed in-- as well as the belly, but the head morphs are about right.

Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Our endangered Calochortus weedii (an endemic Californian Lily) opened today... this and others will eventually be recreated in 3D for a future Nature's Wonders product...
DSC_3914sm.JPG

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Very unusual Lily Ken. The fringe of hair (for lack of a better word) around the petal edges is definitely different. Don't think I've ever seen a Lily like that. ;)