• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Think we should get him one of these ;)

image.jpeg

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
LOVE the little guys, Ken!!!!!!!!!! (imagines one munching down on a moth)... eeeuuuu.... ;)

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Yes, ... blue-bellies are just another name for the Western Fence Lizard
---
Here's a little texture wip in progress render of the Fence Lizard-- I'll be having alternate materials to add the blue which appears during mating season. There's still a ton of work to do to them, bump/displacements are placeholders from another species, legs are roughed in-- as well as the belly, but the head morphs are about right.

View attachment 12204

View attachment 12205

Our endangered Calochortus weedii (an endemic Californian Lily) opened today... this and others will eventually be recreated in 3D for a future Nature's Wonders product...
View attachment 12206

Gorgeous Weeds Mariposa Lily (common name)!!!! I am first in line to get this one!!

I do hope the bees are kind and pollinate this beauty. As it is endangered, we can't take the liberties of helping nature along and artificially pollinating it ourselves.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Gorgeous Weeds Mariposa Lily (common name)!!!! I am first in line to get this one!!

I do hope the bees are kind and pollinate this beauty. As it is endangered, we can't take the liberties of helping nature along and artificially pollinating it ourselves.

While we get some European bees on our plants, the majority of pollinators are native bees; carpenter bees, yellow-faced and other bumblebees, and over 20 different types of butterfly (birds pollinate, too). Native plants attract native insects-- only 10% of native insect are attracted to non-native plants-- instead you get invasive pests on them. Native birds are attracted to native insects; so going native, rebuilds the circle of life and improves the health of your garden and lessen the needs for pesticides.

If anyone is interested in California native bulbs like the Calochortus, Telos Rare Bulbs is the place to go. Bulb ordering season starts late summer/early fall. An important growing tip for those considering CA native bulbs; no not add any fertilizer-- that's the best way to kill a CA native plant-- they like ordinary soil and no water while the bulb is dominant.

Two of the more amazing Calochortus (both on my wishlist) are calochortus obispoensis and calochortus tiburonensis

Last edited:

Carey

Extraordinary
These little guys lick their eyes with their tongues, Don't know whether they have tear ducts or not, could be they are adjusting their contact lenses...lol

Kerya

Brilliant
Question: will there be a morph or something for the toes? Because the lizards I know have "curved" toes ... and are they rigged with more than one bone?

eidechseZehen.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Question: will there be a morph or something for the toes? Because the lizards I know have "curved" toes ... and are they rigged with more than one bone?l

each of the foot's digits has 4-6 bones in them along with EZ-Pose coding to make the bends

These little guys lick their eyes with their tongues, Don't know whether they have tear ducts or not, could be they are adjusting their contact lenses...lol

Gecko don't have eyelids, they have a clear membrane that protects their eyes. Because my model is generic, the eyelid morph is still there-- you'll have to remember not to use it with the gecko characters. I did add in a special 3-stage morph to allow the Gecko to lick one of it's eyes.

Untitled-1.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks, everyone... the Base Set and Volume I has moved into QA and I've moved on to Volume II.

What will Volume II have? The Tokay Gecko, the Alligator Lizard, the Black-necked Agama and the...

gilaWIP.jpg

I still have a ways to go on the texture, but my first wip render is encouraging. I will do the red and yellow versions of the Gila Monster as well.

In creating this lizard, I can't help but want to create a small desert environment similar to what I did with the Kiwi Burrow... who knows, it might happen ;)

Added: Looking at this image again-- my mesh is showing it's versatility; from the gila monster to those earlier lizard images and the gecko

Last edited: