• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Narrow Shoulders for Dawn

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This is a project I have started for personal use, and some of you might have already seen it in action for quite a while in my gallery renders. So what does it do? Easier to show and than explain.

ShowEffects.gif

Keep in mind this morph makes more sense in poses where the arms are down. Otherwise the effect may not be quite as visiable. Below it's default Dawn on the left, and on the right it's her with Narrow Shoulders applied. Note how the general shoulders silhouette changes!

Promo04_600x800.jpg

Sounds simple enough, but this dial actually modifies the skeleton for the entire arm, from collars down to the finger tips. The shoulders are always a tough area to do any morphs with, so it was far from trivial. But I am happy I have worked on this until I've got something that allowed me to control Dawn's shoulder size.

Dawn already has morphs for "shoulder size" and "shoulder narrow", but [by far] they don't reach where I need this to go. They change more the shoulders height when the arms are down, but still not the actual width. Hence, here is "Narrow Shoulders for Dawn"!

Like I said, I made this morph for personal use, and I do use it a lot nowadays - almost in every render, in different amounts, depending on the character and pose. It's worth mentioning that I rarely ever use the morph to its full extend. Sometimes even half way or less will do pretty well. It's not the kind of dial you will want to always push all the way to max. Sometimes subtle is better. :)

Promo00_1000x1300.jpg

This week I have finished internal beta-testing, and I have been working on the promos and store materials.

Last edited:

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Hey, Ken, that looks amazing! Can't wait to grab it up.

Could we see a pose like this with your Narrow Shoulders in action? This kind of pose (shoulder up) is where a corrective morph will really affect clothing fits.

DawnShoulder.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hey, Ken, that looks amazing! Can't wait to grab it up.

Could we see a pose like this with your Narrow Shoulders in action? This kind of pose (shoulder up) is where a corrective morph will really affect clothing fits.

Thanks, Traci! I wouldn't suggest using this with poses where the arms are up, but it should work with ANY pose. Here is a quick render with Narrow Shoulders dialed all the way up, in a pose with one of the arms way up. Normally I would have to copy the morph to the shirt, but it that wasn't necessary. HW's tank top has worked off the box with no changes. This morph moves the entire arm skeleton, so we only need to copy the morph to things that are sitting on top of the arms.

Does this answer your question?

upload_2018-4-5_12-24-54.png

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
It does answer the question, thank you! Biiiig improvement there. I'm looking forward to this.

In a shirt with sleeves, that pose will balloon the underarm of the shirt a lot and you can't control it very much or you get massive pokethrough when the arm is down.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes, and they mostly solve the problem, but I'm sure you understand nit picking a rig to make it look just a little better on bends like this.

The hardest part in shirt rigging is always the shoulders. Not coincidentally, the human body has 2 major ball-joints: the collars and the thighs, and those are the tough cookies in 3D rigging.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Here's a comparison chart with Dawn, Dawn + NS, G2F and G3F. Dawn seems to have the widest shoulders and the thickest arms from the bunch. Dawn already has morphs to thin up upper arms and forearms, and now NS offers a way to narrow the shoulders as well.

I think Dawn + NS has the nicest shoulder slope from the bunch. It's nice to be able to control this aspect of Dawn.

Narrow Shoulders4.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Outstanding!!! A must have! :)

Thanks! It's in QAV now. :)

Wow such a difference, I really like this, she looks more feminine!

Thanks! I also think she looks more feminine, but some people got mad on me for saying that because it's a matter of personal preference. The important thing is that Narrow Shoulders will give people the choice of how they want this to be. It's important to have the option. In my personal renders, I tend to use this subtly, and people still notice the difference. Sometimes as little as "0.2" already changes the looks of a character. I have been using it in all of my renders nowadays.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
An excellent option (to me, an improvement). Don't think me an azz, but can I haz this for Daz?

Thank you! It went to the store without a DS version, but that doesn't mean there won't be one. I just need more time and more support from DS users. What I mean by that is that I have created DS versions of everything in my first 3+ years at HW, and they just sat on the shelves. Looking back at the numbers, they represented barely 8% of my sales, but 60% of additional production time since I am a Poser guy. At some point I just gave up trying, since the DS public was just not here for me. I hope you understand why it's not a priority to me like it used to be in the past.