• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Members Mugs (Mugshots)

McG.

Enthusiast
Ah! What a great bunch of coconuts, just hanging around! And, you are all truly a great bunch of people. I started reading this thread last night, and did the supper and sleep thing, up at 7:30 and finished reading. My avatar is a pretty recent-ish pic. But, I got a good camera, and a good smart phone with a couple nice cameras in it too. Sooo...
first- the ships are sailing out to sea with Barnacle Bill the Sailor!
second-open eyes, OPEN EYES!
third-goody its done! ;)

"My name is Michael, I *AM* a 'Mc', and a grandfather since '97, therefore McGrandpa which abbreviated, is McG. Who just turned 65. " And there ya have me folks! :D

Attachments

• WP_20190514_07_06_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190514_07_06_32_Pro.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 253
  • WP_20190810_10_47_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190810_10_47_15_Pro.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 278
  • WP_20190810_10_47_53_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190810_10_47_53_Pro.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

McG.

Enthusiast
Hugging and vegging out with Tigers. Ah what a life!

I have a 7 year old Seal Point Siamese and a 10 year old Brown Marble Bengal. Mogwai, the Siamese, is my Baby Boy, born right here beside this house, never spent a night outside. Tattoo, the Bengal, was brought to me to 'rescue' less than a year old. Raised outside, he's an indoor guy now. He has allergies real bad and gets really clingy when the daily hives rush through him. I hold him, love him and I know he fakes the allergy attacks at times. Just so I will hold him. Cats. Smart critters! They're my buddies, I Love em!

quietrob

Extraordinary
Good Story and good job! I want to work my kid over and tell him get busy and get me grandkids but que sera sera!

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
The midterm from my Art 501 class taken just a few years ago, so relatively current. Entailed mixing acrylics, doing posterization of a photo taken with one main light source, and then we were supposed to add something representative of ourselves and our interests. The Celtic interlace was fairly obvious. The other symbol was a modified #7 which I'd already used in a pattern-making assignment earlier in the semester.

The graphic is also posted over on Red Hen among the rest of my student work.
501-midterm.jpg

Carey

Extraordinary
The midterm from my Art 501 class taken just a few years ago, so relatively current. Entailed mixing acrylics, doing posterization of a photo taken with one main light source, and then we were supposed to add something representative of ourselves and our interests. The Celtic interlace was fairly obvious. The other symbol was a modified #7 which I'd already used in a pattern-making assignment earlier in the semester.

The graphic is also posted over on Red Hen among the rest of my student work.
View attachment 60216
Hard to believe that before computers there were schools around that had the nerve to call themselves "Art Colleges" It was the year of 79...I called myself a graphic artist, but really I was dumb as a box of rocks...lol met my wife that same year and she has been trying to live it down every sense.....lol

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
L. A. City College is part of California's Junior Collage system. It's actually quite a good school for both the fine and the performing arts.

Not sure which of the 4-year colleges in the system are good for the arts. The prestige schools are things like Art Center and (I think) Parson's School of Design. There may be others. All of those private and expen$ive.

Art 501 is the basic class which is a prerequisite for just about everything offered by the Art department. Both analog and digital.

Of course I was only taking these classes after I had retired after over 30 years of working in graphics. But I got 'A's in every one of them.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yeah the main "big" art schools are Parsons (main one in NYC; they used to have one in LA and they have a program in Paris); Rhode Island School of Design, better known as RISD (where both my high school art teachers graduated from); School of Visual Arts (SVA) in NYC; Copper Union (also NYC), and Pratt (yeah another NYC:) I did get to take a couple of summer classes with Milton Glaser at SVA. Was cool, but wow, he is one anti-social dude at least when it came to students. Many Parsons teachers went way out of their way to help their students get freelance jobs while at school and then work after graduation.

I did graduate from Parsons NYC in Communication Design and a minor in Illustration (and yes it wasn't exactly cheap when I did it, but now! Yikes!! One year is way more than what I paid for my whole 4 years there). I have to say it was the most amazing experience of my life to get to go there and learn from some of the most amazing artists/designers in the world there and have access to all those awe-inspiring museums in NYC. ( I was a hick kid from Vermont:) The teachers made Parsons what it is- the "campus" is a bit of a joke - the old saying there was "The city is your campus":) And LOL I graduated in 1984- the year before they started teaching on computers at all:) I for one am very glad I learned my "craftsmanship" there. It has stood me in good stead in all my various artistic endeavors over the years. After all, in the long run, a computer is just a tool!

One doesn't need to go to a big name art school though. I know so many way talented artists who went to schools I've never heard of. It's really about your own personal passion for, and decdication to art in the long run.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
One of my very rare Portraits. I am very camera shy and not really much images exists from me. :)
This one is 2 days old. So my most recent.
I could even manage to iron out my horrible curls , which usually go in every direction :D But yeah, 30 minutes in front of the mirror with cursing and straitening , they look even decent this day.
Ginger is actually my real hair color, here they are darker, because I try to color them, but red takes really bad any hair color.
So don't laugh :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210120_153629 copy.jpg
    IMG_20210120_153629 copy.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 180

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
One of my very rare Portraits. I am very camera shy and not really much images exists from me. :)
This one is 2 days old. So my most recent.
I could even manage to iron out my horrible curls , which usually go in every direction :D But yeah, 30 minutes in front of the mirror with cursing and straitening , they look even decent this day.
Ginger is actually my real hair color, here they are darker, because I try to color them, but red takes really bad any hair color.
So don't laugh :)
Looking great, and happy!!

Thanks for sharing.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
Looking great, and happy!!

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Chris :) .
I took this Pic for my mother in law for her "Family album" she is working on.
took me 10-15 minutes to push here the upload and Post reply button. LOL I am sooo Camera shy and when I have a image from me, a rare moment, I never dare to upload it somewhere. LOL

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The only pictures I like of me are all when I was less than two. Every single picture of me as a teenager and adult are horrible. At some point in my life, cameras decided they absolutely hate me. Consequently, I avoid having my picture taken whenever possible. For a couple years, my driver's license was valid without a photo. I achieved this by losing my driver's license while I was out of state (like on the opposite coast) for several months. Since I was unable to "pop" into the Oregon DMV to get my photo taken for a replacement license, the Oregon DMV issued it with no photo.

Sadly, when I moved to Philadelphia, I gave up my Oregon driver's license for a Pennsylvania driver's license. What a pain it is to renew a driver's license in PA! While PA lets you renew the driver's license (and car registration) online, when renewing the driver's license, the state mails you back a "photo card" to take to the DMV where they take the photo and issue the actual card. That's a process that never takes less than an hour.

Fortunately, because of the Pandemic, PA is not currently requiring people to get a new photo. Yay! (Like I look so different than I have for the last couple of decades)

Anyway, I have fine straight hair, which is a pain to do anything with. Decades ago when I'd been brainwashed to believe hair needed to be "styled," I did the curler thing and the curling iron thing, and the blow dryer and "styling" brush thing. But, I drew the line at shellacking my hair with hairspray. I hate the smell of hairspray and intensely dislike the look and feel of my hair when it's been sprayed. Without shellacking, the curl would last at most half an hour.

I was always envious of those with curly hair, just as friends with unmanageable curly hair were envious of my fine straight hair.

Eventually, I gave up on "styling," and settled on just getting pixie cuts/clipper cuts. I was ever so much happier with my hair. My mom was shocked when I started cutting my hair so short. She remembered how devastated I was when I was a wee one, and she took me to get a pixie cut. I was in tears the entire time. But of course! After all, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty didn't wear pixie cuts! How could I be a princess if I didn't have long hair?!?

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I never worry what I look like. That's the problem of other person. If they faint or their eyes glaze over, it's still their problem.
I have very fine blow-away hair and am very allergic to hairspray, and nearly all other hair products. I can't even enter the aisle with the crap in it half the time. I either wear ponytails or braids, or a I cut it very short. That's all that works, and this is real life, and in real life you have to deal with what is.
Driver's license is for ID. It's what your outer person looks like so they know who it is. Just like official legal names and other annoyances which don't really fit one's inner self.
For your inner person, use 3D art to make a picture of who you feel your inner self looks like and post that on your computer screen. or on your wall. Just don't get the fantasy inner princess mixed up with the real-life person.
Personally, I feel my inner self is a dragon. And dragons don't need hair, curly or otherwise.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think I was in my 30s when I really started questioning why we're expected to look the way others think we should look. I never liked wearing makeup, so I started not wearing makeup. It took a bit longer before I was able to dress how I wanted to dress, since I worked in an office. Offices have lightened up a lot compared to 30-40 years ago.

Long before I was a preteen, the princesses had been tossed out. But a 5 year old hasn't seen or experienced enough of the world and life to realize just how boring those princesses were.

After my divorce I got a dragon tattoo over my "heart" because the dragon represents wisdom, strength, and protection to me. And ... nobody, but nobody, makes a dragon do what she doesn't want to do.

Dragons really don't need hair, curly or otherwise.

But then, neither do humans :wink:

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Both of my parents had been raised in very old fashioned surroundings and were middle aged when I was born. As a result I was in braids, forbidden to have a hair cut and had skirts below my knees in the very early 1960s when everyone else was wearing hair up to their ears and skirts above the knees. (Later on, they all grew their hair out and got long dresses. My mother thought it was nice they all finally were wearing dresses that were long enough...and I never could get across to her what a "hippie" was.) I never did look like everyone else.
By the way, the icon picture I have? That is a photo of me. Decade or so back, but me.