• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Liana's WIP Thread :)

Lianam

Eager
I ma just doing this to show what I am working at any given moment. It could be textures for clothes, meshes props etc), or renders. :)

Lianam

Eager
Ok, so I am working on some stuff at the moment for Dawn. I am making new textures for her current clothes I have for her. I am in the process of working on the pants and shirt from basics2. I did make some new eye textures for her I had the colors already done. I think there is 3 blue, 3 green, and 3 brown at this point. I did not set-up any lights just rendered as is. I thought I would share my progress. :)

dawn clothing wip01.png

Last edited:

Lianam

Eager
Thanks. Yes, it is. I have a bit more to do yet. I should get to it today now with it raining outside. :)

Lianam

Eager
I have worked on a few other items. I am not always happy with the results. I am mostly using 3DL it is easier on my system and quicker at the moment. I will post some of my Dawn, Dusk, Harry, and Hivewire cat here maybe someone can give me some advice. In the mean time I guess I will be doing some more research. :)

Dawn n Dusk.jpg

Lianam

Eager
This one is being a pain. I started it this fall. I think Dawn has too much light and V4 not enough. The cats look like I slicked them with grease. LOL I am still using 3DL in this scene. It is still a work in progress as they say. :)
Harvest day.jpg

Lianam

Eager
Just basic ones. I mostly create my own lights though. Like spot light, distant, etc. Ones that come with some of the scenes I don't like as well. Like the harvest render. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I find that for lighting it is easier to get a good result with a light set. I like the photographic whiteroom that came with Alexis from 3DU, but I also have some favourites from Inane Glory, Theory Dimension and Lantios.

Iray is even easier to light I have some great lights that come as backgrounds also and some of the Iray sets have great lighting.

Lianam

Eager
I have only heard of theory dimension. As for light sets that come with scenes etc. I have not really liked them. Some say the lighting is dependent on outdoor or indoor type scenes and the actual setting up of the materials.
I have done some iray rendering but it a very slow process for me compared to 3DL. When I started I had an even slower machine than I do now. I just need to sit down, read, take some notes and try to make head and tails out of it all. I think it will take some time. I only really started less than a year ago and when spring rolls around I am too busy with the farm until winter settles in again. :)

quietrob

Extraordinary
Just a note. Terradome 2 comes with only two lights. One IBL and One Light to simulate the sun. If your machine doesn't have the muscles and you're impatient for results, you might consider that setup. Personally I do save up for lightsets. You can get some interesting results. Do Poser and DAZ lights play well together?

Would a comic page be okay to post?

Lianam

Eager
Oh..my 11 years? Well about 7 years for me, but lighting was not an issue until I got into Daz. haha *grumbles*

You can post a comic page here if you like I don't mind. :) I have to look up IBL again. Image based light correct?

I did pick-up Terradome 2 for free and have not cracked it open yet. I am completely in the dark about Daz & poser lights playing together. *I need more light* :D Anyways, joking aside. I did learn to make an environment light shader. It helps a little. I still end up plopping in various spot, distant, etc lights.

I did some fiddling with the Harvest scene. So far it is mostly the material/surfaces tab I needed to diddle with. I dug out some pdfs I found on surfaces and went back over them again. I got the girls looking better and with tans. Now I need to take another look at the cats and find a suitable background image.

Lianam

Eager
I learned something new that I had not noticed before. When in surfaces tab and depending on which prop, figure, etc a person has selected it may show a different possible shader that was used on it. I never noticed that before hiding in the far upper left hand corner. Now i have to learn about omhumansurface and AOA subsurface. It's no wonder I was massively confused. Ha!

Edit to add: I went back to the tutorial on the environment light I created it was an IBL one, too much info can't remember it all,. haha I have not added it to a few of my scenes yet. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Daz and Poser lights do not work well in the other program. If you want good iray lighting in DS Terradome 3 is an excellent buy. Anything by Dimension Theory, Age of Armour, Inane Glory, Lantios are all good lights sets for Uber and some of them have also done Iray sets.