• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Liana's WIP Thread :)

Lianam

Eager
I have been doing more modeling than anything here lately. I made this for the cow and I have various parts so it can be put together 'properly'. I think it was as hard to make this barbwire fence as it is to build one in real life. haha :)

cow n fence .png

cow n fence weathered.png

Lianam

Eager
Thanks! Yea, I created a normal map suggested by someone else for the wood, but that did not seem to do the job. *shrugs*

Lianam

Eager
Yea... still trying to grasp the whole surface tab/shader thing. I went back and pulled the normal map. I did try to boost it up a bit, which didn't help. I had made greyscale maps for each type of post texture, so I popped them in the bump and displacement map. I cranked the displacement up 200%. This is what I got. The smoother looking post it changed some, but the other with knots changed a bit more. :) Anyways, correct if I am wrong but if I recall using normal map was more for iray to help with render times??

Cow n fence.png

Lianam

Eager
I have a few other fence ideas I have been working on and parts for making corrals more fit for horses even though my old horse ShaRaab has lived behind barbwire fences with my cows all his life. I have loads of ideas for this working with the fences too. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
The one with knots looks to be heading in the right direction. Have a look at some of these old fence posts - Google Search
notice the vertical cracks that even the newer posts seem to have...look at this one http://www.decoyswildlife.com/wildlife/070211_008.jpg notice how the top isn't really flat it has slight indentations.
These are the sort of things that I would be looking at adding...though I'm not an expert at any of this.

Lianam

Eager
The one with knots looks to be heading in the right direction. Have a look at some of these old fence posts - Google Search
notice the vertical cracks that even the newer posts seem to have...look at this one http://www.decoyswildlife.com/wildlife/070211_008.jpg notice how the top isn't really flat it has slight indentations.
These are the sort of things that I would be looking at adding...though I'm not an expert at any of this.

Well, that is where I come in 20 plus years of farming helps with a lot of fence mending and building. I use a mix of steel or wood round fence posts usually. I thought about modeling a steel 'T' fence post. The posts available and most used in fencing are ones similar to mine I made. They are also the cheapest for farmers. I don't buy green/pressure treated posts I usually get cedar, they seem to be cheaper with the exception of the fancier ones. I have had rail road ties that are bigger and square, but they don't last and are a pain to remove. The square posts are usually more expensive. In my area there are fence posts that are 40 years old and were made from smaller trees cut to size. :)

Lianam

Eager
:) Thanks for giving suggestions though. My hurdle is figuring out what I can and can not do with all the dials, sliders, etc in the surface tab. So, I worked on the displacement map some after going back and rereading what little daz has on it. I did some more tweaking. It's finding that fine line of what I want and what I can do. There are a couple of things missing I thought about adding, but no one has caught that so I may not worry about it. hehehe:)

cow n fence .png

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I haven't been around a farm in a long time but the posts look a little close to me? But its looking pretty good. Are you going to do a gate too? (the end bit to the right looks like the posts the put in the corner?)

Lianam

Eager
Yay! You win the grand prize whatever that might be. hehe
Actually, that is the gate just have some missing elements I have been debating on modeling those not sure how I would present them as separate pieces that can be added since like you said the posts on the right could also be corner ones. The tricky part was modeling this out so the pieces can be put together how one might want. I have like 6 parts to the whole fence 'prop' at this point. Thinking..... I might end up with 8 total yet. I will add picture(s) of all the pieces I have. :)

Lianam

Eager
This shows all the pieces at this point. I think I have make an addition to one piece for sure and create an additional section from the looks of it if I want a proper fence so to speak in my eyes. The ground slopes on the left which makes the fence look a bit off there. :)

fence parts.png

Lianam

Eager
I have seen those kinds. Gramps always made the wire and post ones here.. cheaper i guess in the end especially out in the pastures. Steel gates here are spendy, no wire, and we have had cows squish those things flatter than a pancake. lol We also mostly used those in corrals. You have cement corner posts too? oh and net wire. I curse that stuff when no one keeps the trees and such out them. I have had to fix and eventually replace complete sections with that stuff. Rocks placed in a circular wire mesh have been used. I have not been sold on that idea yet. lol

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think wooden posts are more common, but the 2 star-pickets between wooden ones are a common sight (we also have square wooden posts as well as round but not usually mixed together in same fence). Metal gates seem to be the most common here I think (as that's the main kind I've seen). And this is a common gate closer too (yes the dangle bit is meant to go over the mushroom bit, but it is really common to see when the gates have dropped and the chain is too short just to wire it like this :p). An electric fence is quite common too.

Lianam

Eager
That is similar what is used with our metal gates back in the old days it is a bit different now with newer gates, but chains are common. Gramps and others use some smooth (or barb) wire at the top of the gate and lower end attached with a big staple to the 'corner' post, then uses some sort of 'handle' to pull the gate closer to the corner post to slide the upper wire loop over it.

This is sort of representative of how our gates are 'latched'. http://www.barbed-wire-fence.com/image-files/wiregate5.jpg

Electric is common for most fence except property/boundary fences here. I have electric everywhere inside my boundary/property fence.

Gramps always said there are 2 things to keep cows in. 1. a good fence being primary and 2. keep them well fed :)