• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Liana's WIP Thread :)

quietrob

Extraordinary
Oh..my 11 years? Well about 7 years for me, but lighting was not an issue until I got into Daz. haha *grumbles*

You can post a comic page here if you like I don't mind. :) I have to look up IBL again. Image based light correct?

I did pick-up Terradome 2 for free and have not cracked it open yet. I am completely in the dark about Daz & poser lights playing together. *I need more light* :D Anyways, joking aside. I did learn to make an environment light shader. It helps a little. I still end up plopping in various spot, distant, etc lights.

I did some fiddling with the Harvest scene. So far it is mostly the material/surfaces tab I needed to diddle with. I dug out some pdfs I found on surfaces and went back over them again. I got the girls looking better and with tans. Now I need to take another look at the cats and find a suitable background image.

My bad...I thought I was in the "I just wanted to post an image thread"

where's my sign?

Lianam

Eager
No Problem rob. :)

I will look into those names for other lights. If anything just to learn. Thanks!

There are some lights in my stuff. I will look and see who made them. :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Khory is another vendor with good lighting. Both 3DL and Iray. I used her Caressed by Light sets as base lights for the project which got posted in the Just wanted to Post an Image thread some months back. Usually added linear points for lamps and fireplaces or a spot outside a window for sunlight.

Lianam

Eager
Thanks JOdel. I will look at Khory's stuff for lights too. I know once I learn a few tricks I will be ok. I went back and reviewed stuff on light set-ups and need to do some more practicing. :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
One thing I like about Khory's sets is that you can add her lights (at least from those sets) without replacing whatever lights you already have in the scene. With rather a lot of the illustrations in that series, I used Flipmode lights from one of his Easy Environments (also a good source of lights, particularly for exteriors) as work lights when I set the scene up and then added one of Khory's sets, and deleted the FM ambients and left the sunlight for generating shadows.

Lianam

Eager
Thanks! I have some of Flipmode's easy environments in my wishlist. I just have not gotten them at this point. It will take me forever to get things I need and organized. LOL Is the little render you did with the toon family and pony part of a story line?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep, flipmode is one of my favourites also...I haven't tried Khory's lights. Her shaders are very good though.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
No, not a story. It will be used for a cover of an Apa that I belong to eventually. That's why I did it in letter size. Just need to add the title and date.

Lianam

Eager
@ Pendraia...Cool..good to have fans endorse PA's stuff. Sometimes I worry about getting something and not liking it. :)
@JOdel I still really liked :)

Lianam

Eager
I have been reworking some of my older renders mostly the lighting with other changes or additions. Here is one of Dawn I posted earlier and here is my updated version. I found some light presets (not ones I made) and have been adding them and studying them. I have made some minor adjustments and additional lights. Still learning about lights though. The holding the volleyball is a pose I worked on from an existing standing one. :)

Beach_Dawn.png

Lianam

Eager
Oh Cool! Thanks Pendraia. Yea, Dawn needs clothes good thing most v4 things work on her too. One day when I get Daz figured out hopefully I can make some stuff too to share. :)
Add: I grabbed those morphs. Opps I am silly I already had them and added so it looks like. haha :)

jecnodde

Admirable
I also only render in 3delight (Dont have a NVIDIA card) when I'm making images in DS (about one/month for contests)

First tip: Shader tweaking. I think I spend about 50% of the time just changing shaders.
Second tip: Lighting...as other have mention. I so recomend get the Advanced Ambient Light.

Then its also a matter of change light, do test renders, change, do test renders. I think I spend like 45% of time in DS just to get lighting right.
I also spend time reading forum and getting tips :)

Lianam

Eager
Sorry, I have not responded in a while. I was actually working on just those things, plus some texturing, modeling, etc. I feel like I spend a lot of time doing just the same as you. I have been doing some modeling in Blender and have a few projects in the works. I gave hexagon a try but I felt a bit limited there, so I went back to Blender. In the mean time, I have learned a lot so it is all good. I just have not done many renders lately. :)

I also only render in 3delight (Dont have a NVIDIA card) when I'm making images in DS (about one/month for contests)

First tip: Shader tweaking. I think I spend about 50% of the time just changing shaders.
Second tip: Lighting...as other have mention. I so recomend get the Advanced Ambient Light.

Then its also a matter of change light, do test renders, change, do test renders. I think I spend like 45% of time in DS just to get lighting right.
I also spend time reading forum and getting tips :)

Lianam

Eager
Thought I would share one of the things I have been working on. I was playing with the Daz cow the poor thing. In the process I have discovered many things about the cow. I made some changes to her in Daz and saved them as a scene or pose. There is not much I can do with her other wise. I would like to 'paint' her better, but the uvmap is a nightmare from what I have found. I did a render with her and the water trough I made.

water trough.png

water trough n polly.png

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
The poor thing does need a decent texture...I like the work you did on the trough though.

Lianam

Eager
The poor thing does need a decent texture...I like the work you did on the trough though.

Yea, I just moved polys around so things could be painted, colored, or even textured a bit better in the surfaces tab. I just slapped on a basic color to see how reassigning the polys looked. :)
I did another render with a friend. I own black angus cattle so I had to do a black cow too. hehe She really does need a new texture. The black cow kind of shows how the original polys were set-up, especially in the nose area. I got some hair/fur brushes so I want to give them a try. :)

poly cow.png

Last edited: