• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

LAMH Fuzzy Kitty

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Cool image :) FYI, Ken & Laurie's Winged Horse is in QAV. A few issues are being worked out, but it won't be long :)

Carey

Extraordinary
kitten.jpg
I don't know if this amounts to any thing, but this is what I came up with for a furry kitten...

Carey

Extraordinary
And now I am thoroughly mystified... When I load A. M.'s fur preset (which renders beautifully), there are only five-or-so "slots" that show up in the surfaces tab. When I load my fur preset, there are pages and pages of slots in the surfaces tab. Now how to figure out how to condense the options so that the little kitties render more like the big kitty.View attachment 22365

Black kitten is looking a bit better, just the specular needs work, I think. Orange kitty? Not so much. :(
very interesting indeed...

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
It really is a lot of fun once you get through the initial (mostly user) error stages of crashing the plugin. The end result is SOOO worth it, though!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Finally with updating to the latest version of DS managed to get a render of the LAMH kitty. Can anyone suggest how to get rid of the white bits in the render? I tried increasing the time. It didn't change much...
Whats down there 2.jpg

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Is it iray? Using the Human Hair Shader? I think I had that happen with certain lighting and I basically set the Glossy Reflectivity to default not the recommended .1 and that went away.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yes, it's Iray but I didn't use the Human hair shader. I'm trying it with different lighting to see how it goes. This version of DS is definitely quicker...hmmm...hair shader, did you apply it before adding the hair?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
If using the Saiyaness presets they default to "Human Hair Shader" in the Surface Shader box of the LAMH free player pane. If suing 3DL one switches that to Standard Shader. Once youve made the iray OBJ one still needs to convert it to Iray Uber Base and then apply Saiyaness' suggested settings of Translucency Weight of .05 to .1 and Glossy Reflectivity of .1. I would suggest trying your render without applying those suggestions first and see what happens. If you already did, then reset them to default and see what happens.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm using the full version. When exporting to Fibermesh using the blue button it comes up as quantity in the box. I thought the settings on the cat translated to the hair or am I totally confused. I used the Iray mats on the cat before creating the hair?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I own the full version of LAMH too but here is the workflow I use for making LAMH iray hair for kitty: (if you have an older version of LAMH I strongly suggest downloading the updated version)

1. Select HW Cat in Scene.
2. Bring up the player window (top menu Window-> Panes-> Look at My Hair)
3. Hit the button “Attach Preset” (then scroll to where you saved the presets- I put them in Documents/Daz 3D/lookatmyhairAM/presets - I am on Mac)
4. Wait wait wait….:)
5. Once the guide hairs are generated, then assign a numeric value to number of hairs under “Hair Quantity”. Saiyaness suggests 1,200,000 for the Cat and I’ve been using 400,000 for the kitten to good effect. I didn’t change any of the other LAMH settings.

wait wait wait….:)

6. If using 3DL then one can play with the MAT generated (select i.e.: HiveWireHouseCat_Grp_0 under Scene and in Surfaces to modify the MAT) (I haven’t done any 3DL renders with it but that is how that works it seems)

7. If wanting to use Iray , next click the button “to OBJ”.

Wait a LONG time and follow/click the dialog boxes that appear.

Then once that is generated select HiveWireHouseCat_Grp_0 under Scene (will be in the HiveWireHouseCat LAMH Group) and Surfaces tab and then apply the Iray Uber Base Shader. Then modify that shader with Saiyaness’s suggested settings. Different lights and coats will need adjustment from those settings but they are a good place to start.

Then render!

LOL FWIW I am also having the same problem with the long hair preset in a render I am doing right now- will def let you know what I discover. ... VOILA! I also set the Glossy Layered Weight to 0 and reset what I talked about above and that did the trick.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Laurie, but I don't have the player installed as I was told that having both installed will cause problems.

However, most of what you've posted is similar to what I've been doing except this

I normally click on the blue button on the top right hand side where it say FiberHair.

My problems seem to revolve around the fact that I can do the exact same thing with LAMH and yet get different results. For example sometimes it loads into DS with the green guide hairs showing and when that happens it doesn't work when I try to render. If it loads and looks like fur it will normally render fine but it's getting LAMH to load it properly. It's been my experience that the program is very buggy on my system.

Thanks for trying to help.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks Laurie, but I don't have the player installed as I was told that having both installed will cause problems.

However, most of what you've posted is similar to what I've been doing except this

I normally click on the blue button on the top right hand side where it say FiberHair.

My problems seem to revolve around the fact that I can do the exact same thing with LAMH and yet get different results. For example sometimes it loads into DS with the green guide hairs showing and when that happens it doesn't work when I try to render. If it loads and looks like fur it will normally render fine but it's getting LAMH to load it properly. It's been my experience that the program is very buggy on my system.

Thanks for trying to help.

Sorry- I mean that use the player pane that the newer full LAMH has- it looks exactly like the free player pane. (it is a free upgrade- all one has to do is re-download it) And like the free player pane one can access it via top menu Window->Panes-> Look at My Hair. For using existing presets one doesn't need to use the LAMH Editor at all.

Yes you are correct - do not have both the free player and full version installed- that will mess things up. And yes when you first load the preset, you will get the green guide hairs- that can be used directly in a 3DL render. For iray I hide them and ignore them once I have made the iray OBJ. Then I convert that OBJ to the Iray Uber Base Shader and adjust the shader settings for the lighting I am using.

There is a bit of a discussion on all this in my CWRW Product Preview thread recently that might be helpful too.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Okay...I download through DIM and have the latest that they have done through there. Is there somewhere else that I should look to download this? As my version definitely doesn't have the To Obj button you're talking about.

Also, I mean I get the green guides in DS work area not in the LAMH area where you get them when you load the preset. I've found when I get that it doesn't render properly. For the render to work I've found it should look like the hairs in the DS work area, but maybe it just doesn't like my system. I need to get a new system I think as mine is getting fairly old.

Last edited:

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hey Pen- I think I am going to write a blog with pix and etc and /or a screen capture video for this as of course I am now getting asked all kinds of questions about LAMH all the time now and I so want to support our kitties with it. It's really not hard but there is a def workflow that works best. And I think your machine is likely fine- things just have to be done in a certain order and etc. And patience is also important:) Some of the steps take a while. Will try to get to that in the next few days. I think then it will all be a lot clearer!

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Hmm. It looks like I am too slow. As Laurie mentioned, the way to get rid of the white speckles is to set the the Glossy layered weight to zero. There is also an on/off button to set to off; I think it is "Share Glossy Weights", but my machine is rendering right now so I can't check. I always export to Fibermesh hairs rather than OBJ, since the resulting geometry has a much smaller file size and doesn't take up as much system resources. Using the full LAMH, you can edit the texture maps of the cat after attaching the preset and before exporting to OBJ/fibermesh, but it's a bit of a pain.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks VB...that sounds like a similar process to what I'm using. I normally hit the button to do stuff like import the preset and export to fiber hair and then walk away until it's done as they take a while and I've crashed it a few times when I've started fiddling. I still find that the export is in the lap of the gods though and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't I think it might be a memory related/processer issue though.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
I've never had a problem during the actual export process, other than a severe trial of patience... trying to use Studio during import or export would cause a crash, though.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hey Pen

It sounds like your workflow is fine for using the older LAMH version- for your render here it sounds like all you need to do is make that change to the Glossy Layered Weight in the shader/surfaces to get rid of those odd white lines in the coat.

Def letting the export happen and not messing with anything during that process is a good idea. Def a patience game there:) I normally leave that computer totally alone during that step. I normally go check email or do other things on another computer while that's going on til a dialog box comes up needing my attention etc.