• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

LAMH Fuzzy Kitty

Dan30

Adventurous
Based on what I observed on different centaurs created in the past, all of them, regardless of being male, female or other creature, shared the SAME horse part.
May I suggest that the horse part be adjusted also according to the gender and/or creature it is combined with so that we have smaller, slender, less bulky female centaurs and more muscular and robust males allowing them to distinguish themselves by other features other than just the human part ?
Another thing is the mane missing entirely from the centaur bodies. I would like to see a nicer (and longer) transition from the horse part to the human/creature part so that it looks it evolved from the horse body, not just being attached to it. As for the mane, I envision a centaur species with a mane starting from the base of the neck of the human part, maybe even merging with the human hair, nicely flowing along the back, which can of course be hidden in the event of using clothing.
In addition, morph changes to the face and chest structure would add to the centaur uniqueness as a mythical creature IMHO , enabling the user to create original shapes. At least, if I were to model a centaur, this is the way I would approach it. And it would certainly be original.
So, what do you guys think?

Faewolf

Inspired
First : so sorry that we're taking over the original thread!

Can we have a Centaur for Dawn/Dusk/Harry separate thread set up somewhere?

@Dan30
Sry I just have different opinion with you on some points! xD when I want a centaur I want a traditional one, not a new monster.

About the bulkiness of the models - what if I want to create a very rough and tough female centaur? Building in such gender dimorphism isn't always a good thing, especially when you can easily get your slender female/bulky male with morphs. Better to start them both off as neutral/blank slates and let the user decide how they want it.

I don't know about longer but I do like to see a nice transition between horse and human - not just a harsh line like the Centaur7 has. RawArt has a character out for Centaur7 - Rogan-where he reworks the transition and I gotta say it looks much better and definitely more what I was envisioning.

The mane thing your describing could be cool but I definitely would want the option to be able to completely hide the mane part running up the human back. I don't always want hairy back centaurs xD maybe make it an add-on piece that can be turned on and off?

For morph changes to the head and body...I think those should be treated lightly. Maybe give them pointed ears to imply a more horse/elfin/magical look or add some slight musculature in the transition area from horse to human (which imagine the ab streangth they must have to keep the human half from just flopping around xD ) but make them all on seperate dials so they can be reverted to the default human shape - personally I don't want to be stuck with one look no matter how unique it is. I want to be the one to decide how monstery or human I want my character to look based on the tools given to me.

Which actually your idea could be a really cool character add-on but IMO not the initial base product released.

Really love to see more discussion on the centaur though! So the creators know that they'll have a market and make more content creators want to hop on the centaur bandwagon ^^

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
About the bulkiness of the models - what if I want to create a very rough and tough female centaur? Building in such gender dimorphism isn't always a good thing, especially when you can easily get your slender female/bulky male with morphs. Better to start them both off as neutral/blank slates and let the user decide how they want it.

For morph changes to the head and body...I think those should be treated lightly. Maybe give them pointed ears to imply a more horse/elfin/magical look or add some slight musculature in the transition area from horse to human (which imagine the ab streangth they must have to keep the human half from just flopping around xD ) but make them all on seperate dials so they can be reverted to the default human shape - personally I don't want to be stuck with one look no matter how unique it is. I want to be the one to decide how monstery or human I want my character to look based on the tools given to me.

... ^^

If the Centaur is going to a hybrid of Harry and Dawn/Dusk all the morphs that work on Harry should work on the horse part, and all Dawn and Dusks morphs should work on the human part.
I do wonder though if this sort of hybrid is possible and still retain the morpability of both parts - I wonder why Daz didn't use the Daz Horse 2 but instead built a separate addon.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
If you note what Chris said yes to- that includes all the morphs and morph sets that Dawn, Dusk and Harry come with- I think one could make just about any Centaur one wanted with all of that:) I think a more blank base makes sense. I do like the idea of a possible add on Centaur "mane".

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
What we could also use is a texture option for the human half, to *match* it to the horse half. Not all mythical -- or fictional -- centaurs have an entirely different skin on each part of the body. Transitions, poo. Who needs them?

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well being a Studio user, LAMH is the most accessible option for me. But yeah smooth close-lying hair over the upper body (picking up the horse texture) thinning out around the eyes lips and nose. Maybe the forehead and cheekbones as well. Probably make a reasonable base for applying a beard for the older males as well.

Gorilla mats might work well for Poser, although that hair may be a bit longer and/or bushier than the horse coats.

I also like that idea of a conforming mane down the spine to where it joins the horse body. Not sure how to make sure that it would attach all the way -- unless one could add yet another geoshell and the mane be applied to that.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
First : so sorry that we're taking over the original thread!

Can we have a Centaur for Dawn/Dusk/Harry separate thread set up somewhere?

Hemi uploaded his Dawn/Harry morph here: Centaur for Harry & Dawn

I broke down and bought the DAZ C7 (couldn't help myself, I need all the horse things and since I got a weeks work I had some money to play with and save some for the Harry TB when he comes).
Its easy to change the textures to the other DAZ Horse 2 texture if you have them. Its also easy to convert the Mil horse texture as well. On this one I dropped a Mil Horse texture I got off of Rendo onto the white DH2 base and just tweaked the seams to match. The texture is an existing G3F texture, I love how it looks like they were meant to be but it was a total coincidence!

Now back to the regular scheduled program...err VB's LAMH thread :D

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
do we have a fluffy centaur yet VB? :p

Nope. Sidetracked yet again by another render contest... this one concerning the newly released "Skin Builder 3."
View media item 3084
My first time playing around with "Skin Builder 3." I wanted her to look delicate and fragile, but somehow she ended up becoming a vampire princess...
Maybe now I can get back to work... I have this really great centaur idea I want to render, but LAMH is being grumpy again...:tantrum:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Did you see Redz's render over in the DAZ Centaur 7 thread? He did a LAMH mane for the centaur which goes all the way down the spine. Looks great, but seems to have entailed a lot more work than just telling the plug-in where to grow hair.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Did you see Redz's render over in the DAZ Centaur 7 thread? He did a LAMH mane for the centaur which goes all the way down the spine. Looks great, but seems to have entailed a lot more work than just telling the plug-in where to grow hair.
Have to check that out!

Carey

Extraordinary
Some inspiration for VortigensBane. This is a 300 $ Turbosquid model. Why on earth models over there cost a fortune? Just because they are made in 3dsMAx, Maya, C4D? And many of them are not even rigged! I could never understood that.
Anyway, just as an inspiration, would be nice to have our new fury kitten look along these lines. I personally like it a lot!
View attachment 22339
sweet looking kitten though...

Carey

Extraordinary
But I LOVE playing Jenga!!! And if I put out something to sell, I would have to render a bunch of promo images, which would take a hundred times longer than it took me to make the preset in the first place...

All kidding aside, though, I do hope to make this available - and in the near future, too.

Not happy with the lighting in this one AT ALL, but after rendering for 14 hours and being still at 0%, it was time to cut it off...

View attachment 22256

A fantastical rendition of my digital self playing with my new digital kitten... ;)

Well, sort of.
well done indeed!

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
So I got tired of waiting for Ken's Winged Horses, and decided to give a stab at my own "fuzzy" ones. Actually, I just wanted to try out the LAMH clipping patterns that I had declared possible in another thread...
flying pony.jpg

For some reason, my LAMH mane didn't have the right number of control points (60), so it ended up looking so fake that Harry's default mane looked better. :) I was going to let this one render out more, but the volumetric light cube was taking forever.

I discovered a really easy way to make clipping maps: Load one of Harry's textures in the photo-editor. Add a new layer of pure red, then hide the red layer. Add a transparent layer, and then paint in white over the areas you want to clip. Un-hide the red layer, delete the Harry texture, export your visible layers, and then you have a finished clipping map. This one took about 5 minutes to make, but I did just use stock images for the wings.