• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

eclark1894

Visionary
Are there any good tutorials for extracting/making UV's? I have Blender, I have Hexagon, I have Free UV Mapper, but my maps always look like a tangled mess, like a kitten just got done playing with it! Chris makes such pretty UV's, but I can't afford Z-brush or programs like that at the moment.
There's a thread in the Hivewire Blender forum that may help you get better UV maps from Blender.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm no great UV expert myself, but I do know that the secret is how you place the seams. You want to try and cut it so that you can have the flattest layout possible.

I haven't done any cutting, and I think that might be part of the problem. Hexagon is supposed to do a flattening/cutting on its own, and it's not doing a good job. One thing is that it's SO TINY! So, maybe importing the obj to Blender and then following the instructions from there, might help. Thank you for the extra hint!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I haven't done any cutting, and I think that might be part of the problem. Hexagon is supposed to do a flattening/cutting on its own, and it's not doing a good job. One thing is that it's SO TINY! So, maybe importing the obj to Blender and then following the instructions from there, might help. Thank you for the extra hint!

Sorry, but that's just not the case. Hexagon will flatten, but you must cut the UV seams yourself in Hex first.

There's some good Hexagon UV tutorials on Geek at Play here:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...Traci's right you need to mark wher you want the seams. Even UVLayout requires that...the only program i know that doesnt is zbrush it will place the seams where it thinks they should go. You can change that by painting in the areas you want to attract the seams to though.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I'm no great UV expert myself, but I do know that the secret is how you place the seams. You want to try and cut it so that you can have the flattest layout possible.

I'll add to this.......the flattest layout possible with the least visible seams. For instance, you may want to cut a seam down the center front of a dress to get a nice flat layout, but you certainly do not want a seam there.

If you have ever done any sewing, I found thinking in terms of clothing pattern pieces helps a great deal. You could even go to some of the pattern web sites and look at their pattern layouts to get an idea where to place cuts.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Tons of sewing! Including noble's Renn Faire clothing and designing my own outfits and my daughter's wedding dress! lol. Okay, I can visualize that. I've looked at several Geek at Play videos and really like them, but hadn't found the one above. Will give it a look see. Thank you for the answers.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Tons of sewing! Including noble's Renn Faire clothing and designing my own outfits and my daughter's wedding dress! lol. Okay, I can visualize that. I've looked at several Geek at Play videos and really like them, but hadn't found the one above. Will give it a look see. Thank you for the answers.

You're welcome. Since you've done sewing, think of 3d modeling/UV mapping as sewing "backwards." First you assemble (model) the outfit, then you create the pattern pieces (UV map).

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Since you've done sewing, think of 3d modeling/UV mapping as sewing "backwards." First you assemble (model) the outfit, then you create the pattern pieces (UV map).
I wouldn't have thought of it that way Traci, but that's the perfect way to think of it.

My mother was a professional seamstress, so I always think of seams for clothing, as she would have when cutting pattern pieces.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I wouldn't have thought of it that way Traci, but that's the perfect way to think of it.

My mother was a professional seamstress, so I always think of seams for clothing, as she would have when cutting pattern pieces.

We "sewers" have a leg up on modelers who don't have that experience - we can model with an eye toward how we plan to cut it. I look at a piece I want to create and think, I can model it but can I UV map it? :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Probably...I always found that was my problem when learning to model. I would want to do things that I wasn't ready for. When I worked on doing the basics first and just learning to use the program I made quicker progress. I used the Geek At Play Tutorials...I'd been struggling for a while and getting nowhere and then I started using their tutorials and it started to come together. Still learning though...

CajunBeauty

Adventurous
Is that DAZ only too? I am a Poser user and am thinking that would be nice as lace gloves or stockings.
As far as I know it's Daz only. You may be able to do something in Poser, but I don't know anything about that so I can't help, sorry. Maybe someone here who knows Poser can help you. I'm still a Daz only girl.

quietrob

Extraordinary
No problems! No worries! I like both Daz and Poser Girls. I do like DAZ products for Poser. The quality is typically top notch!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
It's Daz only...I have some things I want to use it for but it requires creating a node or a geometry shell, so if I do it then it would be DS only.