• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

ImagineX

Admirable
Thank you Cajun - I have found these as well. The problem is the tool itself. I cant get it to paint anything but RED - no blue even when I bring down the intensity. After painting, if I want to change it I can't get rid of the red, it is very frustrating. I know what I need to do, I just can't get the tools to cooperate - or better yet I can't wrap my head around DS's logic. If I could weight map this in Blender I would have been done last week.

CajunBeauty

Adventurous
Thank you Cajun - I have found these as well. The problem is the tool itself. I cant get it to paint anything but RED - no blue even when I bring down the intensity. After painting, if I want to change it I can't get rid of the red, it is very frustrating. I know what I need to do, I just can't get the tools to cooperate - or better yet I can't wrap my head around DS's logic. If I could weight map this in Blender I would have been done last week.
Don't give up. I'm sure if I can't help you that someone here should be able to help you. This is an amazing dress. It would be a shame to not have it out there. There may be some other settings that need to be adjusted or maybe additional zones need to be created. I'm not really sure on all this since I have just started to want to try to do texturing for clothing and have just touched on the idea of making my own since there are ideas in my head that I would love to have for clothing on specific figures that I haven't found yet.

Another reason not to give up is you may discover later what you need to do to accomplish what you want. I still have scenes saved for later so when i learn what I need to get what I want from the render then I can finish setting it up.

I can also see some expansions that can be made to this dress that would totally rock! One of them is a V cut in the front of the dress with ruffles running down each side of the V. You can make it short and long for different looks.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
In the video on opacity the guy doing it gave some keyboard shortcuts for weightmapping that I hadn't seen before.

Hold alt down to remove red which I have used and know it works but if you hold control he was saying it does the smoothing. I've always manually changed that one...

Great videos CB!

CajunBeauty

Adventurous
In the video on opacity the guy doing it gave some keyboard shortcuts for weightmapping that I hadn't seen before.

Hold alt down to remove red which I have used and know it works but if you hold control he was saying it does the smoothing. I've always manually changed that one...

Great videos CB!
Thanks I have been digging for tutorials again lately. Wanting to get more out of Daz Studio.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That cut-out opacity one has me thinking of some ideas for characters second skin type outfits. I'm going to have to have a play with it.

Edited to add....I don't do facebook! I'm sure there are many wonderful things there but I don't go there.

CajunBeauty

Adventurous
That cut-out opacity one has me thinking of some ideas for characters second skin type outfits. I'm going to have to have a play with it.

Edited to add....I don't do facebook! I'm sure there are many wonderful things there but I don't go there.
I was suggesting that he may can get some help there with his dress.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's an interesting DS plugin. If I were using the latest version of DS, I'd probably like that, though I'm used to creating my own UV maps in Blender, or extracting them from vendor products with UV Mapper.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Interesting but I do my uv's in UV Layout these days or Zbrush can do them also...thanks for the link!

ImagineX

Admirable
Imagine X...I don't have a lot of time but would you like me to have a look? Generally the templates give a reasonable start but you need to turn on smoothing mode and do some smoothing while there are different rotations dialled in. Also try some of the different fall offs to see which one works best. I'm not an expert....but happy to have a quick look.

I am having issues with the Weight Map Brush Tool. I keep trying but can't figure out why it won't paint anything but red etc.
I would love for you to have a look at it, if you have a minute.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Are there any good tutorials for extracting/making UV's? I have Blender, I have Hexagon, I have Free UV Mapper, but my maps always look like a tangled mess, like a kitten just got done playing with it! Chris makes such pretty UV's, but I can't afford Z-brush or programs like that at the moment.