• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Amongst the files I recovered from a deceased workstation, I found the Silo build file of this elven grey ship. I've begun working on it again.
grey ship - Silo screenshot 1200.png

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Sirius's trial results in an acquittal, of course, but also in an involuntary commitment to St Mungo's for medical treatment and evaluation on whether he is sufficiently sane to be allowed out on his own.

He is not at all pleased with yet another imprisonment.
In 2011,
2011.jpg

And in 2020.
2020.jpg

Mustakettu85

Motivated
If I'm reading what you wrote correctly. I should be able to create a clone from Dawn 1 for Dawn 2 and then transfer morphs as well as clothing which I was already planning on doing if there isn't one when Dawn 2 is released.

You don't need the transfer utility to make a clone. A clone is a morph technically. The simplest (not the most accurate, of course) clone can be made right there in DS by using transforms/scales/rotations on bones of the new figure to match the shape of the old figure; then you just export the base res geometry of this new figure "kicked into shape" of the old one, and re-import it as a morph that you set up to be used as a clone.

This type of clone can fit clothing more or less okay (though in the age of dForce most conformers are obsolete by definition), but for replicating, say, face morphs with reasonable accuracy, you'd need to match the head shapes either in a modelling app, or in DS via deformers or that little mesh manip plugin (forgot the name, sorry; I'm bad at names).

You can always see if your existing clones have the right face shape if you enable displaying hidden params and simply dial them in as any other morph.

Can you use a clone that is already there? For example if I wanted to transfer Genesis 3 morphs to Genesis 8?

Yes, and backwards as well. Once you have a clone, your characters can "travel" between generations. If you have a, say, G3 clone for G8 (which everyone does), it's easy to make a G8 clone for G3 (using the Valzheimer method), and then you can go back in steps as far as the original Genesis.

If the body shape of your character deviates significantly from your new figure, you might need to mess around with rigging, but there are already scripts out there aimed at those who create custom full body morphs, and these scripts automate a lot of that.

I feel for Rob. He has a very difficult role in some respects and doesn't get the support he should from DAZ to do what is necessary iin my opinion. I too would like more documentation though.

Rob Wh. is one of the best assets that DAZ has as a 3D business. And yet most people worship various vendors but his name is virtually unknown. Shame.

I understand that, since they are giving DS away for free, they don't want to invest on it. But it's not like they couldn't afford to. It seems to me they just chose not to many years ago. Last documentation I saw was for DS3, so this is not something new. It's a choice they made.

I disagree with a lot of decisions DAZ make, but - we don't really know what they could or could not afford to. And there actually was an official manual for new users written for DS4.something several years ago. You can find it via the link below.
User Guide [Documentation Center]

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I disagree with a lot of decisions DAZ make, but - we don't really know what they could or could not afford to. And there actually was an official manual for new users written for DS4.something several years ago. You can find it via the link below.

I was referring to content creation documentation. It was rather painful for me to get started. If not for the kindness of Paul and Mec4D, I wouldn't had managed on my own, because many parts of the process are unintuitive, and could not be guessed based on past experience in other software. Just a few days ago, we were still mentioning how many of us still have no idea how to properly use the many parameters in the Transfer Utility here in this forum. We can make some guesses, and luckily get some positive results, but do you know what the parameters mean and in what circumstances they should be used? What are the best values? That is just an example.

Carey

Extraordinary
yup... only one day left of summer downunder :shineon:
Maybe I could be accused of picking on you, but life is full of punch lines, you do wonderful work, but it requires immense concentration, I know..The fun part is when we get to show it off, I like to share in that fun and to reward folks with more ten just a thumbs up. I'd love to bake you a cake, but , well, I am cheap and what I'd really like to do is put a bunch of stamps on my forehead and mail me to you....lol

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Isn't it still about 3 weeks away? :/

nope.. autumn starts tomorrow

Last day of summer today :shineon:

Maybe I could be accused of picking on you, but life is full of punch lines, you do wonderful work, but it requires immense concentration, I know..The fun part is when we get to show it off, I like to share in that fun and to reward folks with more ten just a thumbs up. I'd love to bake you a cake, but , well, I am cheap and what I'd really like to do is put a bunch of stamps on my forehead and mail me to you....lol

and talk pigeons :flower02:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
You don't need the transfer utility to make a clone. A clone is a morph technically. The simplest (not the most accurate, of course) clone can be made right there in DS by using transforms/scales/rotations on bones of the new figure to match the shape of the old figure; then you just export the base res geometry of this new figure "kicked into shape" of the old one, and re-import it as a morph that you set up to be used as a clone.

This type of clone can fit clothing more or less okay (though in the age of dForce most conformers are obsolete by definition), but for replicating, say, face morphs with reasonable accuracy, you'd need to match the head shapes either in a modelling app, or in DS via deformers or that little mesh manip plugin (forgot the name, sorry; I'm bad at names).

You can always see if your existing clones have the right face shape if you enable displaying hidden params and simply dial them in as any other morph.

Yes, and backwards as well. Once you have a clone, your characters can "travel" between generations. If you have a, say, G3 clone for G8 (which everyone does), it's easy to make a G8 clone for G3 (using the Valzheimer method), and then you can go back in steps as far as the original Genesis.

If the body shape of your character deviates significantly from your new figure, you might need to mess around with rigging, but there are already scripts out there aimed at those who create custom full body morphs, and these scripts automate a lot of that.

Rob Wh. is one of the best assets that DAZ has as a 3D business. And yet most people worship various vendors but his name is virtually unknown. Shame.

Thanks...I have created clones a long time ago. So I'm sort of familiar with the process. 3DOutlaw iirc did a tutorial for V4 and Dawn years back. Much appreciate the detailed explanation...I agree wholeheartedly about Rob. I got to know him a little when shadermixer first came out and he was one of the best sources of information along with one or two others.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Out of the blue, Professor Snape receives a letter from a Gordianus Prince, who claims to be his uncle. With the recent death of his father, Severus's grandfather, Gordianus wishes to attempt to heal the breech between their batches of the family. It was Severus's grandfather who disowned Severus's mother upon her marriage, and forbade all contact or assistance to them.

Between the lines, it is clear the part of his motivation is the fact that his eldest granddaughter is due to start Hogwarts the following year, and he does not want one of her instructors to be holding a grudge.

Severus and Charity are invited to dinner to meet the rest of the family. Among them Severus's cousin and his wife and children. The most memorable of which is the eight-year-old Marygold.

In 2011,
2011.jpg

And in 2020.
2020.jpg

Mustakettu85

Motivated
I was referring to content creation documentation. ...I wouldn't had managed on my own, because many parts of the process are unintuitive, and could not be guessed based on past experience in other software.
...Transfer Utility... We can make some guesses, and luckily get some positive results, but do you know what the parameters mean and in what circumstances they should be used? What are the best values?

I'd say the DAZ wiki does provide the necessary basics about content creation tools. But when it comes to the scripting API and the plugin SDK, now that's actually where the gaps are. Rob Wh. will often come and help out with the most cryptic bits if one asks in the respective subforums, but, well, it's impractical to count on that 24/7.

In case you missed them, there are these useful pages on transfer utility; determining the exact values is left to the user, but there may be no universal solutions at all...
Transfer Utility... [Documentation Center]
Basic Rigging with the Transfer Utility * [Documentation Center]

Now, what DAZ does not provide at all is educating the userbase on the foundations of rendering properly. The nonlinearity of our light perception, basic physics of light transfer, things like that. Realistic albedo values? Making full use of the physical camera model in Iray? No, the DS crowd has no need for that. It's so much simpler to clamp the sunsky output to 10% of its actual intensity than to actually explain stuff to people.

But then again - they likely simply do not have anyone on board who is qualified enough to explain that. Think: even their QA is currently a joke (say, the topology you can sell in the DAZ store can be literally entry-level modelling, you just need to ensure your promos are good).

Much appreciate the detailed explanation...

You're welcome!

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Elven grey ship...
grey ship - white shores ahead 1184x768.jpg

"I see white shores ahead!"
Mulberry sees the white shores.jpg

Checking the reaction of the water materials to night light conditions...
grey ship - white shores ahead - starry night.jpg

The globe on the stern spiral isn't (just) a lamp; it's a starmap, to aid the pilot in navigation.
pilot's starmap globe.jpg

I may yet make further attempts to adjust the water (the wake will be in the zip), but the grey ship is pretty well finished. It will be uploaded as a freebie to R'osity and ShareCG when finalized.

It will have dynamic sail and pennant, plus (for those averse to dynamics) both "underway" and "slack" pre-shaped versions of the sail and pennant. There is a boarding gate in the railing on each side.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
After meeting the Princes, the next thing on the agenda was for Snape to meet the Burbages, who had portkeyed from New Zealand for the wedding.

Indeed, wedding preparations seem to have taken over all of their lives by this point.

Charity's sister Hope's baby Fiona seems not to have taken with her prospective uncle. The feeling was mutual.

Hope didn't make a good impression, either.

This is a new illustration with no 2011 counterpart.
2020.jpg