• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Herc . rendered in Carrara

Hercules sketch.png

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Those really were floppy. Never needed to deal with those, but they were still around when I got started.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I even remember the bigger version that went before it and used to have a drive that work with my Atari.
Yes, I had a slew of the 5.25" disks as well. I even had a box of disks that look similar to the 3.5" Stezza modeled, but were thicker, and IIRC, held quite a bit more data on them. I needed a separate plugin drive for them, as standard desktops back then only had internal 3.5" and 5.25" drives. Geeze, it's been too long since I had to deal with those. ~shakes head~

D

Deleted member 325

Yes, I had a slew of the 5.25" disks as well. I even had a box of disks that look similar to the 3.5" Stezza modeled, but were thicker, and IIRC, held quite a bit more data on them. I needed a separate plugin drive for them, as standard desktops back then only had internal 3.5" and 5.25" drives. Geeze, it's been too long since I had to deal with those. ~shakes head~
you speak of zip disks... available in 25mb, 50mb, 100mb, and near the end 250mb capacity - made by Iomega.

Miss B

CV-BEE
you speak of zip disks... available in 25mb, 50mb, 100mb, and near the end 250mb capacity - made by Iomega.
YES!! The 250mb were the ones I had (or still have somewhere on a top shelf in a closet). I figured someone would remember those.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Removable storage. We haz it! Or, we used to.

We started out with SyQuest drives (44MB per cartridge at the start) but used Zip disks in the department once they were available. The Zip disks were pretty good, and the drives weren't bad. The Jaz drives which Iomega brought out later, and which were a bit higher capacity tended to go bad in a blink. And the drives had a tendency to turn and eat the disks. It was the older, SyQuest drives and disks that we used the longest. They were a bit more reliable, overall. Which wasn't to say the the disks didn't sometimes go bad on us. But the drives held up longer. Not so high a capacity though. Iomega buried them eventually.

The last ones on the ground that I recall were the ORB drives and disks. They were really quite good, made by the people who had been with SyQuest. But they were too late into the field and the market dried up before they ever got much of a toehold.

There were probably others as well. But by the middle '00s small USB hard drives were cheaper, higher-capacity and easier to haul around.

It really was USB which put the removable storage options out of use. I'm pretty sure the SyQuest, Zip and Jam drives were all SCSI devices (no longer sure about the ORBs, but SyQuest definitely) and you were really limited by how many SCSI devices you could run in the chain. USB was practically unlimited in that regard.

Last edited:

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I taught my bro in law how to use WordPerfect and I didn't even have it.... lol

those were the days ... eeeek! seems like only yesterday.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I "wish" it was only yesterday. Well, to clarify that, I wish I was 30 years younger, as I was back then. ~sigh~