I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Discussion in 'It's About the Art!' started by Stezza, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Stezza

Stezza Extraordinary

Herc . rendered in Carrara

Hercules sketch.png

2. Stezza

Stezza Extraordinary

Did this one for the latest Carrara Challenge over yonder..

Used Comic Life 3 for the comic look... obviously lol

[​IMG]

Carey, Hornet3d, Janet and 2 others like this.
  3. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Oh that's a winner if I ever saw one Stezza. :D

Stezza likes this.
  4. Stezza

Stezza Extraordinary

did another entry this arvo.. all modeled & textured in Carrara :flower02:
    the floppy disc started off as a cube then I booleaned it eight times then duplicated it! lol

[​IMG]

Carey, Janet, Rae134 and 2 others like this.
  5. Miss B

Hmmmm, not sure I would've thought to create them that way. I like. :)

6. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

That last one sure brings back memories!

7. Miss B

Doesn't it? ;)

8. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Shhh! People will figure out how old I am...

9. Miss B

~whispers~ You and me both. ;)

10. Hornet3d

Hornet3d Distinguished

I even remember the bigger version that went before it and used to have a drive that work with my Atari.

11. JOdel

JOdel Extraordinary HW Honey Bear

Those really were floppy. Never needed to deal with those, but they were still around when I got started.

12. Miss B

Yes, I had a slew of the 5.25" disks as well. I even had a box of disks that look similar to the 3.5" Stezza modeled, but were thicker, and IIRC, held quite a bit more data on them. I needed a separate plugin drive for them, as standard desktops back then only had internal 3.5" and 5.25" drives. Geeze, it's been too long since I had to deal with those. ~shakes head~

13. KageRyu

KageRyu Rabid Art Monkey Contributing Artist

you speak of zip disks... available in 25mb, 50mb, 100mb, and near the end 250mb capacity - made by Iomega.

14. robert952

robert952 Eager

LOL... I found about 300 on a back shelf near my PC. Surprising, they still go for about $1 each on ebay and amazon.

15. Miss B

YES!! The 250mb were the ones I had (or still have somewhere on a top shelf in a closet). I figured someone would remember those.

16. Stezza

Stezza Extraordinary

I have my MSOffice 10 x 3.5" discs somewhere... o_O

had to add a few more models I did.. the 5.25" floppy and a cassette tape with the dreaded tape tangle ;) :flower02:

[​IMG]

Carey, Rae134, VortigensBane and 2 others like this.
  17. JOdel

JOdel Extraordinary HW Honey Bear

Removable storage. We haz it! Or, we used to.

We started out with SyQuest drives (44MB per cartridge at the start) but used Zip disks in the department once they were available. The Zip disks were pretty good, and the drives weren't bad. The Jaz drives which Iomega brought out later, and which were a bit higher capacity tended to go bad in a blink. And the drives had a tendency to turn and eat the disks. It was the older, SyQuest drives and disks that we used the longest. They were a bit more reliable, overall. Which wasn't to say the the disks didn't sometimes go bad on us. But the drives held up longer. Not so high a capacity though. Iomega buried them eventually.

The last ones on the ground that I recall were the ORB drives and disks. They were really quite good, made by the people who had been with SyQuest. But they were too late into the field and the market dried up before they ever got much of a toehold.

There were probably others as well. But by the middle '00s small USB hard drives were cheaper, higher-capacity and easier to haul around.

It really was USB which put the removable storage options out of use. I'm pretty sure the SyQuest, Zip and Jam drives were all SCSI devices (no longer sure about the ORBs, but SyQuest definitely) and you were really limited by how many SCSI devices you could run in the chain. USB was practically unlimited in that regard.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Stezza likes this.
  18. Miss B

~ROFL~ I'm sure I still have my WordPerfect, and Lotus 123, for DOS somewhere.

Stezza likes this.
  19. Stezza

Stezza Extraordinary

I taught my bro in law how to use WordPerfect and I didn't even have it.... lol

those were the days ... eeeek! seems like only yesterday.

20. Miss B

I "wish" it was only yesterday. Well, to clarify that, I wish I was 30 years younger, as I was back then. ~sigh~