• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
You can actually do a lot with the Poser 11 construct. I'd love to see more options for it actually, because it already has some built in morphs so you can make terrain.

Zaarin

Brilliant
Oh OK. I haven't tried the Construct at all since getting PP11, so I'm going to have to take a look at it.
I'd use BB's environment sphere for exterior shots, but the construct is great for portrait/studio type renders. (Where is Bagginsbill posting these days? He used to hang out at RDNA, but now that that's down I don't know where to find him and his font of node-based wisdom. :( )

eclark1894

Visionary
I'd use BB's environment sphere for exterior shots, but the construct is great for portrait/studio type renders. (Where is Bagginsbill posting these days? He used to hang out at RDNA, but now that that's down I don't know where to find him and his font of node-based wisdom. :( )
I usually see him posting at the Smithicro forums.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've also seen him here now and then, and I think he "may" also hang out at CGBytes, but I can't confirm that as I've never been on their forum.

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's good to know, as I wasn't sure whether BB's EnvSphere was good for portrait renders.

what's the Poser 11 construct and where would you find it?
Actually, even though others have said it's in the Poser preview window when you open a scene by default, I found my PP11 only loads the Ground plane that older versions have always had.

Pen you can find the Construct in the Props > Primitives folder, and as Earl mentioned it's a half dome, or dome and ground in one piece, and it can be morphed, or at least the ground portion can.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Aah...so it's the background that loads with Poser...sorry didn't have a clue what that was called. Thanks Miss B and Earl...

Zaarin

Brilliant
I usually see him posting at the Smithicro forums.
Odd, I was just checking that out yesterday for the first time and didn't see any posts by him. I'll check again.

That's good to know, as I wasn't sure whether BB's EnvSphere was good for portrait renders.
Oh, the EnvSphere is good for portraits too if you use a portrait studio HDRI (one of my favorite techniques) or interior HDRI. Both look gorgeous in eye reflections. But if you want to use mesh lights or Poser lights, the Construct works nicely for that. In Superfly, I've noticed a trend that HDRI is faster than Poser lights, and Poser lights are faster than mesh lights (which is odd because HDRI is technically a mesh light). If you really want to kill render times but increase realism, attach a "Blackbody" node to your Poser light. :D

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hey Zaarin, I think BB only posts in a couple of the threads at the SM Poser forum. You might find him in the SuperFly renders thread. I'm sure I've seen some posts by him, though certainly not on a daily basis.

As for his EnvSphere, I assume by studio HDRi, you're referring to the ones that come with Poser. In fact, I used one when rendering my first successful Superfly render of Dawn, though I hadn't used either the EnvShere or the Construct, but a prop with a texture on it. I don't recall how far back in this thread it is, but it's here somewhere.

I need to play with the EnvSphere and Construct to see if I get better results.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Aah...so it's the background that loads with Poser...sorry didn't have a clue what that was called. Thanks Miss B and Earl...

Don't worry, you're far from the only one. I don't know how long I used the PP11 before I realized that there was a thing that was call Construct and it could do more than the traditional ground plane. Possibly in part because when it loads in, it's called GROUND. It's kind of one of those hidden gems in Poser. It's called the Construct both in the Props folder, and if you got to the Materials folder you should also find that sand and sky material as well as a white and black one.

The cool thing is I took a couple of image maps I had from other sets, one for the ground, one for the sky, added them to the construct, played with the morph dials a little, and got this:

Which isn't bad for a couple minutes work.

Miss B

CV-BEE
That looks good GG. I wonder if you can do that, make the ground invisible and use one of Flink's ground products. Hmmmm, may have to try that out and see if it works with the background, or if it too becomes invisible.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I'm sure Earl. What I was wondering was, can I get the "Ground" to be invisible, and still have the "Background" available for attaching a panoramic image. I haven't tired that yet, and I suspect it might not be possible.

I'll let you know if I succeed later.

Zaarin

Brilliant
Hey Zaarin, I think BB only posts in a couple of the threads at the SM Poser forum. You might find him in the SuperFly renders thread. I'm sure I've seen some posts by him, though certainly not on a daily basis.

As for his EnvSphere, I assume by studio HDRi, you're referring to the ones that come with Poser. In fact, I used one when rendering my first successful Superfly render of Dawn, though I hadn't used either the EnvShere or the Construct, but a prop with a texture on it. I don't recall how far back in this thread it is, but it's here somewhere.

I need to play with the EnvSphere and Construct to see if I get better results.
I...actually didn't know Poser came with any HDRI. But there are a lot of great free ones at HDRLabs. If it's going to be visible, there are times it might be advantageous to use the "background" images instead of the HDRI just because the resolution is higher, but if you have some sort of building or something behind the figure definitely use the *.hdr file.

You should be able to just delete the Construct, Miss B. Or at the very least make it all invisible.
Ctrl+G makes the ground (including the P11 Construct) invisible.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I...actually didn't know Poser came with any HDRI. But there are a lot of great free ones at HDRLabs.
That's exactly where I picked a few. I think Poser only comes with HDRi lights, not the panoramic images to put on the background of the Construct.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ctrl+G makes the ground (including the P11 Construct) invisible.
That's what I suspected. I suppose I could load up one of Flink's ground planes over the ground of the Construct so it doesn't get in the way.

Zaarin

Brilliant
That's exactly where I picked a few. I think Poser only comes with HDRi lights, not the panoramic images to put on the background of the Construct.
Yeah, I found them and I think they're light probes--not very useful in Superfly, which doesn't accept IBL (logically enough, since IBL isn't a physical kind of light). I drool over some of the beautiful HDRI sets over at DAZ, but I have a hard time justifying buying them to myself when I have free ones that work and other content I want to buy.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Ok if you load the construct from the props primitives folder...then go to materials and make the ground invisible add you sky or whatever...it works...

test-construct.png