• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Rokket

Dances with Bees
bodysuit.png

I got to tinkering with this body suit that I made for Miki a long while back. I wanted to create a couple different texture zones, but the darn suit is pretty poly heavy. So I came up with an alternate plan: create a couple masks and see if I can do it all in the materials room.
This is my solution... This is a Superfly shader. I don't know if it will work in Firefly. I guess it would, but it would look different, and would need a couple extra nodes to get the same effect.
Node setup.png

And I found out that the masks are pretty handy too. You can do some pretty neat stuff with them:

bodysuit2.png

Rokket

Dances with Bees
bodysuit update.png
shader update.png

This is the shader for the bodysuit now. I think I am done tinkering with it. I had to model the skirt and belt. Boots are next, and then I will attempt a cape. I suck at capes, but I had a brainstorm and I think I know how to model one that will work...

Rokket

Dances with Bees
That is stunning.
Thank you! I am proud of it.

supergirl.jpg

I need to make her a proper pair of boots. I made these for a Jesse Quick costume awhile back. They don't fit right because they were made to go over her bodysuit. I just needed something in the meantime...

Click on the pic. It's 1920x1440.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You are definitely on a roll Rokket. Are you going to make the skirt and cape dynamic? That may be the easiest way to get them to flow nicely.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
You are definitely on a roll Rokket. Are you going to make the skirt and cape dynamic? That may be the easiest way to get them to flow nicely.
They are dynamic. The whole outfit is dynamic. I tried to rig the bodysuit, but it's old, made back before I understood topology and edge flow, so it didn't play nice with the rig. I made a better cape. I am running a render right now and will post it when it's done.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I wonder what the WB Supergirl tv show would think about this suit? I mean, they are not sticking to canon at all with their outfits. I bet this would look great on screen.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I was asked at the SM forum why I chose to use all those math nodes in my shader when the Blender node would have accomplished the same thing with fewer nodes. So I gave it a shot. I imported two of the bodysuits into Poser and applied my shader on the right side, and the shader using Blender nodes instead of math on the left.

Think I made my case.

comparison.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
I was asked at the SM forum why I chose to use all those math nodes in my shader when the Blender node would have accomplished the same thing with fewer nodes. So I gave it a shot. I imported two of the bodysuits into Poser and applied my shader on the right side, and the shader using Blender nodes instead of math on the left.

Think I made my case.

View attachment 41641

I am no expert but on the comparison here I would agree you have made you case.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hmmmm, well as much a I like the one on the right, the one on the left doesn't look bad at all, so I guess how much you want the design to stand out, would be the deciding factor.

Nicely done in both cases. ;)

Rokket

Dances with Bees
It's all in the hues. The one on the left has a purplish hue to it. The one on the right has a metallic look to the lighter blue. I could tone that down on the right if I wanted to. But the blender node is causing the purple tint on the left.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, though I haven't gotten really good in putting together shaders in either Blender or Poser. I'm only half way decent at tweaking one someone else created. ;)