• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Dakorillon (IMArts) Cool! This reminds me of the renders I used to make with VistaPro. It's funny it used to take hours to render back in the day, but now it renders almost in real-time in nowadays computers! It's an antique, but I still like what it can do. ^__^

Image.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
@Dakorillon (IMArts) Cool! This reminds me of the renders I used to make with VistaPro. It's funny it used to take hours to render back in the day, but now it renders almost in real-time in nowadays computers! It's an antique, but I still like what it can do. ^__^

View attachment 40586

That looks great.

As someone that did an apprenticeship in telecommunications almost fifty years ago, just before the computers started to take a foothold in telecommunications, I have sort of grown up with it. Despite that I am still left in awe with what we can do to do with the computers we have, not only is the fact that much is in real time but also what is possible. The idea that video games have moved from two paddles either side of the screen and a square ball bouncing between to what is possible now is mind blowing. That said, your picture shows that a lot was still possible with what was available, providing you had the skills and the patience to wait.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That looks great. The idea that video games have moved from two paddles either side of the screen and a square ball bouncing between to what is possible now is mind blowing. That said, your picture shows that a lot was still possible with what was available, providing you had the skills and the patience to wait.

Indeed, Vista Pro started in the Amiga, before PCs and Windows existed, and is the precursor of nowadays Terragen and E-on Vue. What's even cooler is that it was entirely procedural, and has parametric designer panels to create clouds, terrains, rivers, lakes and oceans. It used heuristics to place the proper kind of trees at specific altitudes, water bodies and snow in the mountains, and allows us to configure these to our personal liking. It also allows individual placement of trees, houses and roads with the mouse. It has a terrain editor, and supports USGS DEM geological survey maps to recreate existing places with minimum effort. These USGS maps are freely available from the internet.

These features stand strong even with nowadays terrain generators, except that Vista Pro is only 1Mb executable. Even some modern fractal terrain generators of nowadays still suffer from flickering when animated, but Vista Pro could make flicker-free terrain animations almost 40 years ago! LOL

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Don't think I've heard of VistaPro before, but I do have Terragen, and have on occasion created terrains inTerragen, and successfully exported them for use in Bryce.

The odd thing is, when I searched for their site just now, what I only found was lighting. I didn't see anything about terrain generating software. Do they not do that anymore?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Don't think I've heard of VistaPro before, but I do have Terragen, and have on occasion created terrains inTerragen, and successfully exported them for use in Bryce.
The odd thing is, when I searched for their site just now, what I only found was lighting. I didn't see anything about terrain generating software. Do they not do that anymore?

Vista Pro is from a distant time in the past (1980s), so it's understandable if people hasn't heard of it nowadays. It was originally released for the Amiga, which pre-dates personal computers. It later had versions released for Windows, and Macintosh. As far as I know, it was last heard of in 2005. Since then it has disappeared and was never seen again. The first version I bought was running on DOS, before Windows existed. Version 4 was the first to run on Windows, but also the last one to be released. I am surprised it works well in Windows 10 x64, since it's so old it can only handle 256 colors.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, I knew where to get Terragen Dak, it was the site to purchase VistaPro that I couldn't find, because the only search results I was getting were for a site that offers lighting for 3D, not a terrain generator.

Now that I know that isn't available anymore, I'll stop looking.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Oh, I knew where to get Terragen Dak, it was the site to purchase VistaPro that I couldn't find, because the only search results I was getting were for a site that offers lighting for 3D, not a terrain generator.

Now that I know that isn't available anymore, I'll stop looking.
Sorry! I misunderstood! I'm sorry you can't get the other program anymore, I know how frustrating that can be.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Hawkgirl.jpg

So... I took this one back to the drawing board. I wanted to make her costume as close to the original as possible. The only things I kept from my first costume are the mace and the helmet, but I redid the textures on the the helmet to match her comic book costume.

D

Deleted member 325

Well, I mostly finished this. A starship heavily inspired by, and a bit of an homage to, the Rebel Assault Frigate from SWRPG. I still need to finish grouping and parenting items and a few pieces are giving me issues (they want to rescale or move once parented which I need to overcome) then I can use this in the scenes I am planning for a Space battle.

D

Deleted member 325

I should mention, I didn't model any of that, it's all kitbashed from Davorama's old FVCS, GVCS, and other Construction kits of his. Lots of legacy content.