• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
I love @Hornet3d's Sci-fi/space images so I thought I'd break out and try my own.
G3F was naughty so Dawn's arrested her :p
View attachment 33620

Lighting is pretty much from their suits with just a couple of emissive's and a spot

I love that, a real mix with the lighting but it works the scene itself looks decidedly dark implying a underground corridor or the like, while the suits gives the figures real punch. You should break out more often:).

Hornet3d

Wise
Well sort of back on track after going walkabout in my aim to get a Superfly setup I like, at the moment it is two steps forward and one step back, or maybe even one step forward and two back. Anyway, state of play :-

SF Try 4 HW.jpg

Eyes are a little better in that they have less of some strange looking shadows but are now a little too pink reflections I am happy with. Teeth are slightly improved as I am not looking for photoshopped celebrity ultra white. I am finally beginning to get some detail in the skin which seems much more difficult in Superfly. My render a few days ago looked quite good until I compared it with a Firefly render and the loss of detail is quite marked. Oh well another day another few tweeks.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
The Flash Roadtrip.jpg

I am going to render this one larger so I can make a better scene out of it. This is completely post worked. I rendered M4 only, with the 2nd skin texture. The wings on his ears were modeled by me. I got the boots off Share CG a million years ago, but I've never used them until now.

Soooo... the background is a pic off Google, the motion blur and lightning effects were done in GIMP.

Hornet3d

Wise
Getting close to photo realism, though...

Thanks, it is probably as close as I will get, or even want to. Due to the fact that most of my renders are sci-fi or fantasy based no one is ever going to mistrake anything I produce as a photograph and my aim is always believable rather the photorealistic. If I am honest I still prefer the firefly renders but I want to be able to use the option of Superfly with scenes as there are clearly some things it does far better than Firefly. Trouble is I do not want to give up all of the detail I have in Firefly for the improvements in Superfly. My initial feelings with Superfly I would not use it much but I am reaching the point where I am happy enough to see it as an regular option but not as a replacement for Firefly. I am not complaining or trying to do Poser down when I say this because Superfly has a great deal going for it but my intention is to use it where I think the renders will benefit the most. This is no different than what I already do with Vue, my landscape scenes are always rendered in Vue because it is hands over fist better than Poser. So no complaints, just recognising horses for courses.

Hornet3d

Wise
View attachment 33642
I am going to render this one larger so I can make a better scene out of it. This is completely post worked. I rendered M4 only, with the 2nd skin texture. The wings on his ears were modeled by me. I got the boots off Share CG a million years ago, but I've never used them until now.

Soooo... the background is a pic off Google, the motion blur and lightning effects were done in GIMP.

I really like this one and particularly the effects. One of the reasons I am a fan of post work is that renders can be changed a great deal and often easier and with more control than is possible in Poser. I guess the same is true for DS but I can't say that with and certainty.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
To each his own has always been my thing. I have never said anything to anyone regarding which software they use. I tried both of them. I have the latest DS version on my laptop, but I don't use it. It's a steep learning curve after being with Poser for so long...

And @quietrob can tell you, I was pretty anti-DAZ for quite awhile. But I've softened my viees.

Hornet3d

Wise
To each his own has always been my thing. I have never said anything to anyone regarding which software they use. I tried both of them. I have the latest DS version on my laptop, but I don't use it. It's a steep learning curve after being with Poser for so long...

And @quietrob can tell you, I was pretty anti-DAZ for quite awhile. But I've softened my viees.

I am with you on that one, I like to see what others are doing with different software and each to their own, it may just be personal preference or related to the type of art they create but the choice is theirs. I started with Daz and for a while around Poser 5/6 I used both and finally settled on Poser, just how it worked out for me.

Effects wise, I tend to use Paint Shop Pro but then I have been using that since the days when Jasc owned it therefore I know how it works quite well (and I can't afford Photoshop). More recently I have used the ParticleShop plugin for effects. Not as familiar with that so I have only scratched the surface but it looks powerful.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I could never afford Photoshop either, so I went with GIMP. I can do a lot of the same things as Photoshop and it's FREE. That's my favorite price!

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I redid the Flash run, but I got the motion blur aspect wrong, so I am going to redo it and post it later. I also fixed the 2nd skin texture so he isn't wearing big yellow gloves. Stay tuned.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thanks, it is probably as close as I will get, or even want to. Due to the fact that most of my renders are sci-fi or fantasy based no one is ever going to mistrake anything I produce as a photograph and my aim is always believable rather the photorealistic. If I am honest I still prefer the firefly renders but I want to be able to use the option of Superfly with scenes as there are clearly some things it does far better than Firefly. Trouble is I do not want to give up all of the detail I have in Firefly for the improvements in Superfly. My initial feelings with Superfly I would not use it much but I am reaching the point where I am happy enough to see it as an regular option but not as a replacement for Firefly. I am not complaining or trying to do Poser down when I say this because Superfly has a great deal going for it but my intention is to use it where I think the renders will benefit the most. This is no different than what I already do with Vue, my landscape scenes are always rendered in Vue because it is hands over fist better than Poser. So no complaints, just recognising horses for courses.

It's actually quite good, Hornet! I really like what you are doing with Superfly.

Now, if you want a bit more detail in the skin, your best approach is through normal maps. Superfly does bump maps, but displacement is not rendered well unless you have very high polygon meshes. I can do Normal maps in Photoshop with the Nvidia filter, but I'm not sure how easy they are to do with PSP. (Just read online that the Nvida normal map tools NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop work in PSP up to version 8, but not after that. Link provided just in case you are using PSP 8 or lower.

Hornet3d

Wise
It's actually quite good, Hornet! I really like what you are doing with Superfly.

Now, if you want a bit more detail in the skin, your best approach is through normal maps. Superfly does bump maps, but displacement is not rendered well unless you have very high polygon meshes. I can do Normal maps in Photoshop with the Nvidia filter, but I'm not sure how easy they are to do with PSP. (Just read online that the Nvida normal map tools NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop work in PSP up to version 8, but not after that. Link provided just in case you are using PSP 8 or lower.

Thank you for the link, I am using PSP 2018 which is the latest but I think I have a working copy of PSP 8 on one of my other machines so I will see if I can find it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have to agree with Hornet. I like this second render better Rokket, as now he's the center action of the scene. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
This is my first, for want of a better word, 'creative' render using Firefly as up until now I have just been seeing what I can achieve by just a mixture of blundering and trial and error.

Aslan Scene HW.jpg

From my point of view it is ok as long as I dont compare it with a Firefly render. From my brief tests, for me at least, Firefly is great on most materials but skin is not one of them, not without either a lot of playing or starting from scratch with a very detailed knowledge of Superfl. Either method will take me a lot of time so although Superfly is regarded as close to real and Firefly is a fake method, I prefer the fake, but then that may be just what I have gotten used to.

Hornet3d

Wise
So here is the Firefly comparison.

Aslan Scene FF HW.jpg

I was not trying to make this scientific so the figure is not exactly the same as far as the expression is concerned and there is no jewelry. What I have done is deleted the SF version of the figure and imported a FF version into the same scene. The lights are identical except the intensity is reduced by around 20% in the FF render. To my eyes the eyes and lips are more natural and the skin features a lot crisper.

Render time are 5 hours 20 minutes for Superfly with branch path tracing unticked in progressive ticked, samples set at 45 so it could have been stopped sometime sooner with little loss of detail.

Render time for Firefly 42 minutes (but there was no jewels) and the dimension was 2500 X 1730 in both cases.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Got the newly released IBL Master from the DAZ 3D store. DANG, this is amazing. This is a 3Delight render. Looks like an iRAY render. It does work with iRAY as well. Funnily I had a dream one night last week thinking in my sleep I guess that there MUST be a way to get the best of both worlds with either rendering engine and then this is released. Quite impressive.

Tina wearing my unreleased SuperSuit .... some HDR background that's basically lighting the scene. This was possible using the dome lighting for 3DL but it was always iffy and time consuming to get things just so. This just works with very little work.

On the ground and running.jpg