• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I am SO glad you're back!

Rokket

Dances with Bees
The body and head look closer to Kal El than ol' Tyler did. There are still issues with the body parts intersecting due to the morphs, I think all figures do that. I don't have a spit curl hairdo for him either. The closest thing I have is one of James' hair props. So far I have only modeled the suit itself. I put a texture with the emblem on it, but I can't seem to get that right, and when I put displacement on it, it gets funky.

But it's coming along.

Yeah, Miss B, Rocky Mountain Oysters are probably exactly what you think they are. And I wouldn't put anything like that in my mouth!

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I haven't seen the latest Superman reboot. The last I saw was the New 52, which didn't impress me much.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
If I was going to do a different version of this suit, It would NOT be this one... Tyler Hoechlin's suit is horrific and looks like they didn't spend any time trying to make it look good at all...

MOS never.jpg

It looks like something you would make for a Halloween costume on a budget. Sorry to be mean if someone actually likes this suit.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I mean, I understand... tv budget vs a major movie studio and all. But Supergirl's suit looks pretty good. So why not take the same care and time to create this superman suit?

Terre

Renowned
I'm not going to ask. I'm REALLY not going to ask. I THINK I can figure it out without asking. :eek:
:rofl:
You, mam, are smarter than the average bear. The young lady in question just assumed that somehow someone had oyster beds up in the Rockies.
Someone around here does eat them though. Our meat market sells them under another common name. One which is a bit more erm.... descriptive of their origin. It's still a polite euphemism though.

Terre

Renowned
I mean, I understand... tv budget vs a major movie studio and all. But Supergirl's suit looks pretty good. So why not take the same care and time to create this superman suit?
Given your past work I think yours will look much better than that photo does.

McGyver

Energetic
I'm not sure Supergirl's outfit would fit him that well... The skirt could have a nice kilt effect though.
When I designed my wife's Dilemma Girl costume (she was a superhero), I avoided that big budget Hollywood look...
They use all those fancy materials and careful stitching and have a complete lack of duct tape.
I decided to go for the rarely used pajama and beach towel cape look.
Until she got bored with being a superhero, about fifteen or twenty minutes after I finished the costume, everyone agreed the bad guys would never expect an outfit like that to be worn by a superhero.
While I think those fancy outfits are great, if you really want to surprise your evil nemeses, I think one should avoid the traditional superhero look.
First thing I have to say... Dressing up in a fancy costume is expected..
Two, if you have ever been on a subway and someone in a fancy Ratman or Amazing Roach Man (granted those were 80s NYC superheroes) shows up, the first thing you think, no matter how much cool spandex and glittery Lycra they are wearing, the first thing you think is "crazier than a barrel of rabid wombats"...
Even if a giant mutant subterranean mole monster is attacking the train and that guy shows up and starts fighting it, you are gonna be like, "Great... Why is he wearing his glitter-thong on the outside of his outfit?"
80s New York could get fabulous at times...
But my point was, no matter how high quality the outfit...
Actually I forgot what my point was.
Something about why one should wear a glitter-thong on the outside if they want to avoid the uncomfortable Mylar glitter bits scratching up their bottom...?
No...?
Egh...
It was the 80s and who knew taking apart an industrial microwave oven could give one unpredictable electron manipulation powers...
Well, I should probably stop writing... I'm not contributing anything useful to this conversation, as I don't know a lot about superheroes beyond maybe Ratman, Roach Man and that super annoying Electron Man.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
:rofl:
You, mam, are smarter than the average bear. The young lady in question just assumed that somehow someone had oyster beds up in the Rockies.
Someone around here does eat them though. Our meat market sells them under another common name. One which is a bit more erm.... descriptive of their origin. It's still a polite euphemism though.
:lol:

quietrob

Extraordinary
If I was going to do a different version of this suit, It would NOT be this one... Tyler Hoechlin's suit is horrific and looks like they didn't spend any time trying to make it look good at all...

View attachment 27446

It looks like something you would make for a Halloween costume on a budget. Sorry to be mean if someone actually likes this suit.
That's not the best picture of the Superman outfit (from the series Supergirl for those who don't know) that I've ever seen. It looks much better on him during the show. However, clearly Henry Cavill's and the New 52 both have superior outfits. One is due to the production values and the fact that Henry Cavill is incredibly buff. I mean like Super Hero Buff. The outfit even enhanced benefits from his muscles. If Tyler Hoechlin worked out like Henry Cavill, he might look a little better wearing the supersuit. It also might help if he were taller. Superman is supposed to be this imposing figure for peace. "Six foot three/six foot four," he said when interviewed by Lois.

I remember seeing an interview with the late Christopher Reeves. He said, the first two movies he worked out so he could become buff. The next two (three?) movies he said, "I let the suit do the work." With respect to Christopher, I think Henry has the right idea. No body double for that guy and the suit looks incredible. You will be doing to Christopher's way but it translate better in 3d. Just look at the Zod vs Superman battle and you can see it for yourself.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
My point exactly Rob. But even if you don't have a superhero physique, the suit can still look great. Yeah, I've watched him on the show. I was not impressed when he debuted the suit. If they were going to do that, they should have followed the New 52. I don't think they could afford Henry's suit.

quietrob

Extraordinary
The Supergirl outfit is a hybrid as well. It lacks the gold trim of the comic book Supergal. I suppose they can do as they please. The Henry Cavill suit lacks the Yellow S on the cape. Back in the day, there was actually in issue where there was a Superman imposter. The only way you knew it was an imposter was the S was red and not yellow. As I read Astro City, they go over the different uniform/costume designs and every detail counts. Like your using gold in Hawkgirl boots to form talons. It's a small detail but adds much to the coolness.

They couldn't afford Henry's suit? They cut Cat Grant's (Played admirably by Calista Flockheart) appearences. But I suppose it wasn't enough to pay for the rights to use Superman AND get the suit as well.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I know the the various television versions of the DCEU will be doing crossovers. Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and The Inhumans will all be crossing over. But they won't make it to the big screen, which is why they don't have Henry Cavill and his awesome suit make cameos on the tv show.

Marvel, however, has hinted big time that the small screen heroes will more than likely make it to the big screen. Agents of Shield started out in Iron Man with the appearance of Agent Colson. And there is talk of bringing in Dare Devil and the Defenders in for Infinity Wars. We'll see...

The new MOS suit looks so cool in Superfly. I still have to model all that piping, but the cuffs and belt are done. I found a way to use displacement that actually works for the emblem.

quietrob

Extraordinary
The Inhumans!

The Inhumans were the formerly best kept secret story of the Marvel Universe. Most haven't heard of them but they are a true collection of badasses that only suffered because when they were introduced, Marvel wasn't DC and hadn't the exposure of DC heroes. By contrast Superman and Batman have been around on TV and the movies since the 1940's. Like the Silver Surfer, they are a hidden gem. I can't wait!

Ahem. I believe we were told there would be renders of WIP. I can't speak for others but I love seeing work in progress. Man, the Blender interface takes some getting used to. I thought Hexagon had roughed me up. I had no idea. It makes me wanna take the leap to ZBrush right away.

Last edited:

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Yeah, I suppose it is. But since I am calling it the MOS suit, I would say the original suit from the first movie with Henry Cavill as Superman.

quietrob

Extraordinary
You know, looking at the Tyler Hoechlin version of the Supersuit, reminds me of yours but without your Firefly materials as mesh armor. Mesh Armor makes sense if you are Big Blue.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I just took another look at Tyler Hoechlin's suit. I am still not too big on it. He is actually pretty jacked. He was on Teen Wolf before, and he has the physique to pull it off. It's just a poorly made suit. I have a feeling it wasn't planned in the beginning to have Superman be on the show, as they wanted it to empower women. When the story line lead to it, his casting and the suit were kind of rushed. They did CGI Superman flying away, or seen at a distance or as a blur until they could cast him.

It was a build up that was mostly a let down for me. I was hoping to see something akin to the Henry Cavill suit, not this.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
The suit lacks the muscle suit under it. It's not made as skin tight as the MOS suit, and it does look like a stripped down version of the MOS suit.