• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I am SO glad you're back!

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Welcome back to Cyberspace, Rokket!

Surprisingly good readers come unstuck with the comprehension side of things.

This was me to a some extent. I remember reading Ben Hur at 10 years of age and being slightly befuddled. But loving it all the same.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Don't think I ever read Ben Hur. Saw the movie with Charlton Heston, but probably didn't know it was based on a book.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I have been without internet for the last several days. Even now it's touch and go. I will be back in port soon, though. I hope I can get a WIFI signal somewhere...

It's about time! I was sad without seeing that icon of yours popping up here and there. I don't know who broke your internet but tell 'em to knock it off! :D

Welcome back, rokket!

Rokket

Dances with Bees
The sad fact is, I know more about computers and LAN admin than those turkeys, but I am not allowed to touch it...

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I am in Hawaii now, but stuck on the ship with duty.

Ha! I just remembered that line from Wreck-it Ralph: "It's my duty."

"Hehehehehee!"

"Not that kind of duty!"

I will be able to go ashore tomorrow afternoon. We are 3 hours behind the West coast time-wise, so I will be on here around 3PM PDT... or whatever...

Terre

Renowned
Yup.
Some of those movies actually were well done even though they weren't the same story. The Black Stallion, Lord of the Rings, for instance. In both cases I'd have preferred movies that actually were the stories that were written.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hmmmm, I thought they did a fairly decent job of LoTR, but no book to movie translation is 100%. It's when a book by a top author is totally changed when filmed that pisses me off. I found that when a friend told me to read a Tom Clancy book when I had already seen the movie. Whole sections of the book were left out.

Of course, taking a nice sized book and fitting the story into approximately 90-120 minutes isn't easy.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I thought they did a fairly decent job of LoTR,

WHAT!!!!! They turned Glorfindel into a GIRL! They made Gimli a joke! They added a whole pile of stuff that never happened! Don't get me started. My son told me on no account should I go watch these at the movie theatre cos I would be screaming at the screen the whole way through. He knows his mum very well. And what annoys me the most is it was a KIWI! who did them. A KIWI who ruined my favourite books of all time. I'll never forgive him for that, never.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Those movies were too long and too contrived. I read the books, and I saw the movies. I don't know why they titled them the same; the stories were completely different...

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I liked the movies ... especially Gimli. What can I say? I've become so much easier to please in my old age :wink:

They are a different telling of the story than what is told in the books. No doubt about that. But then, no movie can ever capture what you created in your head as you read so most books to movies are disappointing. I remember being rather livid over the results of some books being made into movies. Not that I can even remember what books or movies those were anymore! Maybe if I think awhile, I can remember the movies that angered me the most. I seem to recall It was one. Though it was also rather terrifying both as a book and a movie. Oh, I know. I was incredibly disappointed in the Wizard of Oz. They changed everything, and left us believing Dorothy dreamed it all. She hadn't! There really, REALLY is an Oz.

But ... I digress.

The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings were literary adaptations by Tolkien of the Red Book of Westmarch manuscripts. These manuscripts included material Bilbo translated from Elvish Lore as well as Bilbo's memoirs. Bilbo expanded his memoirs to include the adventures of Frodo, but it was left to first Frodo and then Samwise to complete the manuscripts. The original Red Book of Westmarch manuscripts were lost ... fortunately, not before several copies had been made. The first copy went to Gondor where it became the Thain's Book and was annotated, corrected, and expanded by the dwarves. Some decades later, a copy of a revised and expanded Thain's Book was delivered to the Shire and kept in Great Smials. That version is what Tolkien translated to English ... though I'm sure it underwent quite a few changes to become more appealing to his audience.

Sooo ... when you think of the movie as being adaptations of Tolkien's adaptation, it's entirely possible some things changed over time. Glorfindel may actually have originally been a girl :p And dwarves? Well seriously. Dwarves can be rather strange, don't you think? I mean ... have you ever seen a female dwarf? They must exist. But, do we really believe that female dwarves are just as bearded as male dwarves? Possibly. Could be that Gimli was actually female!

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Interesting to read that. I had been under the mistaken impression that Tolkien wrote those books because he was first and foremost a linguist, and he invented the Elvish language and wanted a story to showcase it in.

At least that's how I heard it.