• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I am SO glad you're back!

Terre

Renowned
Truck days are now Mon, Wed, and Fri. For the time being arrival will be 7am. As a result I go in at 7 this morning instead of 5. The only day I still need to be there at 5 is Sunday. I GET TO SLEEP IN!!!!
Hopefully we can get back to 5am as 7 is when we open but I don't know what will actually happen in the long run.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I can finally take a break. I am still on the big blue pond. By that I mean the Pacific Ocean. We are on our way to Paradise. Hawaii. To those who have never been there, it's not really all it's cracked up to be. Unless you are loaded, then it can be fun.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I thought Hawaii was great, but then I was there back in the late '60s, so it may have changed a lot since then.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
We won a trip to Honolulu, Hawaii ... a few years ago. Like ... when my 40 year old son was 7.

Fortunately, we only spent a few days in Honolulu ... which I absolutely hated. We'd paid extra to fly over to Maui and stay a few days in Lahaina. But, we only spent the last night there. Instead, we stayed with my cousin and her husband on the Ke'anae Peninsula ... which was fabulous. Needless to say, we also drove to Hana. Since we were halfway there already and could get to Hana before the "tourists" got on the road :wink:

The most exciting moment was on the drive back to the Ke'anae Peninsula, when we were on one of those one way bridges and met a highway department truck which was intentionally hogging the bridge. The guys inside the truck (and standing in the back of the truck) all had big grins on their faces ... until they saw it wasn't a tourist driving. Nope. It was my cousin's husband. Who worked with these guys. Which meant his 9 month pregnant wife was in the car too.

They stopped rather quickly and backed up to let us go by.

My cousin and her husband lived in the house his grandfather had built ... which had been picked up by a tsunami in '46 and deposited across the road. They took us around all the sights and introduced us to family and friends ... who all treated us like family too. I'm glad we spent the extra money to go to Maui. If my only experience had been Oahu ... I'd have hated Hawaii.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I was in Hawaii in the early 80's. Wild Oats with a couple of New Zealand girls, trying the local plants, and attending an authentic tourist pleasing Luau complete with girls doing amazing things with their hips in grass skirts and big men doing amazing things with fire batons to the sounds of huge drums. It only rained in the early hours of the morning and then stopped so the sun could come out and not ruin the vacation. I doubt I slept 8 hours over the entire week. It's probably changed since I was there but I wouldn't change my one week of Hawaiian vacation for the world. As far as I'm concerned, I Love Hawaii!

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm glad we spent the extra money to go to Maui. If my only experience had been Oahu ... I'd have hated Hawaii.
I have to agree. I have a friend who went to Hawaii on her honeymoon, even though her husband didn't really want to go there, and they stayed on Maui the whole time. When it came time for them to come home, he was the one who didn't want to come home. :D

The one thing I remember most about Hawaii was the absolutely delicious pineapple pancakes we had for breakfast. Nothing like Hawaiian pineapple, and having it right there, fresh, in Hawaii, is a lot better than here in NY.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Wow, and here I thought I was the only world traveler here! Great stories. In some ways, these are memories you will always have and be glad you could do it. In other ways, it's too bad that our economy keeps you from doing it now.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually Rokket, it's my age, more than the economy, which keeps me from doing more traveling. I did all my "world" traveling during the '60s and '70s. After that it was all here on continental USA.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Yeah, I see that. I offered to pay for my mother to come visit me in the Philippines and she declined, telling me she didn't want to travel like that. I even offered to put her in first class, because a trip like that would be hard her because of her age. She told me she is perfectly happy to stay home, and I can just bring the family to see her.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I can empathize. When I went to Israel, I made a stop in England for 4 days on the way, and a stop in Greece for 5 days on the way home, but my parents had done the trip the previous year, and spent something like 14 or so hours non-stop. I couldn't begin to imagine what the trip to the Philippines would be like, as it would be really looooong no matter whether I went East from here, or West from here. ~groan~

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Hey there! Don't know why I fell off the alerts but I'm back!!!!!

As a bone fide homebody I have to say my only overseas experiences have been visiting family (and friend :) ) in Aussie. otherwise no-one would have ever got me to get a passport :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Now there were 2 trips I never made that I always wanted to do, but couldn't because back when I was doing my "world" traveling, they were way too expensive.

One was to Japan, as my mother was a professional seamstress, and I so wanted to grab up a whole bunch of Japanese Silks for her to sew up into blouses and/or dresses for us.

The other trip was Down Under. I always admired the architecture of the Opera House in Sidney, and would've loved to have seen it up close and personal. I also would've probably included a stopover to NZ too. ;) I used to get 4 weeks vacation, so it would've been a nice trip, if I could've afforded it.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I have been to Japan and Australia many, many times, but it's always been work related travel. I honestly believe that if I hadn't joined the Navy I would still be at home, and one of those guys who never even leaves the county he lives in. I am not a traveler or nomad by any means. I prefer to stay in one spot as long as it's a quiet spot. My dad used to order me out of the house when I was younger. I'd stay in my room for days on end drawing or sketching.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's me too!

There is only one place that appeals to me enough to get me out of the house ... the Oregon Coast. Best of all would be a little cottage ON the Oregon Coast. Then I could stay home and enjoy the coast at the same time.

quietrob

Extraordinary
As an Air Force brat I was quite used to traveling to different places, making new friends and such. As a young teen I was enthralled with the books of Heinlein and Asimov and would dream of visiting different planets. After all, most movies had us doing interstellar travel by the 1980's. The red planet or the moon was certainly going to be doable. Instead I opted for Japan and Europe knowing that once I had my fill I would settle down and become an author or a comic book artist. At least I did travel and still like visiting strange places.

However, one thing rokket and I can agree with. There is no place like home. Unless it's Alaska. (Oh yes I did!)

Miss B

CV-BEE
I never got into Heinlein, but Asimov . . . my absolute favorite sci-fi author. :)