• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How The Hivewire Horse (harry) Came To Be.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Hey is any one else having a issue with the Arabian morph and the fetlocks in PP11? I can't get them to stay fitted to the shape, they'll conform ok then I'll move the camera or some thing and they go back to the default fit.
Doesn't matter if I start with the load all option or inj the morph to a default Harry I get the same thing

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
I don't know if this helps..but this is what I do. Load Harry with everything..load the breed morph, apply the breed morph..then use the load fetlock to the specific breed morph option. This should lock the fetlocks into place for specific breeds. I hope that makes sense ? I suck at giving clear instructions :)

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Dragonsegg, I think the problem with the horse's neck in 3D models is in how to reflect the real horse. You probably already know, a real horse's neck has the spine bone near the bottom of the neck at its base where it reaches the chest, so it hinges from what is nearly the neck's lowest point. There is a line of cartilage running up the topline of the neck from the withers to the skull, but none running along the bottom line. This cartilage gets pulled tight when the horse reaches down with its neck, producing a flattened topline and thinner-looking neck. As there is no equivalent on the bottom of the neck, you do not get the reverse effect on the bottom of the neck when the horse raises it.

(Nearly) every 3d horse model I have been able to examine places the 'hinge point' more centrally, which looks okay for neck up and neck forward positions, but generally looks bad with the head down. The main exception was, unsurprisingly, a horse skeleton. Harry is better than many models, although the texture tends to stretch a lot along the topline, which becomes obvious where you have markings such as dapples, and he doesn't show that little flat or concave section right in front of the withers. The mane would cover that, but I haven't managed to get the mane to drape forward/downward convincingly yet- anyone managed it?

Yeah I understand the limitations of the rig. I just wish someone who is good at it would make a grazing morph or maybe the Hivewire rigging guru could make some JCM's. I really don't know what is involved. I do know I can take the model into blender and make a morph for myself that works with a particular pose but I am no professional. ;)

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
or like Meipeis Perfect set for V4?
Fix certain most popular poses with JCM morphs, I guess modifying the bend points or bones joint parameters or whatever they are called.
Like I say all the time, I know just enough to be annoying but I give great ideas.............sometimes! :(

Varnayrah

Eager
Contributing Artist
ok... so I only just now saw that there were Stag and deer morphs created for Harry, even Mufflon and an Ox... will these be available someday? prettyplease? Adecent stag would be so awesome... zebra and mule and donkey too, by the way...

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
@Varnayrah , they will be out someday. Not sure when, I think once the cougar and the lion are out possibly zebra and deer might be on the list somwhere, but possibly the wolf next. Ah and Thistle the stylized fawn. Chris, can tell you more on the schedule.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
Nice to see all that info on zebras. I painted three sets of zebra striping patterns for the milhorse and wow that was painful work! I wasn't sure what species went with what pattern at the time - I still managed to make burchells (with the ghost stripes), mountain and grevy's. Good to have a name to put on them finally.

on the amerindian horses - from what I understand most of those were descended from livestock brought over and lost by the Spanish when they made a mess of the Mayans while looking for gold. That would mean those horses came originally from the Iberian peninsula and other parts of Europe and were heavy cavalry and possibly pack animals. Opinion is divided if there were extant horses in the americas before that .. but if there were at this point the geneticists can't point to anything other then all being pretty much the same critter. Any rate .. its an isolated population, with heavy inbreeding, with a root stock of whatever was being used as heavy cavalry in Spain in the 1600's. (probably not pretty animals) And of course all wild populations trend smaller than domesticated, mostly because of food shortages. You see that in 2nd generation feral animals, even if the parents were regular sized domestics, often the offspring grow up smaller.

So a European used to the tall saddle breeds, would see these hammer headed, scruffy, knock kneed, compact horses and say ' that there is a pony not a proper civilized horse'.

LM

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I use subdivision in my modeling app, but the newer versions of Poser, I believe starting with Poser10/PP2014, have the option to do subdivision within Poser.

What it does is smooth out the mesh. Here's a a couple of screenshots (not renders) I just did in Blender that shows what a cylinder looks like when first added to the scene, and how it looks subdivided at level 3. This is just to give you an idea what the SubD option does in Poser.

View attachment 2569

Very nice. I can never get any of my horse manes to look this gorgeous. where do I find this Sub-divide function in PoserPro 2014?

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
Subdivision is in the Properties tab of all items. When subd-ing a figure remember to start at Body in most cases. Also, if a figure has subd greyed out, that means it is an old-school poser figure and you need to go to Figure then Skinning Method and change from "Traditional Poser" to "Poser Unimesh"and then subd will be turned available. As far as I know, this does not affect anything on the figure as far as morphs, poses and textures go.

I have had sub D do nasty things to a prop that had very large facets, so be careful. On figures and hair though it can have some very nice results. Even the old Poser4Horse has some new life if you subd, and run SnarlyGribbly's EZSkin on one of Lyne's excellent textures. A final note, if you use the morph brush make sure the option to 'bake down' for lower subdivisions is turned on. This projects your morph down so it is useable at all subdivision resolutions including 0 (base res).

LM

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Upping the SubD on Harry's Mane can make a HUGE difference- especially if you use any of the waving morphs on it. For full size high res renders for my own artwork I sue SubD 2 or 3 depending on how "close up" the focus is on the mane. Closer up I use 3. Makes the mane much more smooth and flowing. Yeah the render time in Supefly with all those trans sheets is loooonnng, if you use good caustics. But well worth the effort at least in my experience.