• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire Warthog from Harry

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Yeah I was going off of a couple of profile reference photos for height of the animal, and leg size, and belly size. But yes, I know there is more variance as well.

Wait you mean wild animals aren't created off a from factor and aren't all the same! :alien:

I think things look great. And I do trust you to use actual references and not just make up in your mind what you think looks right. And this does look really great. Actually I think some of it was camera angle as well, because even the unmorphed one here looks scaled right in my mind. Silly 3d with it's cameras and perspective and angles.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Wow, I had to look that one up Minyassa, as I'm not as up on my prehistoric mammals as I probably should be.

Wikipedia has a nice drawn/painted version that looks quite nice.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
This is fantastic. And the hog/Harry mix gives me a lot of hope for future prehistoric mammal morphs!! Been DYING for someone to do a proper Andrewsarchus!

Wow, I had to look that one up Minyassa, as I'm not as up on my prehistoric mammals as I probably should be.

I had to look up Andrewsarchus too. The name is just too cute. It sounds like the name a five year old would give themselves while they were wearing a dinosaur suit. "I am the mighty Andrewsaurus!"

Also I love that Hivewire is the sort of place were someone would seriously say, "I'm not as up on my prehistoric mammals as I probably should be." Honestly, though, I've learned a lot about animals from being on this site, and in such a different way than just reading a book about them or watching a documentary. It's kind of interesting the way you view a creature when you are trying to figure out how to make a virtual version of it.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
A few days ago I posted on Facebook a few mini sketches that I had drawn last week. A couple of those sketches were of a warthog. After that post, a long time friend in this community (Chloe Thorne) asked me if I'd create a warthog model. So my muse got the better of me and today this is what I've been working on.

This is a pure morph from Harry our HiveWire Horse. I've only added in the tusks as props, but the rest is morph work. I have much more to do still. I haven't hardly touched the feet yet, but I think this is a plausible model. The mane will work in nicely, as warthogs have a hairy scruffy mane.

For those that think I take on too many products and wonder why I just don't finish off a few others that I've already started, I do have an answer to that. In actuality I probably am sitting on a years worth of models. They need to be rigged, textured, and additional expression morphs to finish up. I'm working on a long term project that being the human skeleton to fit within Dusk SE, and have many others in the works. But this is what I do, and what I'm not bad at creating. Paul is our rigger, and Laurie/CWRW, Virtual World, and Sparky are our primary texture map artists.

So, I don't know when this project will hit the store. I certainly hope it's sooner than later, but we'll do our best to work it in the line-up. To me, I wanted to see if our Horse mesh can handle this extreme morph, and it would appear that it can.

Can you just picture any of Laurie's awesome horse maps on this hideously handsome beast?!

View attachment 24330 View attachment 24331 View attachment 24332 View attachment 24333 View attachment 24334 View attachment 24335

Really cool looking Chris. I love it and with the right props as add-on would make an incredible fantasy battle steed.
I know this is still the beginning of the project and not to say I am criticizing because I am not just throwing my two cents into the discourse:
As far as Laurie's textures I would prefer scruffier thicker and hairier in parts as needed texturing. They are not sleek and smooth furred creatures and rooting around in dirt all the time I think, their appearance should reflect that.
I found that tey will ward off big cat attacks and actually saw an image of a big one eating a dead Zebra. No idea of it killed it but I still found it amazing that a piggie would eat meat even domestic pigs are carnivorous and that too never ceases to amaze me.
I found these images to show what I mean about the shapes and textures:

big ole warthog_hero.jpg

Blonde Warthog.jpg

scruffy shaggy warthawg.png

warthog86.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Also I love that Hivewire is the sort of place were someone would seriously say, "I'm not as up on my prehistoric mammals as I probably should be." Honestly, though, I've learned a lot about animals from being on this site, and in such a different way than just reading a book about them or watching a documentary. It's kind of interesting the way you view a creature when you are trying to figure out how to make a virtual version of it.
I have to agree GG, but most of the HW animals we have, or are in production, aren't necessarily prehistoric. I used to like watching documentaries of that type, and once stayed up until almost 3:00am, on a work night, so I could finish watching a great documentary on penguins up in the Arctic region. I learned a lot more about penguins than I'd ever known before. I also saw one about penguins in the Antarctic region, but with all the solid ice down there, they don't have it quite as easy.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I had to look up Andrewsarchus too. The name is just too cute. It sounds like the name a five year old would give themselves while they were wearing a dinosaur suit. "I am the mighty Andrewsaurus!"

Love this creature too. Looked it up on Google and it looks like a cross between wolf big cat and wart hog with its distended snout. I can see it too incprporated in my Runtime Folder under Fantasy War Creatures.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Funny you say that. Paul just put Ruckus on the Beast horse to see how he'd look for size comparison, and to my surprise he really looks good on him.
Since fantasy creatures and steeds you can use as war steeds are so important for me, Would love to see something like that too. Any way to see the image you are referring to Chris?

Harimau

Eager
This is fantastic. And the hog/Harry mix gives me a lot of hope for future prehistoric mammal morphs!! Been DYING for someone to do a proper Andrewsarchus!

This could be very difficult because Andrewsarchus is known only from a single skull of immense size - more than twice the length of the skull of the largest living bear. This would make it the largest mammalian predator ever to exist. Andrewsarchus has long been associated with the Mesonychids and all the past reconstructions are based on these association. Interestingly, Mesonychids had hoofs instead of claws giving them the moniker "wolves on hooves". They may be related to the early artiodactyls (a group that includes cattle, camels, pigs and hippos). Many scientists now consider that Andrewsarchus may not be a Mesonychid after all and that it could possibly be an artiodactyl (a discovery of its post cranial skeleton would clear this up once and for all). If this is the case, a reconstrution should be more like Pakicetus, an ancestral whale that had legs and walked on land. And yes, whales are artiodactyls and its closest land based relative is the hippo (Cetacea and Artiodactyla are now combined together as Cetartiodactyla). Confusing?

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
This could be very difficult because Andrewsarchus is known only from a single skull of immense size - more than twice the length of the skull of the largest living bear. This would make it the largest mammalian predator ever to exist. Andrewsarchus has long been associated with the Mesonychids and all the past reconstructions are based on these association. Interestingly, Mesonychids had hoofs instead of claws giving them the moniker "wolves on hooves". They may be related to the early artiodactyls (a group that includes cattle, camels, pigs and hippos). Many scientists now consider that Andrewsarchus may not be a Mesonychid after all and that it could possibly be an artiodactyl (a discovery of its post cranial skeleton would clear this up once and for all). If this is the case, a reconstrution should be more like Pakicetus, an ancestral whale that had legs and walked on land. And yes, whales are artiodactyls and its closest land based relative is the hippo (Cetacea and Artiodactyla are now combined together as Cetartiodactyla). Confusing?

As Sarah Palin was known and mocked for saying back in the day:
"YOU BETCHA!"
interesting how it all works. Thanks for the insight! Still think it would make a good "FANTASY" war Steed! LOL