HiveWire Warthog from Harry

Discussion in 'Show Me The Honey' started by Chris, Mar 19, 2017.

1. jecnodde

jecnodde Admirable

Yup :D and still do

Great work Chris :)

2. Gadget Girl

Gadget Girl Extraordinary Contributing Artist

Wait you mean wild animals aren't created off a from factor and aren't all the same! :alien:

I think things look great. And I do trust you to use actual references and not just make up in your mind what you think looks right. And this does look really great. Actually I think some of it was camera angle as well, because even the unmorphed one here looks scaled right in my mind. Silly 3d with it's cameras and perspective and angles.

Mythocentric and Chris like this.
  3. Minyassa

Minyassa Admirable Contributing Artist

This is fantastic. And the hog/Harry mix gives me a lot of hope for future prehistoric mammal morphs!! Been DYING for someone to do a proper Andrewsarchus!

4. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Wow, I had to look that one up Minyassa, as I'm not as up on my prehistoric mammals as I probably should be.

Wikipedia has a nice drawn/painted version that looks quite nice.

Minyassa likes this.
  5. static

static Inspired

So how long do we have to wait? Cuz, I can't. Gotta have it nowww!

Chris and Pendraia like this.
  6. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

And this little piggy... well, it's supposed to come visit me really soon. As soon as it can get away from Chris, that is... ;)

7. Gadget Girl

Gadget Girl Extraordinary Contributing Artist

I had to look up Andrewsarchus too. The name is just too cute. It sounds like the name a five year old would give themselves while they were wearing a dinosaur suit. "I am the mighty Andrewsaurus!"

Also I love that Hivewire is the sort of place were someone would seriously say, "I'm not as up on my prehistoric mammals as I probably should be." Honestly, though, I've learned a lot about animals from being on this site, and in such a different way than just reading a book about them or watching a documentary. It's kind of interesting the way you view a creature when you are trying to figure out how to make a virtual version of it.

8. carmen indorato

carmen indorato Ambitious

Your pigs both domestic and wild were brilliant dear and i have them and loved them then and still use them now. Too bad you could not rework them for today's standards bu they are cherished!

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Pendraia like this.
  9. carmen indorato

Really cool looking Chris. I love it and with the right props as add-on would make an incredible fantasy battle steed.
    I know this is still the beginning of the project and not to say I am criticizing because I am not just throwing my two cents into the discourse:
    As far as Laurie's textures I would prefer scruffier thicker and hairier in parts as needed texturing. They are not sleek and smooth furred creatures and rooting around in dirt all the time I think, their appearance should reflect that.
    I found that tey will ward off big cat attacks and actually saw an image of a big one eating a dead Zebra. No idea of it killed it but I still found it amazing that a piggie would eat meat even domestic pigs are carnivorous and that too never ceases to amaze me.
    I found these images to show what I mean about the shapes and textures:

big ole warthog_hero.jpg

Blonde Warthog.jpg

scruffy shaggy warthawg.png

warthog86.jpg

10. carmen indorato

HUH! 8()
    GobSmacked!!
    I have never heard that word!
    Gotta remember it!

Pendraia and Mythocentric like this.
  11. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

I have to agree GG, but most of the HW animals we have, or are in production, aren't necessarily prehistoric. I used to like watching documentaries of that type, and once stayed up until almost 3:00am, on a work night, so I could finish watching a great documentary on penguins up in the Arctic region. I learned a lot more about penguins than I'd ever known before. I also saw one about penguins in the Antarctic region, but with all the solid ice down there, they don't have it quite as easy.

12. carmen indorato

Love this creature too. Looked it up on Google and it looks like a cross between wolf big cat and wart hog with its distended snout. I can see it too incprporated in my Runtime Folder under Fantasy War Creatures.

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Minyassa like this.
  13. carmen indorato

14. carmen indorato

Since fantasy creatures and steeds you can use as war steeds are so important for me, Would love to see something like that too. Any way to see the image you are referring to Chris?

15. carmen indorato

Dakorillon (IMArts) likes this.
  16. Harimau

Harimau Eager

This could be very difficult because Andrewsarchus is known only from a single skull of immense size - more than twice the length of the skull of the largest living bear. This would make it the largest mammalian predator ever to exist. Andrewsarchus has long been associated with the Mesonychids and all the past reconstructions are based on these association. Interestingly, Mesonychids had hoofs instead of claws giving them the moniker "wolves on hooves". They may be related to the early artiodactyls (a group that includes cattle, camels, pigs and hippos). Many scientists now consider that Andrewsarchus may not be a Mesonychid after all and that it could possibly be an artiodactyl (a discovery of its post cranial skeleton would clear this up once and for all). If this is the case, a reconstrution should be more like Pakicetus, an ancestral whale that had legs and walked on land. And yes, whales are artiodactyls and its closest land based relative is the hippo (Cetacea and Artiodactyla are now combined together as Cetartiodactyla). Confusing?

Dakorillon (IMArts) likes this.
  17. Harimau

Harimau Eager

Very nice Chris. Looking forward to the finished product. By the way, your first picture is a red forest hog piglet, the second a wart hog piglet - am I right? I found two other pictures showing them with their mothers.
    1e6e0ad5a645ad199b41c2ed2476e7f6.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

RAMWolff and Dakorillon (IMArts) like this.
  18. Harimau

Harimau Eager

And they run with their tails held vertically upwards! africa-animals8-53a7b8505756a6af5609cd267c51deb3-840x490-85-nocrop.jpg

RAMWolff and Dakorillon (IMArts) like this.
  19. carmen indorato

As Sarah Palin was known and mocked for saying back in the day:
    "YOU BETCHA!"
    interesting how it all works. Thanks for the insight! Still think it would make a good "FANTASY" war Steed! LOL

20. carmen indorato

Hmm!?
    Strnge way to run. I understand they are pretty fleet footed. Maybe the tail up acts like a spoiler in a sports car. Drag or keeping them from lifting off the ground!? :))