• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire Warthog from Harry

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
So why can't I use props and accessories made seemingly for D/S in Poser out of the box?
Why is it ALL the products currently available in store (and I don't mean characters and accessories for characters) but sets, environments, props and other inanimate products not Include Poser compatability in product description page?
Why has the DSON Importer for earlier releases ever worked for me and so many others trying to use it and why is there no longer even a DSON Importer product version any longer available for Poser use?
I don't think it is me or other Poser users trying to convince ourselves the products are NOT functional in Poser.....seems there is something else going on.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Dang... that is one ugly matha.

Which makes it perfect.

Yes, yes... you can just smell it can't you? Doesn't even need a scratch and sniff.
I've smelled them Chris and assure you up the are not very friendly web partners or house guest. Dey STINKS BAAAAAD!!!!!

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
No, don't think I'd care to meet a few dozen of those coming off the freeway in Santa Monica at the end of Route 66.
The Harleys are just *loud*.

Well, given that Studio is free, if it runs on your rig at all, it *ought* to be possible to load whatever set or prop you want to use, in Studio and export as .obj from the .duf scene. Not sure what the procedure is for moving over the materials as well, (I think that might be covered in Paul's video about converting things from one program to the other) but I think the matt zones might be preserved (anyone?). I agree that it's an annoying as hell hoop to have to jump through, but given that DAZ doesn't require any of their vendors to provide Poser-complint files, very few vendors still do so (a few still do, and others include a package of .obj files in addition to the .duf version).

Of course these days, you're just as likely to get slammed by the "Iray only" issue.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
You can export cr2s also. It's the the same process as the objects. You just change the file type.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Yea
No, don't think I'd care to meet a few dozen of those coming off the freeway in Santa Monica at the end of Route 66.
The Harleys are just *loud*.

Well, given that Studio is free, if it runs on your rig at all, it *ought* to be possible to load whatever set or prop you want to use, in Studio and export as .obj from the .duf scene. Not sure what the procedure is for moving over the materials as well, (I think that might be covered in Paul's video about converting things from one program to the other) but I think the matt zones might be preserved (anyone?). I agree that it's an annoying as hell hoop to have to jump through, but given that DAZ doesn't require any of their vendors to provide Poser-complint files, very few vendors still do so (a few still do, and others include a package of .obj files in addition to the .duf version).

Of course these days, you're just as likely to get slammed by the "Iray only" issue.
Yeah but my brain just no longer works enough to try and climb the steep learning curve to learn d/s in any way so not an option for me so no point going through all the merry go round of doing it that way.
I have a few really beautiful props I purchased there (woodland defender I think which include a really cool bow and arrow set where the bow was made of branches) I would really love to convert. The intent was to try doing it the way you mentioned but it never got done for just the above reason of deadened brain! Just deleted d/s and moved on pretending I never got the item!☹️

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Having watched some tutorials on using quaternion it is simpler than triax but requires more JCM's from what I can see. I haven't done much work with quaternions though.
I'd rather do a few extra JCM's than fight with all the weight mapping for all the bones. I never like TriAx at all, ever. When I was developing Pan for Dusk Paul and I had a bit of email back and forth and he mentioned that General would work just fine for the legs.... I still would love them to be conformers though to make posing easier. That project is on the shelf for the time being but one of these days... it will happen... hopefully before the world comes to an end! :p

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
As a developer, the androgyny of Genesis was the feature I liked best, so naturally, it was the feature that was immediately abandoned. I never once understood any of the arguments against it. Some of the customers might have been over-eager to have all the products work perfectly across all possible shapes, but that was just a matter of expectation management which could easily have been handled better than "quick, let's split the genders again!" I notice they don't do separate children anymore, though, even though it's much more difficult to set up a child shape on an adult figure than a male shape on a female figure and vice-versa. The whole "it's easier to make gender-specific content on gender-specific bases" is all just pure bull.
I LOVED Genesis 1 and I for one would have loved to see the second generation of it with more mesh being added in the "breast/pectoral" area and perhaps more down in the crotch area for things like lady bits, which I heard folks were quite annoyed with when trying to model anything down there that resembled that. Other than that DAZ did disappoint quite a few folks when they split the figure back into Male and Female. For monsters and other creatures it was a developers delight as going from male and female without a bunch of refittings for horns, hooves, claws and the like is just a hassle.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I read somewere a while ago that some modeler prefer a generic mesh to work from creating either or gender figures. It was written then in the article it is easier to develop pectorals,or breasts,if starting from scratch that trying to tuck all that deformed/stretched mesh into a detailed smooth realistic looking opposite gender. I don't know I don't model but that was the opinion at the time and the content creator got a lot of agreement from others better versed than me.
I love the idea of working with one figure to create male or female, creatures, kids etc. from one mesh. Would have loved to see for instance more morphs to bring mil2 and Mil4 figures down to kids size to take advantage of my huge library of adult to kid skins and accessories.
The inclusion of male body for Victoria female shapes has allowed me to use her accessories and skins with a bit of texture deformities sometimes in both mil2 and Mil4 versions in the same render. Going the other way, I have even been able to create some credible females from M4 using a few freebie morph sets. Love the flexibility it offers so the genesis idea is sweet form me to pine for. I thought that was the intent of the unimesh construct when DAZ released mil1 figures. Did not really see it come to full fruition until the genesis series came out and in a way I would love to work with them but the problem with climbing that steep learning curve AGAIN to learn D/S is for me prohibitive. :((

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Genesis 1 is still my primary figure. Primarily because most of my character library was built off of it. I know that I should start migrating the morphs and as many of the skins as I could to a more recent base, but I just shy off of the amount of work that is going to entail. I've got over a hundred continuing characters that would need to move.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I read somewere a while ago that some modeler prefer a generic mesh to work from creating either or gender figures. It was written then in the article it is easier to develop pectorals,or breasts,if starting from scratch that trying to tuck all that deformed/stretched mesh into a detailed smooth realistic looking opposite gender. I don't know I don't model but that was the opinion at the time and the content creator got a lot of agreement from others better versed than me.
I love the idea of working with one figure to create male or female, creatures, kids etc. from one mesh. Would have loved to see for instance more morphs to bring mil2 and Mil4 figures down to kids size to take advantage of my huge library of adult to kid skins and accessories.
The inclusion of male body for Victoria female shapes has allowed me to use her accessories and skins with a bit of texture deformities sometimes in both mil2 and Mil4 versions in the same render. Going the other way, I have even been able to create some credible females from M4 using a few freebie morph sets. Love the flexibility it offers so the genesis idea is sweet form me to pine for. I thought that was the intent of the unimesh construct when DAZ released mil1 figures. Did not really see it come to full fruition until the genesis series came out and in a way I would love to work with them but the problem with climbing that steep learning curve AGAIN to learn D/S is for me prohibitive. :((
The trick to making sure that textures weren't stretched for a specific character was to morph the character into what you wanted, male, female, monster or what ever and then export that obj out to texture so the stretching was non existent. Now if you wanted to use that skin on another morph you may run into issues but at that point of the game it's on the end user not the artist.

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Maybe you can use him for your transfiguration final, and turn him into a water goblet. Vera Verto! ;-)

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
The trick to making sure that textures weren't stretched for a specific character was to morph the character into what you wanted, male, female, monster or what ever and then export that obj out to texture so the stretching was non existent. Now if you wanted to use that skin on another morph you may run into issues but at that point of the game it's on the end user not the artist.
Like I never could,figure out why stephs 1 and 2 morphs and textures were fromM1/2? Would have been so GREAT being able to utilize the huge libraries we gathered of V1/2 textures and morphs. I was relieved when I started using Mil 4 figures seeing Steph morphs and textures were derived from V4. But even so, there are times even now when I need a male and female figure together with a particular funky texture and have to,resort to either using M4 with male textures with the M4 male to female morphs I have to make it happen in whatever limited capacity or to resort to using V4 as female and using her multitude of morphs as a male so I can do that. The textures seem to work fairly well that way hitch makes it nice option to have in a pinch and I can't detect much stretching.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Been working on the Warthog today. On the inside of the mouth and teeth actually. Oh, and as well as positioning the mane for Sparky too.

Getting close. But now I see a couple other things that I'd like to tweak. But... off to Sparky before too long. Maybe even by tomorrow night.

WarthogWork24.JPG