1. We are upgrading to a 2.0 version of our forum as this 1.5 version is no longer supported. Please look at your bookmarks if you have them and note them in a text document as the import process for bookmarks may not work correctly. We will have bookmarks in the 2.0 version so you will be able to recreate whatever may be lost in the upgrade. Everything else appears to have come across fine in our initial tests. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

HiveWire Warthog from Harry

Discussion in 'Show Me The Honey' started by Chris, Mar 19, 2017.

1. AllenArt

AllenArt Enthusiast

I like the warthog :). I'm so glad someone is still making animals.

Laurie

LadyfyreGraphics likes this.
  2. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Ohhh, someone's being a tease. ;)

Rae134 likes this.
  3. carmen indorato

carmen indorato Extraordinary

When I talked to Sixus about creating his new Warg for sale at DAZ for Poser, he gave me a VERY RESOUNDNG NO!
    Said now that he as worked in triangular mesh he will NEVER go back to,quad. Sucks! So much nicer and easier and cleaner mesh format and says many who have gone that way feel the same thing. Too bad the POSER creators never evolved....we lost a big contingent of great content creators and wiki apparently never get them back to create for Poser!

4. Dreamer

Dreamer Dream Weaver Designs Contributing Artist

Sorry but am missing some thing? Are you saying that Poser can't use a triangular mesh? I am honestly confused here as a lot of dynamic clothing is made with a triangular mesh to get smoother and better draping.

Pendraia likes this.
  5. Miss B

Yes Dreamer, Poser can use Tris. I for one don't like them for dynamics, but a lot of folks prefer it. Up until recently Marvelous Designer only produced Tris, and I would then convert to Quads in Blender, which is no small feat. It's much easier to convert with ZBrush's Remesher.

I think it's all a preference issue, and not so much that Poser can't handle Tris.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  6. Dreamer

Thanks @Miss B I had thought that was so but I don't all ways trust my memory :p it is kin to swiss cheese some days lol

7. Miss B

Welcome to the club Dreamer. ;)

8. JOdel

JOdel Extraordinary HW Honey Bear

I have some of Cute3D's early clothing models. They are rather nice, but they're Marvelous Designer tris. Have you ever tried to build matt zones with the geometry editor, it the mesh is tris?

I *really* can't recommend it...

Pendraia likes this.
  9. Dreamer

A little tri^ing is it ;)

Pendraia likes this.
  10. Miss B

Oh yes, I can well imagine it JOdel. I remember trying to do so after converting a simple dress to quads in Blender, and it was frustrating because I still wound up with Tris in places I didn't want them.

Picture a dress with a cumberbund effect around the whole abdomen area that you wanted a different color than the skirt and bodice. Not easy when a Tri is standing up vertically, so half of it is in the cumberbund area, and half is in the bodice area, and you have to cut it in half to mark the mat zones, which gives you a Tri in the bodice and a Tri in the cumberbund.

I much prefer Quads any day of the week.

11. carmen indorato

carmen indorato Extraordinary

News to me this. I always thought that tri meshes do not work in Poser. So then why is it DAZ genesis products do not?
    I am not talking about converting the stuff in a real 3D app but out of the box? And what did Sixus mean by his strong statement?

12. Dreamer

As to the Genesis products it is my understanding that they use a different weight map system to what Poser is using, nothing to do with how the mesh is made. Those with a better and more understanding may be able to offer more on that.

As to Sixus, I have my thoughts but they would be unworthy for me to voice so I will say no more on it ;)

Pendraia likes this.
  13. JOdel

Sixus 1 has a couple of new tutorials over on Rendo on modeling for Studio/taking things in and out of ZBrush. The promo of one of the exercises looks like a standard quad mesh to me. So I don't know what he was referring to regarding tris.

14. Miss B

Well ZBrush has the Remesher now, and that does a nice job of converting Tris to Quads, certainly a much better job than Blender does.

Pendraia and RAMWolff like this.
  15. JOdel

Hm. Useful to know. I'm signed up for a class in ZBrush that starts in a couple of weeks. I'm going to have to see whether i am going to need to repurchase an educational copy, since they've turned loose a new version and I don't know whether the school has upgraded their license (oh, probably). I bought mine last semester, and it's the previous one.

16. Sparky

Sparky Monster Maker Contributing Artist

Poser has no problem at all with tris, or even really ngons for that matter. Poser isn't picky. I think Sixus may have been referring to "Tri-Ax" Studio's weightmapping system. Or, perhaps it's just misinformation. I once had zero luck convincing a long-time content creator that Poser doesn't need to have the groups split in the geometry, which was a major reason he wanted to drop Poser support. Cross platform support just isn't as difficult as a lot of people are determined to think it is. ^.^

Pendraia and Dreamer like this.
  17. Sunfire

Sunfire One Busy Little Bee QAV-BEE Contributing Artist

I'd heard horror stories about creating for both DS and Poser, but Paul had his nice little video about how to take something from DS and make it for Poser. Setting up the clothing in DS was much easier than my previous forays into rigging in Poser, and exporting to Poser was a breeze, as was making sure it worked right. So creating content for both is, not as difficult as people say. Guess that's the bonus of coming late to the game, you don't get mired in old habits. LOL

I've also heard that a geometry made up of tris instead of quads works better in the cloth room. And if Poser had a problem with ngons then MarkDC's clothing creation turorial would be a bust, and as it was one of the first I looked at, it's far from a bust, but the method he uses, can cause ngons by the pound to appear in your mesh.

Pendraia likes this.
  18. JOdel

Wonder whether that might be why content for Genesis 3 took off like a rocket. They dropped Tri-Ax in favor of dual quaternion with G3.

19. Pendraia

Pendraia Seasoned Contributing Artist

Having watched some tutorials on using quaternion it is simpler than triax but requires more JCM's from what I can see. I haven't done much work with quaternions though.

RAMWolff likes this.
  20. JOdel

Not being a developer (kitbasher, yes, developer, no), from where I was standing, the majority of vendors wouldn't touch Genesis with a 10-foot pole. Once DSON was available a number of them gingerly developed a few things for G2, and then, seem to have adopted G3 with hardly any delay at all.