• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire Warthog from Harry

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
>> Yeah sure for D/S! I am sure of that and if not then someone else I am sure....but for Poser? Doubtful!<<

True. But then with all of the artists and vendors out there who produce Poser content -- and we both know there are a lot of them -- *why* in over a dozen years has no one but Hivewire stepped up to the plate and produced really quality new dog and/or cat models? Why have people been clamoring for DAZ to do it ever since weightmapping was adopted by both programs? Even if DAZ *had* done upgraded dog or cat models, theirs would not be supporting Poser weightmapping.

The Poser-specific community of artists and modelers is not that small. If they want new dogs and cats why hasn't anyone else done anything?
Well, I take that back. There have been a couple of standalone dog or cat models that turned up in various markets, or freebie collections like ShareCg. But They've all been single model/single morph products. Nobody but DAZ and Hivewire is thinking in terms of a comprehensive base model with a slew of different breed morphs. And DAZ's commitment to that doesn't look as high as it was back in 2003 (MilCat) and 2004 (MilDog). Hivewire is fully committed, but the team producing them is small enough that once the base, with the morph potential is released, the actual breed morphs have tricked out one at a time. Nobody is going to see something like the original MilCat or MilDog bundles that come with just abut everything all in one package.

Actually AM's warthog comes with goth DS and PS versions. it's just the hair that is only available in DS. Quite a few of his animals come in both versions. But his modeling, while much better than it used to be, is nowhere near Chris's.

Stonemason does still include an .obj version of his sets. It may not make it easy, but at least it is still possible to use them in Poser.
When I talked to Sixus about creating his new Warg for sale at DAZ for Poser, he gave me a VERY RESOUNDNG NO!
Said now that he as worked in triangular mesh he will NEVER go back to,quad. Sucks! So much nicer and easier and cleaner mesh format and says many who have gone that way feel the same thing. Too bad the POSER creators never evolved....we lost a big contingent of great content creators and wiki apparently never get them back to create for Poser!

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
When I talked to Sixus about creating his new Warg for sale at DAZ for Poser, he gave me a VERY RESOUNDNG NO!
Said now that he as worked in triangular mesh he will NEVER go back to,quad. Sucks! So much nicer and easier and cleaner mesh format and says many who have gone that way feel the same thing. Too bad the POSER creators never evolved....we lost a big contingent of great content creators and wiki apparently never get them back to create for Poser!
Sorry but am missing some thing? Are you saying that Poser can't use a triangular mesh? I am honestly confused here as a lot of dynamic clothing is made with a triangular mesh to get smoother and better draping.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes Dreamer, Poser can use Tris. I for one don't like them for dynamics, but a lot of folks prefer it. Up until recently Marvelous Designer only produced Tris, and I would then convert to Quads in Blender, which is no small feat. It's much easier to convert with ZBrush's Remesher.

I think it's all a preference issue, and not so much that Poser can't handle Tris.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Yes Dreamer, Poser can use Tris. I for one don't like them for dynamics, but a lot of folks prefer it. Up until recently Marvelous Designer only produced Tris, and I would then convert to Quads in Blender, which is no small feat. It's much easier to conver with ZBrush's Remesher.

I think it's all a preference issue, and not so much that Poser can't handle Tris.
Thanks @Miss B I had thought that was so but I don't all ways trust my memory :p it is kin to swiss cheese some days lol

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I have some of Cute3D's early clothing models. They are rather nice, but they're Marvelous Designer tris. Have you ever tried to build matt zones with the geometry editor, it the mesh is tris?

I *really* can't recommend it...

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I have some of Cute3D's early clothing models. They are rather nice, but they're Marvelous Designer tris. Have you ever tried to build matt zones with the geometry editor, it the mesh is tris?

I *really* can't recommend it...
A little tri^ing is it ;)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh yes, I can well imagine it JOdel. I remember trying to do so after converting a simple dress to quads in Blender, and it was frustrating because I still wound up with Tris in places I didn't want them.

Picture a dress with a cumberbund effect around the whole abdomen area that you wanted a different color than the skirt and bodice. Not easy when a Tri is standing up vertically, so half of it is in the cumberbund area, and half is in the bodice area, and you have to cut it in half to mark the mat zones, which gives you a Tri in the bodice and a Tri in the cumberbund.

I much prefer Quads any day of the week.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
News to me this. I always thought that tri meshes do not work in Poser. So then why is it DAZ genesis products do not?
I am not talking about converting the stuff in a real 3D app but out of the box? And what did Sixus mean by his strong statement?

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
News to me this. I always thought that tri meshes do not work in Poser. So then why is it DAZ genesis products do not?
I am not talking about converting the stuff in a real 3D app but out of the box? And what did Sixus mean by his strong statement?
As to the Genesis products it is my understanding that they use a different weight map system to what Poser is using, nothing to do with how the mesh is made. Those with a better and more understanding may be able to offer more on that.

As to Sixus, I have my thoughts but they would be unworthy for me to voice so I will say no more on it ;)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Sixus 1 has a couple of new tutorials over on Rendo on modeling for Studio/taking things in and out of ZBrush. The promo of one of the exercises looks like a standard quad mesh to me. So I don't know what he was referring to regarding tris.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Hm. Useful to know. I'm signed up for a class in ZBrush that starts in a couple of weeks. I'm going to have to see whether i am going to need to repurchase an educational copy, since they've turned loose a new version and I don't know whether the school has upgraded their license (oh, probably). I bought mine last semester, and it's the previous one.

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Poser has no problem at all with tris, or even really ngons for that matter. Poser isn't picky. I think Sixus may have been referring to "Tri-Ax" Studio's weightmapping system. Or, perhaps it's just misinformation. I once had zero luck convincing a long-time content creator that Poser doesn't need to have the groups split in the geometry, which was a major reason he wanted to drop Poser support. Cross platform support just isn't as difficult as a lot of people are determined to think it is. ^.^

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'd heard horror stories about creating for both DS and Poser, but Paul had his nice little video about how to take something from DS and make it for Poser. Setting up the clothing in DS was much easier than my previous forays into rigging in Poser, and exporting to Poser was a breeze, as was making sure it worked right. So creating content for both is, not as difficult as people say. Guess that's the bonus of coming late to the game, you don't get mired in old habits. LOL

I've also heard that a geometry made up of tris instead of quads works better in the cloth room. And if Poser had a problem with ngons then MarkDC's clothing creation turorial would be a bust, and as it was one of the first I looked at, it's far from a bust, but the method he uses, can cause ngons by the pound to appear in your mesh.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Wonder whether that might be why content for Genesis 3 took off like a rocket. They dropped Tri-Ax in favor of dual quaternion with G3.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Having watched some tutorials on using quaternion it is simpler than triax but requires more JCM's from what I can see. I haven't done much work with quaternions though.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Not being a developer (kitbasher, yes, developer, no), from where I was standing, the majority of vendors wouldn't touch Genesis with a 10-foot pole. Once DSON was available a number of them gingerly developed a few things for G2, and then, seem to have adopted G3 with hardly any delay at all.