• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED HiveWire Dog Is Underway

sandman_max

It can be done-- though it's very complex and tricky to do. I do use it on some of my more recent birds-- the kiwi being a great example.

Another good example of it is 9mbi's work (no longer in the community). Since I don't see the models anywhere I did a quick render his Lesser Panda and Red Fox-- this is pure layered trans map fur as a conforming part. I actually looked at his techniques as a basis for what I wanted to do in my owl and refined them so that the intense patterning of the default base texture would transfer to the fur layers (9mbi's approach were much simpler). I'll be happy to share my secrets with anyone adventurous and patient enough to try it (you will need extensive knowledge in modeling, UVs and texture painting)

View attachment 9899
What's wrong with dynamic hair? I have Tiny's "Fluffy Cat for the Millennium Cat - A Tiny 3D Creation" and it's wonderful. I've created the most gorgeous long haired cats I've ever seen in CG. And somebody over at DAZ created Mil Dog and Mil Cat dynamic hair for Carrara.

Here are some examples
Fluffy Cats using Dynamic Hair.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
What's wrong with dynamic hair? I have Tiny's "Fluffy Cat for the Millennium Cat - A Tiny 3D Creation" and it's wonderful. I've created the most gorgeous long haired cats I've ever seen in CG. And somebody over at DAZ created Mil Dog and Mil Cat dynamic hair for Carrara.

Here are some examples
View attachment 11777

I like Dynamic Hair and I prefer it when it's available. As a content creator though, it's a challenge because our customer base is cut into two camps and neither dynamic hair system is compatible with the other. It's also a fine art and high degree of specialty skills to make the fur as good as the examples you've shown. Once the fur is made, you have to make it as easy as possible for the end user to use for commercial success. I'd venture to say that more than half the Poser users have never have done anything in the Cloth Room and on the DS side, while some have purchased LAMH or have the free player, rarely use it or even know how to use it. So from a vendors standpoint, it's a challenge, if you expect to make a living. You need a special type of vendor. I make birds, not because I expect to get rich from them, but because I love them, want them for my Runtime and think I can get a few end users to see what I see in them. I think Tiny is one of those vendors and hope she brings the gorilla dynamic hair to market.

Last edited:

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Well said, Ken! Fur that looks good for all software is a "rock and hard place" problem.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Well, if you can find some breeds of cat that have the same coats as dogs. . .

Black-and-white border collie and black-and-white cat? I think the 'spread' of white occurs in the same way- starting at the muzzle, paws and tail-tip for animals with only a small amount of white, then working up the face, chest and legs onto the tummy and around the neck, until at the other end you get animals with colour only on the back and ears or thereabouts. Some cows, rabbits, rats and guinea-pigs have very similar colour patterning of this type too.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist

Love those. And yes, I agree dynamic hair is great, it's just not easy to do.

It's also a fine art and high degree of specialty skills to make the fur as good as the examples you've shown. Once the fur is made, you have to make it as easy as possible for the end user to use for commercial success.

Yeah, I only have a very few dynamic hair items. The ones I have always work great, but my own attempts in the hair room have usually just been frustrating.

Black-and-white border collie and black-and-white cat? I think the 'spread' of white occurs in the same way- starting at the muzzle, paws and tail-tip for animals with only a small amount of white, then working up the face, chest and legs onto the tummy and around the neck, until at the other end you get animals with colour only on the back and ears or thereabouts. Some cows, rabbits, rats and guinea-pigs have very similar colour patterning of this type too.

Very cool fact. That white and black coloring you see in so many animals is actually a side effect of domestication. A Russian scientist decided to do an experiment decades ago to see if it was possible to breed foxes to be domesticated. He was trying to figure out what the process might have originally been like for dogs. Well, one of the odd side effects of breeding tame siberian red foxes, was that their coats turned black and white in a similar way to lots of other domestic animals.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
A Russian scientist decided to do an experiment decades ago to see if it was possible to breed foxes to be domesticated. He was trying to figure out what the process might have originally been like for dogs. Well, one of the odd side effects of breeding tame siberian red foxes, was that their coats turned black and white in a similar way to lots of other domestic animals.

I heard about that, a fascinating study! I think, but don't quote me, that the only factors they selected for (when deciding which animals to allow to breed) was how close to humans the animals were willing to approach, and lack of aggression when they were themselves approached or handled.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I like Dynamic Hair and I prefer it when it's available. As a content creator though, it's a challenge because our customer base is cut into two camps and neither dynamic hair system is compatible with the other. It's also a fine art and high degree of specialty skills to make the fur as good as the examples you've shown. Once the fur is made, you have to make it as easy as possible for the end user to use for commercial success. I'd venture to say that more than half the Poser users have never have done anything in the Cloth Room and on the DS side, while some have purchased LAMH or have the free player, rarely use it or even know how to use it. So from a vendors standpoint, it's a challenge, if you expect to make a living. You need a special type of vendor. I make birds, not because I expect to get rich from them, but because I love them, want them for my Runtime and think I can get a few end users to see what I see in them. I think Tiny is one of those vendors and hope she brings the gorilla dynamic hair to market.

Wuld love to use real looking fur and hair FX in my work but trying to wrap my dying brain matter around the learning curve is more than my blood pressure and patience will allow. Also as I have come to understand strand hair and fur take WAAAAAY longer to render than the simpler though inferior solution. I have tried it like those numbers you quoted and failed never to try again. I just wish there were easier ways to make strand hair and fur work in Poser like using morph dials say for length, thickness and wind effects.
Same goes for dynamic clothes. and morph brush and advanced Materials. Just does not sink in for me and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I just wish there were easier ways to make strand hair and fur work in Poser like using morph dials say for length, thickness and wind effects.

I'm not very good at all with the Hair room, but I do remember there are dials for length and thickness. Wind effects though are hard. If it helps, I usually give up on the built in wind effects when dealing with dynamic cloth. What I do is this, if I want the wind blowing from left to right I actually start my figure to the right of where I want the figure to end up. So if I want the figure facing the front camera at 0,0,0 I'll start the figure on frame 1 at 0,0,-5 (or something like that) and then on the last frame have them back at 0,0,0. Think of it like having a doll inside a room. You can 'simulate' wind by moving the doll rapidly in a direction.

WillowRaven

Enthusiast
I just bought LAMH, which should work on anything, including this. But didn't I read somewhere these new critters will not be compatible in DS4.7?

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yes, Studio 4.8 and Poser 10/2014 are the baselines for the Hivewire projects currently WiPs

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think they will only be supported from D4.8 and up. As really the only difference between 4.7 & 4.8 is Iray, they should still work in 4.7. You just won't be able to use any of the Iray settings.

WillowRaven

Enthusiast
I think they will only be supported from D4.8 and up. As really the only difference between 4.7 & 4.8 is Iray, they should still work in 4.7. You just won't be able to use any of the Iray settings.

I wouldn't want to use Iray settings, anyway, lol.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
If the textures only come with Iray settings, you can still use the textures but would have to make your own 3DL settings if they don't come with them.