• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I believe both cats could hear just fine... but had the selective hearing trait that all cats are known for. LOL. It was a looooong time ago that I had these cats.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Work continues. Still not refined, but is shaping up.

Leopard9.JPG

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Sooo much talent! Any bee snow sculptures this year? (I don't know how warm or snowy it's been in Utah this year.)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Very cool watching it develop...just looking at those paws I can see lots of polys for you to make them with. Do you plan on getting rid of the hoofs or just moving points? Also I was wondering how you're going to do the claws? Sorry for the questions but I find this stuff rather fascinating...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I love how you share your progress with us, Chris!
Absolutely. I've never come across a 3D product creator show his work in progress like Chris does. It makes me feel like I'm part of the creation, even if all I do is pay him compliments. :)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
So kewl to see this developing! Long before I got into horses, the big cats were my passion (well they still are actually!) I am SO jazzed to see this- I gave up trying to use the others as I pretty much ended up painting over my entire render. LOL here is a really old one I did! (like 10 years ago:)

Laurie

LordOfTheHimalayas.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
The original MilAnimals really were excellent meshes. The textures are all a bit low-res by today's standards, and the feet on the big cats are a bit awkward. But one can still use them. The DAZ 2 animals seem to be doing better in their textures, but the BigCat 2's feet are even worse than the MilBigCat's feet. About the only really big difference is the weightmapping, and that doesn't make up for the bad feet.

The MilCat (house cat) doesn't have particularly bad feet so far as I can tell. And once you slap some fur on it it still looks pretty good. But it could be improved.

I am going to be really interested in watching this develop.

ETA: I find that for renders, running renders using some of the old animals through SnapArt, a Photoshop plugin that makes photos or renders look like analog art does a lot to improve the look of animal models with the old textures.
www.redhen-publications.com/newbies.html
Click on the 'Animal Magnatism' title to see the proper image.

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Shaping up nicely Chris!

To quote, Tweety Bird "I taut I taw a puddy tat!! I did, I did tee a puddy tat!!............. A biiiiig Puddy Tat!!

Gorgeous Laurie!! Excellent job on the fur texture ......... I really wanna touch it!

JOdel, aye the feet are a bit strange and there is just something about how the face looks that is odd.

Maybe the eyes read too much as human, and the brow ridge and cheeks are not as defined as they possibly could be on the mil big cat. I haven't been able to put my finger on it.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Finally got to the end of this. I'm far behind on so many things - wearing even more hats than normal ;)..lemme try to catch up here.

Love this/these. I've seen updates from Chris elsewhere and commented on them so he knows I love em ;)

All great ideas.

Especially the vanilla shake, attention to endangered species, vanilla shake, proper feet to get rid of the long face, and even the vanilla shake.

*sigh* Thanks, Chris and everyone else. Now I'm craving vanilla shakes and cheesecake!!!

rofl...looks around the forum to see where Alisa stashed the refreshments...Vanilla thickshakes would be might nice right now!

*puts out some virtual milkshakes and cheesecake for everyone*

Note - if you are in the state of Massachusetts, what I'm putting out are frappes. If you ask for a milkshake there (unlike the rest of the U.S.) you get milk with flavored syrup in it..

Buzzsaw (Buzz for short) is on my Christmas card this year.[/ATTACH]

What a beauty!

Where is the edit button? I see a typo in my last post and don't see the edit button to go fix it.

I see it for this post, but not the last one. Is there a time limit on editing posts?

I'm not sure - I'll add it to the things to talk to Lisa about when she's feeling up to it. Meanwhile, if anyone can't edit something and wants it edited, send me a pm (er..start a conversation) and I'll edit for you

Having a bite of cheesecake this morning before hitting the gym. Got dessert last night at a restaurant and ended up taking it home. But... oh soooo tasty now!

Yeah baby!!!

I'll see your Yeah baby and raise it one. that sounds sooooooooo good! ;)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
So kewl to see this developing! Long before I got into horses, the big cats were my passion (well they still are actually!) I am SO jazzed to see this- I gave up trying to use the others as I pretty much ended up painting over my entire render. LOL here is a really old one I did! (like 10 years ago:)

Laurie

View attachment 671

Yeah, I remember this gorgeous image Laurie. I picked it for our desk calendar back in the day at DAZ. The best that cat ever looked in any image! Great post work.