• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

Carey

Extraordinary
I am getting real interested in this wonderful work, check it out, something was bothering me and I couldn't figure it out, I really had to look careful at pictures, but it appears what was bothering me was the nose, it is too square and I don't mean a great deal either, but the end of the nose starting sloping in towards the end of the nose out on the end. it is very subtle. there is another one half way down the nose, but really that is almost non-existant and might be part of a facial expression... Now I also want to throw you a party for not giving it flat feet, Hip Hip Hooooray! I am loving the detail work in the legs!!!!!

Carey

Extraordinary
You know when I was sculpting, I would walk around my subject, study them take visual measurements, had calipers, but never used them because I always worked larger then life. I could put in 24 hours on a sculpture and never tire On the other hand these days I can spend hours going over details for a render, but try as I might I do not have the patience to push and pull, knead that digital clay into shape... Least not for organic shapes. Now give me some cornish to design for one of my buildings, give me an old tractor to make... I think it has to be a gift, something I am missing somehow, just can't seem to get the feel for it... Here I can only stand in wonder....

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm pretty sure that it's in the store here and was released quite early on... Felis Felicis - A Sparky 3d Creation
Cat.jpg

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
You know when I was sculpting, I would walk around my subject, study them take visual measurements, had calipers, but never used them because I always worked larger then life. I could put in 24 hours on a sculpture and never tire On the other hand these days I can spend hours going over details for a render, but try as I might I do not have the patience to push and pull, knead that digital clay into shape... Least not for organic shapes. Now give me some cornish to design for one of my buildings, give me an old tractor to make... I think it has to be a gift, something I am missing somehow, just can't seem to get the feel for it... Here I can only stand in wonder....

Heck you are way ahead of me! LOL the one class I flunked when I was at Parsons School of Design was a first year 3d/sculpting etc class (pre-computer/3d world days- I graduated in 1984:) I was an A/A+ student there otherwise! I have NO talent for sculpting and so it was not a big surprise to me that I discovered I have no talent for digital 3d sculpting when I took some serious time to try it with Hexagon. Chris always blows me away with his incredible talent, as do so many here in the 3d world. I'll stick to being a texture artist:)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Texturing to the degree you do Laurie isn't easy either so don't sell yourself short, you're just as amazing just in a different way :D

Can't wait to see a preview of Kitty with his coat on :)

Last edited:

AetherDream

Breathing Life into Characters
Contributing Artist
I wonder if it will be possible to do a snow leopard with this. It would be great to have the morphs even as an add on pack later if it is not going to be in the initial release.

Carey

Extraordinary
My hands shake too much to put pen to hand any more, but the idea of a sphinx got me all excited, question was whether I was good enough to pull it off. First problem was I didn't have a lion as nice as the one being worked on here so I had to use the best one I had. I didn't do it to show any body up. Like I say, Poser is the only way I have of drawing or painting now days. I hope it serves as inspiration for you artists that are better then me...View media item 1185

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
I truly can't wait for this awesome feline and it's relatives to hit the shelves :) Any teasers as to the most likely species available ?? :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I gather it will ship with leopard, and possibly jaguar textures as the base. Others will follow.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Laurie, can I put in a request for a Snow Leopard? They've always been my favorite big game cat species.

Zaarin

Brilliant
Hey Laurie, can I put in a request for a Snow Leopard? They've always been my favorite big game cat species.
Yes! Clouded leopards too. A Canadian lynx would be nice, too. :D Hmm, though lynxes aren't exactly "big cats"--like cheetahs and cougars/panthers/pumas/whatever name you prefer, they represent an intermediary form between true big cats (leopards, lions, tigers, jaguars, etc.) and small cats. Given their very different shape, I imagine morphing the Big Cat into a lynx would take some work.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I can't wait for this big guy! (and the little guy that will follow).

I want to combine the textures so I can get a fantasy Harry with leopard print :p hehehe

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist

I will if Chris will- would need a breed morph of it's own- they are built a bit different than an African or Sri Lankan Leopard. I love them too! One of my early Bryce pieces that ended up in the old Daz Calendar was a Snow Leopard.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes! Clouded leopards too. A Canadian lynx would be nice, too. :D Hmm, though lynxes aren't exactly "big cats"--like cheetahs and cougars/panthers/pumas/whatever name you prefer, they represent an intermediary form between true big cats (leopards, lions, tigers, jaguars, etc.) and small cats. Given their very different shape, I imagine morphing the Big Cat into a lynx would take some work.

All up to Chris. If he'll model/morph them, I will texture them. I do think he was planning on a lynx/bobcat type at some point. Def lion, tiger, mountain lion etc as far as I know.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I'm thinking that after the base Leopard/Panther base product that we can go in several directions. Eventually we'll hit several major breeds. Personally I'd like to see us (Laurie, Paul and I) create a mountain lion next. Would go well with the Horse, and mule deer planned from the horse. Any cat breed will look great slinking along next to Dawn also. We have the base photo resources for the mountain lion and a bobcat too. So, I'd love to see us create those possibly next, as we did the breeds from the Horse as Laurie mentioned.

I also think though, that we'll have the elephant out in the not too distant future, and a zebra from the Horse, so... a lion and lioness should probably follow soon after to help round out those similar animals in theme. With Harry I created a bunch of horse breeds as the Horse was being created. But with the Kitty I'd like to morph out one at a time as we're deciding which is next in line. It was painful for me to sit on so many breeds waiting for them to come together. There's a huge amount of effort to get each animal to market. I'm hopeful though that with the big cat it won't take as long for each breed we decide on. We don't have the complications of the mane, tail, fetlocks, beard and unicorn horn to bog down the efforts.

Excited for this big cat though. We've got a lot of work into this base now, and Laurie's leopard map work is looking AMAZING!!! You're going to flip when you see what she's coming up with. HIVEWIRE WILL HAVE THE BEST BIG CAT AVAILABLE!!!

Along with this big cat Leopard I aim to create a cub as well, and will be hoping that Laurie will agree to map that lil' fart too. From the cub, I'll create a house cat base and hope to do a bunch of breeds from that. Then I'd like to create a base dog from this current mesh also, and probably start with a Labrador breed as the base dog to create others from.

Hopes and dreams. But we have the ability to make these a reality, and we will!!!