• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Even with the materials messed up, I think you'll agree that looks marvellous. None of my work there, apart from making things worse :(

It has long occurred to me that it ought to be relatively easy to save hair by itself - that is to say, not having to save as a .CR2 or .PZ3, but just as hair files that you can load back in with a double-click just like you can load a jacket, or a baseball cap. So here is the hair loaded back in onto a naked lion, with a single double-click. Obviously, it could be simpler to distribute this hair since it doesn't need the base model.

1HWFurReloaded.jpg

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
In and of itself I'm quite pleased with that - but another double-click and render has the same material applied to all the hair on the lion:

Now THAT I'm REALLY pleased with :D

And I wouldn't be at this stage yet were it not for Laurie's excellent Poser Dynamic Hair WIP to give me something stylish as inspiration.

1HWFurRetextured.jpg

You should bear in mind that applying a MATerial file to each and every hair object is not FAST. But it's a lot faster having the computer do it in one go than it is to have to select each hair group and apply a MATerial file manually, one at a time.

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Finally for this set of posts - and I DO apologise Laurie! - here is the same hair file loaded onto the Big Cat, with the same hair texture applied.

My project will NOT slow down the Lion, even though my project has some way to go yet. The Lion categorically does NOT need any of my work. If, however, we can manage to get any actual end-user benefit out of combining our efforts, rest assured that our aim will be for the Lion to be the best product it can be.

Cheers,

Cliff

3HWBigCat.jpg

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I'll say, and Cliff, I have to say I could never imagine a leopard with a lion's mane, so thanks for that image. ;)
No problem.

I wonder - can you imagine a dragon with a lion's mane? Because if the HW dragon's mesh doesn't change (and I am one of those who leans towards changing it!) then in theory the lion mane could load up on that. I actually did the majority of work using V4/A4/M4 and had stupid silly moments loading a beard up on A4 or simple V4 hair up on weird "critters" using the "creature creator" morphs, if I recall correctly (though that could have been my other silly hair project). In fact - here's a forum avatar that I used for a while showing the beard I made for testing with the 4th Gen Millennium figures (not a commercial release, just put together at the time as part of testing this whole idea of making Dynamic Hair useable).

M4_cjbBeard.gif

It's taken something that actually invigorates me to get me back to work on it - and Laurie's WIP lion is something I cannot praise enough.

It's taken small steps every day and I have to say that it is SO much better than my 2007/8 era efforts. It just really helps to have an encouraging bunch of people around who have tall shoulders that I can stand upon. And there are several projects here that really appeal to me - Elephants, obviously, and Dragons and Lions Oh My!

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I have no idea at all I'm afraid - it's likely to be a while. Designing hair and making it LOOK GOOD is gosh-darned hard work!

Meanwhile, even loading the Cat Preset is currently more work than it should be because I have "Grow" turned off by default as I was working on it recently and wanted it "shaved" for doing that. So it currently takes about twice the effort it should to load a preset:

Cheers,

Cliff

Carey

Extraordinary
I have no idea at all I'm afraid - it's likely to be a while. Designing hair and making it LOOK GOOD is gosh-darned hard work!

Meanwhile, even loading the Cat Preset is currently more work than it should be because I have "Grow" turned off by default as I was working on it recently and wanted it "shaved" for doing that. So it currently takes about twice the effort it should to load a preset:

Cheers,

Cliff
If you want a pity party, I can bring a base fiddle...lol in other words and have tried what your trying, luckily I stopped just before sanity left me permanently...lol

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
If you want a pity party, I can bring a base fiddle...lol in other words and have tried what your trying, luckily I stopped just before sanity left me permanently...lol

I confess I thought I was in another thread... and driving me mad is a pretty short journey. Fortunately it's going pretty well as long as I don't forget how fragile Poser can be.

The Lion on the other hand... that looks like it's going brilliantly, but gosh is that ever slow hard work! I am happy that it's not me that has to do it :D

Cheers,

Cliff

quietrob

Extraordinary
This is something I almost understand. I want to make a mink stole like the elegant ladies of Film Noir. Yet getting the hair right on any type of shawl just doesn't work the way I think it should. It's really hard!

eclark1894

Visionary
This is something I almost understand. I want to make a mink stole like the elegant ladies of Film Noir. Yet getting the hair right on any type of shawl just doesn't work the way I think it should. It's really hard!
Yeah, I was thinking of doing one myself to go along with that fur hat I did. The only reason I didn't was because Traci already did the fur coat, so a stole just seemed like overkill.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Yeah, I was thinking of doing one myself to go along with that fur hat I did. The only reason I didn't was because Traci already did the fur coat, so a stole just seemed like overkill.
There's a fur coat? Where did you find it? I've looked everywhere for a conforming fur coat! The only one I've found is really a very good leather coat but isn't reminiscent of the classic look.

A mink stole is a bit different and has it's own classic allure. That's been impossible to find as well.
Mink Stole.jpg Mink Stole 2.jpg

Last edited:

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Hmmmmm, now THAT's a thought. Hmmmmm, I wonder how that would work.

My usual problem is that I have more ideas than time. I must admit I'm tempted to play around with the idea, but I simply don't have time. The model ought to be pretty easy though, and have polygons that are as consistent in size as possible.

Cheers,

Cliff