• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

Angela Knight

Inspired
I hope the lion is finished soon. I'm writing a book with a lion character, and I really want to put your big cat on the cover. It's highly realistic, and I think it will look more natural with my Daz character than photoshoping a real lion. Any idea on ETA? I would like to do the cover soon.

Angela Knight
www.angealsknights.com

quietrob

Extraordinary
It's not the "grid image" that is the issue or concern. I'm only showing the grid image on the model to show where stretching occurs on the model so that I can try my best to minimize the UV stretching across the entire model. I can show this leopard with a smaller grid on him and then you might say "yes this is better, the grid is now smaller on the ears, so I must have more detailing available to me now".

View attachment 5359 View attachment 5360 View attachment 5361

This whole UV process is a bit of a compromise. I'm concerned about minimizing the stretching, and so I try my best to relax the UVs and try to normalize the flow and layout. I'm also trying to minimize the seams that would have to be painted over. I also want to maximize the UV space by filling in the UV area as much as possible. Of course if I have to put things on different layers I can do that. The horse UVs are all on one layer for the animal portion at least. Then I have the eyes on a separate layer that certainly doesn't have to be a 6000 x 6000 map like the body. The mane is on another layer, and I think I put the fetlocks and tail on another layer.

For this Kitty I'm going to have 2 layers. One for the animal, with teeth, whiskers, tongue, claws included, which will be 6K x 6K. And the eyes will be on a separate layer and will be a smaller file size then 6K x 6K.

Having said this, I'm happy to make the footprint on the ears and paws larger, BUT if I do this you will certainly have a higher detailed area for the ears and paws that will not match the detail of the body, and that could offer yet another challenge to match one to the other in addition to the seam work.

Sparky alluded that the Mule deer morph from the Horse shows the inner ear with lesser detail on the map. True, this will happen by nature of the morphing process on more extreme morphs. Obviously its a marriage and compromise on the mesh density also. But also know that the inner ear on Harry's UVs are separate and that map can be made larger without having to redo the UV layout.

Laurie and I have discussed this a bit in email, and for now she'd like to see the ears on a larger footprint and try the paws as they are, so we'll do that and go from there. I personally think they should be similar is size to the rest of the animal so the detailing will match better.

Whatever the case, we'll end up with a great set up in my view. One that hopefully with be acceptable to Sparky and Lyne and anyone else that might have interest in creating morphs and maps for Kitty.
Pinging for knowledge. This is valuable information for those of getting into modeling and learning how to ease texturing. Ping!
P.S. That ping makes it easier for searching later.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Been working on sizing the Lioness to the Lion this evening. Also, still smaller eyes on the Lion, and smaller whiskers too.

Leopard364.JPG
Leopard366.JPG
Leopard367.JPG

Leopard368.JPG
Leopard369.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Genitals for the Lion. Can't get much more out of the mesh I created on the default base. But, in my opinion, this should suffice for general appearance.

Leopard371.JPG

Leopard372.JPG
Leopard373.JPG

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Looking good. Especially, the additional tweek bit.

Not that I'm going to render the lions all that often from behind. Especially, with that gorgeous mane.

He'd make a great Lion head fountain!

upload_2017-10-29_10-24-29.png

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
LOL Ken! Yes I grabbed the entire series version for Kindle back when I was working on Taka, and read the majority of them. Very fun!

And @carmen indorato if you know anything about me by now, I do hunky guy images, not chick images:) So hence my Taka with the lion:) I'll leave the Jane and Sheena images for the many that love to do images of the 3d gals.:)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I have some ORIGINAL ERB books passed down to me from my Dad!! I grew up near Tarzana.... !
@CWRW do you mean you will do the half dark part of the mane ALSO- like the original artist's/movies had for the lion/Tarzan movies/books?